PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking advice

Lohman446
08-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Going to do some backpacking on the trails up north. Little bit of fishing / little bit of hunting from it. My fiancee and I will do this together, but I will end up carrying most of the gear.

Any advice on packs - right now its between a Kelty Red Cloud 5000 and Coyote 4750. Since we are going to do mostly 2-3 day things I am of the thoughts that this is probably enough. Both packs seem to fit, and I did not overly like any of the external frames I tried on. Are these mistakes, are there different brands I should look at etc.?

Thordic
08-10-2009, 08:58 AM
We're spoiled here in NJ because Campmor is based like 15 minutes from me so I can just go to the store, but do you have anything similar near you?

If so, I reccomend going in. Different packs will fit you differently, and the guys at the store will work with you to find a pack that fits properly and make sure you know how to strap it on. At Campmor, they have weighted sacks they use to imitate a full load and will make you try the pack on with weight to make sure its comfortable and sits right.

All I know is that if you have a pack that isn't comfortable, you'll be miserable. Hopefully you have some sort of similar store out there that can help you out.

Army
08-10-2009, 07:56 PM
3 large leaf/lawn bags. 2 MRE spoons (in case one gets dirty). A ball peen hammer. And 1 tennis shoe.

That's all you need for any trekking or survival situation. Now go and have fun.

Thordic
08-11-2009, 08:57 AM
I would just like to add...

My fiancee and I will do this together, but I will end up carrying most of the gear.
Sucker!

Lohman446
08-11-2009, 11:29 AM
I found a Kelty 5000 ST that fit well for a large back on me - considering most of what fit me were fairly small. I actually liked the fit better than a lot of small packs, a couple annoyances but nothing I can't live with. Truth be told one of the Garrity packs fit me pretty well but it was a bit smaller than I was going to deal wiht space wise (like 3000CI).

So, my list so far:

Glock 20 10MM pistol
One spare magazine
Gerber camp axe combo (with knife)
Pocket knife and crescent wrench (these are always in my pocket)

I assume I will want a leatherman or similiar - any particular ones I should look at?

2 person Apex tent

Do I really need one of the pads for under the tent?

Sleeping bags
Ground pads for under sleeping bags
Camp pillows

Rope - adequate rope to tie up the food pack away from camp - any info on how much is enough or things like that? Rope is rope when its not involved in climibg right?

Water - how much water per person per day? - since these first few are going to be short trips I am not inclined to buy a purifier yet. Speaking of though when I do I am thinking the Steripen kits seem to be the best option.

Food

BlackVCG
08-11-2009, 01:27 PM
My brother-in-law just got finished hiking the California portion of the PCT so I've learned a handful of things from his experience about backpacking and I know a few things from my own time getting out on the trail.

First of all... bad *** handgun. 10mm rocks. I have the weakened version of that cartridge (Sig P226 in .40 S&W)

Leathermans seem like a great thing to carry, but honestly I've had one for the longest time and never use it. I always have my Kershaw pocket knife and that does what I need it to do 99% of the time. The only thing a leatherman will give you is the pliers, but I'm not sure when you'll need those unless you're going fishing and need to pull a swallowed hook out...

By pad under the tent do you mean the footprint? If so, absolutely you need that. They will save the bottom of your tent from wear and tear and also keep out moisture. Footprints cost ~$20... new tents cost a few hundred. A lot cheaper to replace a footprint than the bottom of the tent which = a new tent.

Rope is rope if you're just using it to tie off things...

Water entirely depends on how hard you're pushing. I would say 3/4 gallon a day if you're going to be pushing hard and more like 1/4 - 1/2 gallon a day if it's a moderate hike. Also, my brother-in-law used one of those steri-pens and it worked extremely well on the PCT for him. Can't remember the model or brand, but I can get back to you on that.

Don't forget a good flashlight. I like my Surefire... plus it doubles as a weapon.

Thordic
08-11-2009, 02:19 PM
I'd scrap the leatherman, you already are carrying a knife and that should be all you need. And wtf do you need a crescent wrench for?

I'd suggest one of these so you aren't leaving your droppings all over:

http://survivalinfo.co.uk/stores/images/gerber_folding_shovel.jpg

It weighs like a lb and is good enough for its purpose. A folding entrenching tool works too, but its heavier and bigger.

Lohman446
08-11-2009, 03:17 PM
I'd scrap the leatherman, you already are carrying a knife and that should be all you need. And wtf do you need a crescent wrench for?

I'd suggest one of these so you aren't leaving your droppings all over:

http://survivalinfo.co.uk/stores/images/gerber_folding_shovel.jpg

It weighs like a lb and is good enough for its purpose. A folding entrenching tool works too, but its heavier and bigger.

I watched my dad once force a carburetor to work with a pocketknife, crescent wrench, and paperclip. Since then I have carried a crescent wrench. Good call on the shovel though, it was on the list at one point and got forgotten

Always confusing when stopped at a light and you hear the words "go remove the choke".

SCpoloRicker
08-11-2009, 09:31 PM
My only input would be to restate that you should try to test out packs weighted if at all possible.

/although it is kinda funny that the first item on the "camping list" is the Glock ;)

Lohman446
08-11-2009, 10:10 PM
My only input would be to restate that you should try to test out packs weighted if at all possible.

/although it is kinda funny that the first item on the "camping list" is the Glock ;)

Only because Para doesn't make an LDA in 10MM - though I did look at a Ruger Alaskan today - I just don't think the short barrel gives the 454 Cassul time to burn enough to get all the power potential and I would be better off with a slighter longer barreled 45LC loaded to max pressure, or even a 44MAG.

Warwitch
08-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Bear mace.

Lohman446
08-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Bear mace.

My Bear mace is delivered in 10MM form - after all the biggest I am likely to cross is going to be well under 400lbs, and even that is not likely.

Thordic
08-12-2009, 08:36 AM
For rope, if you are just using it for food, I'd use clothesline. Its light, strong, and cheap.

Fred
08-12-2009, 01:34 PM
if you're going to be lighting campfires, a small hatchet will do wonders for breaking down kindling.

dont forget to BREAK IN YOUR BOOTS PRE-HIKE... especially your fiance... :cheers:

Lohman446
08-12-2009, 01:38 PM
We are doing a short 11 mile trail the first time, actually the intent is to pack in one evening, stay that night and the next night, and then come home. Considering I don't intend to be more than five miles off the trail head I am thinking of wearing my off road running shoes anyways -and they are pretty broken in. I ran the trails up in the porcupine mountains with them and they seem to be ok.

secretweaponevan
08-12-2009, 07:16 PM
I HIGHLY recommend bringing a crank LED flashlight that can charge a cell phone. For safety on many fronts, it is worth the weight.

http://www.gadgethq.com/hand-crank-led-flashlight-cell-phone-charger-p-13.html

MANN
08-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Any advice on packs - ?

I have nothing to offer. Other than make sure it comes with 4 wheels, and a motor. Good luck :cheers:

babyface
08-12-2009, 10:11 PM
check out the holeb bushman. i picked one up for my pack for those deep woods hunting trips.

http://www.holeboutdoors.com/Camp_Tools_Details.htm

babyface
08-12-2009, 10:16 PM
We're spoiled here in NJ because Campmor is based like 15 minutes from me so I can just go to the store, but do you have anything similar near you?

If so, I reccomend going in. Different packs will fit you differently, and the guys at the store will work with you to find a pack that fits properly and make sure you know how to strap it on. At Campmor, they have weighted sacks they use to imitate a full load and will make you try the pack on with weight to make sure its comfortable and sits right.

All I know is that if you have a pack that isn't comfortable, you'll be miserable. Hopefully you have some sort of similar store out there that can help you out.

i love Campmor, but i gotta say Harry's Army Navy out near Great Adventure is Great

CaliMagFan
08-16-2009, 09:57 AM
You could certainly find a more comfortable pack in a different brand. Kelty is not a bad brand, and some of their packs can be seen as higher end. Most of what they make is designed to be entry level though and if you consider investing in a gear set for backpacking often, you might try another brand. Comparable in size and most likely more comfy is the Gregory Palisade- or possibly something from Osprey's Argon series.

I work for an outdoor retailer here in Ca and spend a lot of my time in the back country each year in all seasons. If you have any questions, let me know.

Oh yeah- save weight, leave your gun at home. You shouldn't need it.

Lohman446
08-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Oh yeah- save weight, leave your gun at home. You shouldn't need it.

:) Thats not overly likely. If I get into save weight mode I might carry a Super Blackhawk in 357 but I seldom leave home without one.

CaliMagFan
08-17-2009, 04:00 AM
:) Thats not overly likely. If I get into save weight mode I might carry a Super Blackhawk in 357 but I seldom leave home without one.

It's Michigan, what are you going to find in the woods? A black bear? lol. I just don't see what is out there that you'd want to shoot.

PS: Make sure your food is secure,

teufelhunden
08-17-2009, 08:18 AM
It's Michigan, what are you going to find in the woods? A black bear? lol. I just don't see what is out there that you'd want to shoot.

Michael Moore may get lost and wander out

Lohman446
08-17-2009, 09:23 AM

PS: Make sure your food is secure,

I am as concerned about two legged idiots as predators. I just would feel a bit underarmed with a 9MM or 40 in the woods. Thats why I did not buy the Blackhawk I had in my hand yesterday in 44 :), or the Alaskan in 454.

:) Its a me thing - I just like to be prepared for the worst case scenario. Horror movie plots confuse me.

I did get an Ursack and intend to hang food out of camp. I grant the chance of a bear attack is pretty slim - and chances are even if there is a bear involved its going to be pretty small for a bear.