PDA

View Full Version : Long time no .....Mag troubleshooting

headcase
07-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Ok, after years of not having a mech mag (you can see the last one I built here (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126487&page=1&pp=30).) I decided that since I was now living in Chicago I should add one back to my collection. So I bought a brand new ULE RTPro from AGD directly.

Now that was back in May and it went on the shelf for a couple of months for various reasons and I finally got around to putting air in it last week. Nothing. As in nothing happened.

OK, that isn't exactly try, but it surely did not shoot. The trigger pin would move forward, but pulling the trigger did nothing. I adjusted the velocity adjuster the way through the range with no change.

I changed the number of shims in the ULT trigger, tried 0, tried 7 and a couple in between, nothing.

I turned my ASA on, and then screwed the tank in, nothing.

I really do not know what is going on, anyone want to throw some ideas out?

AGD ULT RTPro
Level X
Ult Trigger
Inteliframe.
Two or three different HP screw in air systems (not optimal I know, but the 800 or so PSI should be fine.)

Thanks!
SSDD

vf-xx
07-27-2009, 03:17 PM
LX carrier too tight?

headcase
07-27-2009, 03:35 PM
LX carrier too tight?

Don't know, is that a question or a suggestion? :)

I actually think the issue is occurring before the bolt since there is no venting at all, which is what I would suspect if the carrier was too tight.

Also, shouldn't the AIR valve vent if the velocity adjuster is bottomed out? that didn't happen either.

SSDD

xero28
07-27-2009, 03:41 PM
When the trigger pin moves forward, how far does it go? Is there a space left between the trigger and the pin? If the pin is too far forward, the trigger may be hindering the gun from cocking correctly. That's the only thing I can think of at the moment. Good luck.

Smoothice
07-27-2009, 06:30 PM
does your tank have air?

Output pressure of tank over 800 psi?

Did it ever work?

flyingpootang
07-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Don't know, is that a question or a suggestion? :)

I actually think the issue is occurring before the bolt since there is no venting at all, which is what I would suspect if the carrier was too tight.

Also, shouldn't the AIR valve vent if the velocity adjuster is bottomed out? that didn't happen either.

SSDD

You L10 bolt would leak if the carrier was to loose. Use the looest carrier that doesn't leak while using the same L10 o-ring. You may need to retune the L10 again after it breaks in approx 1000 cycles...

headcase
07-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks for info guys, I'll check the things and get back to you.

FYI -- This was a brand new marker direct from AGD, came with the chrono slip, so I have to assume it was working at one point. My thought was input pressure, I guess I could rig a pressure tester to get an idea of what the presets are outputting.

SSDD

athomas
07-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Weather and sitting for a while don't always mix, especially a generically setup marker. You should retune your gun.

Remove all the level 10 shims from the powertube. Put in the shortest gold bolt spring. Install the largest carrier and oring that does not leak. When testing carrier sizes, always use the same white carrier oring. Once you get the gun to fire reliably without leaking, then go to the ULT tuning. Add ULT shims untill you get runaway or coughing. Then remove the one that caused it. Once the gun is setup, you can change bolt springs to get a softer operation without having to change carrier sizes again. You will have to change the velocity setting for each bolt spring.

Don't worry about installing the powertube shims. They are only needed if you have issues with the bolt moving forward, not venting air, and sticking there. If the gun shoots or vents air and has bolt stick issues, adding shims will not help. That is a carrier or ULT issue. See above.

headcase
07-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks .... I hope to be able to take a look at it on Sunday, I'm just too busy to sit down and do it during the week.

SSDD