PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for a leaky Regulator Piston Assy.

Ando
08-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Does anyone know what would cause the Reg Piston Assy to leak out the back?

Packings are all changed and I've thrown plenty of oil into the gun so I'm at a loss...

Edit: Yaa...Post 300

vf-xx
08-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Reg piston oring bad/broken/missing? One of the two that are between the valves?

Ando
08-09-2009, 05:17 PM
I've cked all the packing. Even compaired my other valve to that one and everything is there. If i install a piston from another valve, the leak stops so...

I'm lookig at pop the Reg piston open. They say not to but maybe there's a packing of some sort inside. Does anyone know if it has internal packings?

Ir0nExpress
08-09-2009, 05:50 PM
http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=30&categoryID=18

Sounds like your problem?

Ando
08-13-2009, 07:29 AM
I just popped open the piston (note: it’s not threaded, it’s pressed together). It basically looks like the classic valve piston with the allen key insert, spring, metal plate and the rubber seal. I gave the allen key insert a ¼ turn in to compress the spring a little so we’ll see how it goes. Hopefully it works and I don't have to buy another one. I probably should anyways. :rolleyes:

flyingpootang
08-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Usually it's the reg piston o-ring that is nicked...

Ando
08-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Usually it's the reg piston o-ring that is nicked...
I've already changed out the packing and it's still leaking. It's not leaking all the time. Only time it leaks is when I adj it right at the point where the mag fires. If I back it off a 1/16 of a turn it stops leaking but won't fire. So it has to be something internal. One thing I did notice was the allen key adjuster thing inside was a little loose. So I’m thinking it just backed off from where it was suppose to be.

We'll see when I get back home to fire it.

Ando
08-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Well...Looks like that fixed it. There's a rubber piece inside that was the actual problem. There's something inside that created a grove on it and basically keep it from sealing. I just turned it 180 so the smooth part was facing the hole at the forward part of the piston and BAM!!! No leak.
Hopefully that holds for another 10+ years :p

athomas
08-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Once the rubber piece seats itself, it will eventually leak. You need a new higher pressure piston assembly. Since you had yours apart, add a shim to add more tension to the spring. That will increase the pressure release pressure and should stop your leak.

Ando
08-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Once the rubber piece seats itself, it will eventually leak. You need a new higher pressure piston assembly. Since you had yours apart, add a shim to add more tension to the spring. That will increase the pressure release pressure and should stop your leak.
I was going to do just that if turning the rubber seal around didn't fix the problem but it did so my Retro should be good for another 13 years :) If it comes back I'll add the shims.

athomas
08-16-2009, 01:50 PM
I was going to do just that if turning the rubber seal around didn't fix the problem but it did so my Retro should be good for another 13 years :) If it comes back I'll add the shims.You'll be adding shims sooner than later, I'm guessing. The level 10 wasn't around 13 years ago, so the lower operating pressures didn't operate near the release pressure of the piston assembly like it does now.