PDA

View Full Version : Gear Cleaning.

vf-xx
08-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Why is it that people don't clean their gear after playing? Especially when selling it?

Been doing a fair amount of buying / trading lately, and I've been getting a suprising amount of fairly dirty gear?

Personally I clean my equipment after every day of play, think it helps longevity. Ok, I understand, if you play very frequently (which I don't) I can sort of understand why one might not clean it ater every day of play, but at least clean it before you ship it!!!

*meh.

/end rant.

Watcher
08-05-2009, 08:49 PM
All of my gear stays pristine. Every hit gets washed off ASAP, and at the end of the day all my stuff gets washed, the guns get oiled, and every sratch, dent, ding, and mark gets babied until it is gone or reduced.

But, that is me. Others would rather take it in to be cleaned at a shop, or not clean it at all.
With an automag, I don't see what is so hard about at least dunking it in water or something...

OPBN
08-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah, it's amazing how dirty some gear is when I get it. I actually got a package deal with a classsic valved mag, VL revvy and some other bits. The marker was so dirty that the bolt was sticking. Paint was caked inside the slots of the bolt, inside the grip etc. The Revvy wasn;t working because there was so much paint caked inside the sensor that I don't think it was registering. I'm assuming the guy sold it because he thought everything was broken. The pod pack smelled so bad that when I opened the box, I nearly fell over. Apparently, someone didn't realize it was able to be thrown into a washing machine. I keep my gear clean, and anytime someone gets something from me, it's super clean. Maybe moreso than when I keep it. Wish I could say the same for my car.

Watcher
08-05-2009, 08:53 PM
I actually got a package deal with a classsic valved mag, VL revvy and some other bits. The marker was so dirty that the bolt was sticking. Paint was caked inside the slots of the bolt, inside the grip etc.

Same thing for my RT Classic, only it had stripped screws as well.

BiNumber3
08-05-2009, 09:01 PM
yea, but a lot of these people prolly don't even clean their rooms and are so used to the smell they think it's normal....

FiXeL
08-05-2009, 09:50 PM
The worst you can do is to not clean immediatly. Paint fill does stain if you leave it on there for a few days. After everyday of play i'll wash everything besides my pack. If that looks clean, i'll skip it sometimes, but i wash it often enough to prevent it from getting a funky smell.

Other gear gets also cleaned, masks always get a proper cleaning to prevent that gym odor... Pods i clean after there's some paint broken in it, or dirt, same for loaders.

Doesnt matter how tired i am, clothes and mask get cleaned the same day after play. Markers i usually skip to the next day or so, since staining is not really a issue. If it's just spray i'll whipe them down with some window cleaner, and if there were some hits or breaks i'll dissasemble the gun and clean it proper.

buzzboy
08-05-2009, 10:09 PM
With my mag(of the past) I broke it apart as far as possible without taking apart the reg to clean it after every day. The BKO before that had the electronics removed and the all the metal parts washed in soapy water. The viking takes more to take apart but it gets a full clean every 5 or so plays and sooner if dirty.

The only things that don't get washed regularly are my Jersey(LS Tshirt really) and my PGP. The jersey has gone "there" and will never come back. The pgp gets taken apart and oiled but the body no longer gets cleaned as the nice shiny surface of the polished brass doesn't stay nice. So it has a nice exterior patina.

But, if you're selling and want good feedback, CLEAN IT FIRST.

georgeyew
08-05-2009, 10:35 PM
You guys do know that you are on the hook now. Everytime you sell something, it'll have to be clean as a whistle :rofl:

My stuff is the same way. You'll never find a speck of paint/dirt anywhere.

zondo
08-05-2009, 11:02 PM
I haven't seen a whole lot of dirty gear here, BEO, or PBL. But good Lord, PBN... if the pants look brown, they are actually black.

minimag03
08-05-2009, 11:16 PM
I clean most everything with in a day on playing. I haven't taken my hopper apart in months though; it's in bad shape but still works well :dance:

StygShore
08-06-2009, 01:36 PM
I think its more the people play A LOT possibly both days every weekend - I know when I played every week and then some, my stuff tended to collect enough paint and crud to stand up on its own befor eI threw it all in the wash to knock off a few layers.

Normally now, my gear gets washed about every 2 times out to play.

Styg

vf-xx
08-06-2009, 01:46 PM
I think its more the people play A LOT possibly both days every weekend - I know when I played every week and then some, my stuff tended to collect enough paint and crud to stand up on its own befor eI threw it all in the wash to knock off a few layers.

Normally now, my gear gets washed about every 2 times out to play.

Styg

I can understand that, but still, at least you clean it after the 2nd day, you don't store it dirty long term. Much less ship it out crusty.