PDA

View Full Version : what causes nicks/dings/chew on bolt face

pump
07-28-2009, 06:11 AM
i got some chew on the outside rim of the face of my bolt

any ideas whats causing it

Frizzle Fry
07-28-2009, 06:13 AM
What kind of body is it? What bolt system?

secretweaponevan
07-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Sounds like you don't have/didn't have the proper 1/16" gap between the back of the trigger and the tip of the sear rod when the marker was gassed up and the safety was on.

This will cause bolt nibbling.

pump
07-28-2009, 07:30 AM
lvl7 ULE body

Van, really, how does that nib the front of the bolt?

secretweaponevan
07-28-2009, 05:19 PM
lvl7 ULE body

Evan, really, how does that nib the front of the bolt?

If the sear is only grabbing the very very edge of the bolt, it will start chipping and nibbling the edge of the bolt.

If you don't have the proper gap, this can happen.

pump
07-28-2009, 05:31 PM
but will it nib the face of the bolt?
whats where im getting it

mr doo doo
07-28-2009, 05:41 PM
i think secretweaponevan is talking about the lip of the bolt, near the bottom where the sear catches onto. but i believe you are talking about the very tip of the bolt, where it makes contact with the ball right?

secretweaponevan
07-28-2009, 06:04 PM
i think secretweaponevan is talking about the lip of the bolt, near the bottom where the sear catches onto. but i believe you are talking about the very tip of the bolt, where it makes contact with the ball right?

LOL, missed that thanks.

pump, are you using wire nubbins? If so, check your nubbin.

maniacmechanic
07-28-2009, 07:05 PM
detent in too far ?? the front of the bolt should never touch anything except a paintball , the spring holds it back & returns it , the only thing it could hit is the breech or the detent , look for marks at the rear of the breech
Forget all the breech stuff I just went & looked , the bolt actually sets in the reat of the breech when at rest ( that why the X Mag breech is made the way it is ) so really the only thing it could hit is the detent OR somebodys been shootin marbles again , shame shame

pump
07-28-2009, 07:22 PM
yeah ill check my ULE body detent

could the spring ever touch the tip of the bolt?

secretweaponevan
07-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Wow I'm out of it. /ignore me.

ta2maki
07-28-2009, 08:35 PM
yeah ill check my ULE body detent

could the spring ever touch the tip of the bolt?

Maybe if the spring is bent out of shape. I believe the spring is made from square wire is so that the spring will compress straight and not touch the bolt.

maniacmechanic
07-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Wow I'm out of it. /ignore me.

I ALLWAYS pay attention to what you say , I think your one of the best & yes you can have a I got no sleep & feel like the dead day ( but only 1 a year :) )

maniacmechanic
07-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Maybe if the spring is bent out of shape. I believe the spring is made from square wire is so that the spring will compress straight and not touch the bolt.

the front of the bolt sets in front of the spring , remember you compress it when you put the valve in

Ando
07-28-2009, 09:58 PM
I use to get nicks in the front of my bolt when my wire nubbin would break off. But your using a ULE so that's out of the question. I really don't know what else it could be. Maybe someone was messing round with your gun and used the valve on a standard SS body which would explain the nicks from a broken wire nubbin

pump
07-29-2009, 03:29 AM
weird huh

secretweaponevan
07-29-2009, 07:05 AM
I ALLWAYS pay attention to what you say , I think your one of the best & yes you can have a I got no sleep & feel like the dead day ( but only 1 a year :) )

Hehe thanks. Been having a rough 4 months and it just caught up with me this weekend.

There is always athomas and Mann to correct me when I stray too far from the coop. Those guys are really really good.

Newt
07-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Messed up barrel is my only thought. Many (?all) barrels have a taper near the breech to ensure things go in straight, then it necks down to the ball diameter. I'm thinking yours has a ding that's not serious enough to mess with the ball, but it's banging the bolt.

The only other thing I can think of is you dropped your lvl7 on a cement floor.

Don't bonus ball me if I'm completely off base there. :D

pump
07-29-2009, 03:25 PM
hahahaha only if you keep playing on

barrel is fine
im wondering if the bolt kinked at an angle, but i dont see the body with any marks
could the spring be nicking it?
does the bolt go that far back?

Newt
07-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Bolt shouldn't be 'kinked' unless it's an OLD A.I.R. valve with the ring clip holding on the powertube (ex: the one in the Tom Kaye videos). If that happened, the gun would get crazy bolt stick.

The spring can't nick the bolt. Spring steel is much softer than the stainless steel the bolt is made from. The spring will wear/deform way before the bolt will.

pump
07-29-2009, 10:09 PM
also does the spring pass the tip of the bolt?

athomas
07-30-2009, 06:57 AM
The bolt tip sticks out past the body washer that holds the bolt spring back. There is no way the bolt spring could nick the front of the bolt. Any nicks on the front of the bolt have to come from the breach area. Is the feedneck screwed in too far? Also, the original bodies had detent holes that were drilled too deep causing the detents to screw too far into the body. If that is the case, you need to put an extra oring on the detent before putting it in the body. That may be your problem.

flyingpootang
07-30-2009, 11:19 AM
The bolt tip sticks out past the body washer that holds the bolt spring back. There is no way the bolt spring could nick the front of the bolt. Any nicks on the front of the bolt have to come from the breach area. Is the feedneck screwed in too far? Also, the original bodies had detent holes that were drilled too deep causing the detents to screw too far into the body. If that is the case, you need to put an extra oring on the detent before putting it in the body. That may be your problem.
I agree with athomas. Look into the breach, at the detent and barrel for wear marks nicks etc...

pump
07-30-2009, 10:16 PM
detent was fine

athomas
07-31-2009, 07:20 AM
Like flyingpootank said, check the back of the barrel and the inside of the breach for marks as well. If the stainless is dinged, then something else is marked as well.

pump
07-31-2009, 07:29 AM
again barrel is fine! perfect even!

athomas
07-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Maybe something got in the breach for a few shots, caused the nicks, but isn't there anymore. Can you post a few clear pics of the bolt showing the nicks?

pump
07-31-2009, 07:20 PM
yeah thats a possibility
ill try post a pic

its a LVL 7 bolt those are cheep as hell so im not too worried if its not the body getting damaged(which i cant see if there is at all....woot)

also how about a worn bolt spring ID or OD?
would that make the bolt wobble and hit the body somehow?

Newt
07-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Meh. I'm still sticking to the "Little sister dropped it on the cement floor" theory.

pump
07-31-2009, 07:31 PM
hahahahaha if thats true ima lose um

pump
08-03-2009, 10:08 PM
geez i just found out what it is

the bolt hits the top area of the detent hole and feedneck milling

so i need to find out why the bolt is pushed up and to the right...up and to the right...up and to the right

i think it was my on off shims pushing the top of the body higher
ill take them out and see what happens....to borrow my friends lvl 7 bolts they never use

Ando
08-03-2009, 10:26 PM
WTF :confused:

What type of body do you have?

mr doo doo
08-04-2009, 12:58 AM
hmmm, maybe either the trigger frame screw or the field strip screw is in too tight, causing something to warp...like the rail or the body. just a guess...

Adam45
08-04-2009, 01:38 AM
hmmm, maybe either the trigger frame screw or the field strip screw is in too tight, causing something to warp...like the rail or the body. just a guess...
Check the trigger frame screw is to tight or to long.

pump
08-04-2009, 01:39 AM
lvl7 ULE body
:argh:

athomas
08-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Check that the pim on the bottom of the body is not too long and bottoming out without letting the body sit tight against the rail.

pump
08-04-2009, 05:02 PM
well i htink its the combo is an over tight frame body screw, and the on off shims i put it

it was sticking down a bit more than it should of been forcing the valve up, and the body down

my pin is not that long, its just right, but i like to time it as long as possible to save the bolt and sear