PDA

View Full Version : can you ULE a micro emag body?

dark blade
08-14-2009, 11:32 AM
i thought i saw one for sale that had some ULE work done to it.

My question is how much can you actually take off and have it work properly (from the underside that is)

and how much weight would it actually save. My understanding is that micro emag bodies weigh in at 14 ounces alone... theres a lot of material there.

DeuceSV
08-14-2009, 12:20 PM
You and your strategery!

:ninja:

luke
08-14-2009, 12:32 PM
i thought i saw one for sale that had some ULE work done to it.

I've uled a few MM in the past, same as milling a rail from the bottom..

dark blade
08-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Hmmm. interesting. I figured it owuld be possible.. How much can actually be removed from this method. To be more specific, how much material around the sear slot can be removed, if you cant remove too much from there then there wont be that much weight savings i would figure

Madmarx
08-14-2009, 07:56 PM
I'd say mill off the sight rail then mill out the bottom...
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l74/MadMarx1/micro003-1.jpg

BiNumber3
08-14-2009, 09:36 PM
unless you don't wanna reanno, in that case leave the rail on, i will say that micro's look a lot better without it imo

also, you might be able to get more worthwhile ule'ing if you have the gripframe n battery pack ule'ed

dark blade
08-14-2009, 09:39 PM
oh, i dont have PTP lowers. I have xmag lowers and a nearchos Li-Ion Battery... And i dont have a micro emag body, but i am waiting for my micro emag 2k9 body to arrive (when they actually go into production)

I put this thread up because the new micromags are the same as the old in the sense that all the ULE would have to be done from the bottom.

I DO eventually plan on getting it re-anno'd which is the main reason i am looking at taking the rail off the top (that and because i will not use it), and i am looking at giving the body a special milling design similar to that of the sfl... My dream mag

BiNumber3
08-14-2009, 09:47 PM
ah i see, yea don't particularly like the rail on the 09 either, but who knows, maybe it'll look better in aluminum (i.e. once we get actual pics:P)

but lookin at it, not sure if it'll be worth ule'ing as far as weight savings to cost ratios, unless it's not that much more to ule it and mill off the rail at the same time

dark blade
08-16-2009, 09:16 AM
i have a special friend who has offered to do the work free for me :) so any ULE'ing is better than none for the price.