PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of 2009 has the game changed much in 3 years

chuey
08-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Jumping back on the forum brings back memories. Just wondering if much has changed in the past 3-4 years about the game?

Back when Top Gun paintball was my favorite field around NYC. Every weekend there would be this group of 12-14 year olds that all played on teams or something and all had the latest 'cockers or and then eblades. They could run the 40 yard dash like a running back. I remember them as being the hardest players to try and tag, like little fleas leaping 30 feet at a time, lol. Out of curiosity, I dialed up my tank once and let the trigger go reactive and still couldn't get a bead on them, lol.

Then there was the old guy with the cocker and then later eblade. I loved that guy, at least once a weekend he would do the dead man's walk and tag like 5 people. He shot me up once too. Fun times, can't wait to start playing again. At skirmish I walked around the other games and didn't see as many players with their own equipment as I once had. How has paintball been doing these days? PBNation is looking monstrous these days btw.

badpennny
08-06-2009, 06:48 PM
It's hard to pick out subtle changes in such a short time frame...I think my first game was in 1996 when I was in 7th grade. Since that time, I have noticed a few changes that seem to transcend whatever field I happen to play at:

1. Age of players. There are a lot more kids/teenagers involved these days.

2. Attitudes. Less walk-on players with their own gear seem interested in helping new players become acquainted with the game. "Newbie" used to almost be a term of endearment, and I always remembered APG devoting significant article space to discussing fundamentals for these players. Now it's turned into "N00B," as in, "did you see me pwn those noobs with rentals?! rotflmao!"

Maybe the culture is changing at fields...since paintball has become less of a niche activity and more mainstream, the clientele feel less ownership of paintball as a hobby, hence they are less focused on bringing new players into the mix and getting them up to speed on how the game should be played.

The younger crown seems to really embrace the electro and wants to know how many bps you can shoot, etc, and is less focused on tactics, skill, basic maintenance, sportsmanship, etc. I guess some things stay the same;)

Maybe item 2 is a function of 1...I'm sure people who have been in it much longer than me can add their 2 cents.

drg
08-06-2009, 06:57 PM
I think paintball as a whole has improved in the last 3 years. 3 years ago everything was agg and tourney-centric. The worsening economy has seen the failure of the NPPL and a dialing back of things like the arms race and the win at all costs mentality. BPS limits have drastically changed the attitude toward equipment. Scenario/woods is rising to prominence, as is pump play. PBN is better than it was 3 years ago, if only through attrition of the agg crowd.

snoopay700
08-06-2009, 08:04 PM
It's hard to pick out subtle changes in such a short time frame...I think my first game was in 1996 when I was in 7th grade. Since that time, I have noticed a few changes that seem to transcend whatever field I happen to play at:

1. Age of players. There are a lot more kids/teenagers involved these days.

2. Attitudes. Less walk-on players with their own gear seem interested in helping new players become acquainted with the game. "Newbie" used to almost be a term of endearment, and I always remembered APG devoting significant article space to discussing fundamentals for these players. Now it's turned into "N00B," as in, "did you see me pwn those noobs with rentals?! rotflmao!"

Maybe the culture is changing at fields...since paintball has become less of a niche activity and more mainstream, the clientele feel less ownership of paintball as a hobby, hence they are less focused on bringing new players into the mix and getting them up to speed on how the game should be played.

The younger crown seems to really embrace the electro and wants to know how many bps you can shoot, etc, and is less focused on tactics, skill, basic maintenance, sportsmanship, etc. I guess some things stay the same;)

Maybe item 2 is a function of 1...I'm sure people who have been in it much longer than me can add their 2 cents.
Yeah, that's why i like seeing the older guys who will help out newer people. Although when i play with new people i will generally talk tactics with them but prefer to be more on my own, heh i'm a person who started playing when it started to be moer team oriented and i'm more of a lone wolf type of player.

Mongoose
08-07-2009, 08:11 AM
TopGun is still the great place it used to be.....You should join us this Sunday for the "Alamo" game :cheers:

skife
08-07-2009, 09:07 AM
i havn't played much in the past 3 years.
but, 2 nights ago i delivered about 6 pizzas to some guys house and the first thing i noitced while walking up the driveway is their LP tank was covered in paint. I get to the garage and there are about 12-15 kids there waiting for pizza, they spent that day playing paintball in the woods. some kid said they shot 3500 paintballs, there we're new cases still on the floor of the garage, along with a bunch of tippmanns, and a bulk co2 tank with a scale next to it.

i think the woods scene is starting to pick up again, people can't afford to shoot alot anymore.

cockerpunk
08-07-2009, 09:55 AM
but you shoot more paint in the woods then playing speedball?

Shirow
08-07-2009, 10:04 AM
I certainly don't..

ezcreation
08-07-2009, 10:11 AM

Not even close

Mongoose
08-07-2009, 10:16 AM

thats a toss up.....usually i would say no...but in big scenario games i would have to agree

cockerpunk
08-07-2009, 10:35 AM
i shoot at least double in the woods. its far more difficult to hit anything in the woods with all the brush. in speedball, its pretty easy, nice clean open lanes.

snoopay700
08-07-2009, 02:15 PM
i shoot at least double in the woods. its far more difficult to hit anything in the woods with all the brush. in speedball, its pretty easy, nice clean open lanes.
That is very true, depending. I shoot more in speedball with a pump than i do in the woods because i can't lay down the fire as well so i have to rely more on sneaking so i can be sure i can hit them, but speedball i tend to fire more just because i can see easier. I'm also way better playing pump on speedball than woods.

With a semi auto gun, i can definitely shoot more in the woods, although again it depends.

kwood
08-07-2009, 02:59 PM
i tend to shoot more in speedball because in the woods the cover to hind behind always has little nooks and crannys to shoot through
also it is easier to be sneaky :ninja: and flank someone for that sweet one shot one kill
speedball snap shooting tends to drain my hopper more than anything
but maybe i just suck at speedball....

punkncat
08-07-2009, 03:23 PM
The ROF went from 15 to 13, and in some cases 10.
Sponsorships are almost nowhere to be found.
Attendence at many events is really down.

But overall, I think rec ball is getting better for it. I see a lot of "old schoolers" coming back out to the field. No one can afford to just blow through paint anymore, and it is a nice change to see.