PDA

View Full Version : Running a remote

Shirow
08-15-2009, 07:41 PM
So, I was out playing woodsball today for about 6 hours and by the last couple, the weight of my setup was starting to get to me a bit. I was also crawling around in the dirt a lot and cursing my gear getting in the way.

I saw a lot of guys there running remotes and I've never really thought about it before but I've been thinking about it a lot since I got home. I see a lot of benefits for me - I'd lose a lot of weight, I wouldn't have the tank in the way when I'm crawling through bushes and the gun would be more quickly maneuverable.

However, the reason I'm posting this is that I'm probably missing some disadvantages. My real question is - is there anyone here who has been in my situation and moved to a remote? Did you end up switching back or not? Why?

Thanks for your input.

Watcher
08-15-2009, 07:48 PM
There are two things you need to consider before running remote:

1) Will your pack hold a bottle? If so, will it hold your preferred size?

2) Do you need shoulder support? If you like having the tank to shoulder the gun with, better look into gas-thru t-stocks or milsim style buttstocks so you can still steady your marker properly.

After that it is all pretty much user opinion of advantages to disadvatages.

For example, it makes your setup lighter, but it also makes it so you can't leave your gun down (unless you have a slide check on the remote to stop the airflow and you disconnect).
The bottle on your back keeps it out of the way, but it is near impossible to get to in order to fill without a friend or taking off your pack.

Other advantages are that if you run CO2, it acts as an Anti-Siphon as the bottle is vertical.
If you have more than one marker that runs remote you can switch the air-source out in seconds (example: rocket launcher and main marker).

Some disadvantages are that if you run an already anti-siphon CO2 tank, it makes it a siphon CO2 tank.
The coil may get in the way sometimes, more often when switching hands.
It is just more fittings to potentially leak.

Remote is something I sometimes do, but it largely depends on the situation and what gun I'm using... But I am always direct-air on my Automag. My pumps depend on if I'm running 12grams or backbottle or stock, and my Tippmann is always remote.

Shirow
08-15-2009, 07:55 PM
This would be on my warp mag with a 68/xxxx tank. I was thinking of using a fill whip to make filling easier.

I typically use the bottle as a 'stock' but I tried running around my yard with my gun and no tank today and I thought it felt OK.

I mean, I've played with a gun mounted tank for, hell, I don't know.. 7 years or so and I've never really thought twice about a remote. But, after today I just felt like I probably could've performed better with less weight and that seemed like the easiest way to remove some weight.

snoopay700
08-15-2009, 07:59 PM
This would be on my warp mag with a 68/xxxx tank. I was thinking of using a fill whip to make filling easier.

I typically use the bottle as a 'stock' but I tried running around my yard with my gun and no tank today and I thought it felt OK.

I mean, I've played with a gun mounted tank for, hell, I don't know.. 7 years or so and I've never really thought twice about a remote. But, after today I just felt like I probably could've performed better with less weight and that seemed like the easiest way to remove some weight.
Trust me, you'll want a stock at least, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to shoot, that's why i'm getting a stock for my phantom.

Shirow
08-15-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm not sure I could stand to look at my mag with a stock on it :)

Ando
08-15-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm not sure I could stand to look at my mag with a stock on it :)

ROFL...I hear ya.

Shirow
08-15-2009, 08:13 PM
I guess I'm reluctant to 'just try it' because my current tank is a flatline and all the remotes I've seen are screw on ASA style in case anyone is wondering :p

I've actually been considering selling my flatline anyway, I run the damn thing at 850psi so it's pretty much a waste but I digress.

snoopay700
08-15-2009, 08:21 PM
I meant like a gas through t-stock that you screw into your asa.

Shirow
08-15-2009, 08:39 PM
I know, I just don't like the look of them on a mag.

snoopay700
08-15-2009, 08:42 PM
I know, I just don't like the look of them on a mag.
Fair enough, i just assumed you thought i meant a realistic stock. Either way it would make shooting loads easier if you do switch to remote, i still don't know how larry (the guy with the skull mask and boonie hat) runs his mags without anything to shoulder it.

Shirow
08-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Yeah, he is someone that got me thinking about it. I actually don't think it feels too bad, but I haven't really played with a remote, just messed around swinging my gun around with the tank on it. Hard to tell like that really. I suppose I could try a t-stock, just see how it feels.. I dunno. It's just a lot I would have to do to try it out. I guess I was hoping someone would say 'yes, it's awesome, do it' but I think it's just going to come down to whether I want to put in the effort to change up my setup and try it.

snoopay700
08-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah, he is someone that got me thinking about it. I actually don't think it feels too bad, but I haven't really played with a remote, just messed around swinging my gun around with the tank on it. Hard to tell like that really.
Well you could get a remote line and use the quick disconnect you have on your mag to hook it up and try it out, that's the best way to really tell. I've never been much of one for remotes just because i like to have something to rest on my shoulder. Also i think yo may be able to hook up the remote to your flatline, i don't see why you couldn't.

Shirow
08-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Well you could get a remote line and use the quick disconnect you have on your mag to hook it up and try it out, that's the best way to really tell. I've never been much of one for remotes just because i like to have something to rest on my shoulder. Also i think yo may be able to hook up the remote to your flatline, i don't see why you couldn't.

I haven't seen a remote that isn't a screw in style on the tank end but I honestly haven't looked very hard.

snoopay700
08-15-2009, 08:50 PM
I haven't seen a remote that isn't a screw in style on the tank end but I honestly haven't looked very hard.
Well even those have a part that screws into the asa that screws on to the tank, so you should be able to unscrew it from the asa and screw it directly into your flatline.

Shirow
08-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Well even those have a part that screws into the asa that screws on to the tank, so you should be able to unscrew it from the asa and screw it directly into your flatline.

My flatline only has a 90* macro elbow coming out of it, there is no screw in on it

snoopay700
08-15-2009, 08:54 PM
My flatline only has a 90* macro elbow coming out of it, there is no screw in on it
Yeah, you unscrew the macro then screw the line from the remote line straight into that, since a remote line is just a long coiled line, like a braided line sort of (they may even be braided, i haven't had much experience).

Shirow
08-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Oh, I see what you're saying. Yeah, maybe it would work I guess, I haven't seen any that are small enough to fit into the same hole.. but maybe there is one out there. I only looked at actionvillage real quick to just see how much they were.

It's just more about spending any money for something I may throw in the closet after 1 game =p

snoopay700
08-15-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm with you there, they're pretty expensive, i'd look at the b/s/t and see if you can find them used.

http://www.buy.com/prod/tippmann-remote-line/q/loc/17250/202088307.html

There you can see what i mean, it should be a standard sized hose meaning it should be the same size and same threading as the macro fitting, you just unscrew the hose from the part that goes on a normal tank.

Shirow
08-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean. Well, I'm trying to talk my friend that came with me today into buying a tac-one so I'll just make him get a remote and let me try his, I think :p

Redic
08-15-2009, 09:25 PM
i belive there is a better why to install a remote on to you flatline then screwing it directly into the reg

what i think you should do is buy yourself a quick disconnect set
screw the female end on to the remote where the tank adapter was then screw the male end into the output of the reg

now you can remove the remote line with out having to unscrew it

plus if you buy a second male end you can screw it into the tank adapter you removed
so you can use the remote on a screw on tank also

that is the way mine is set up

Shirow
08-15-2009, 09:34 PM
i belive there is a better why to install a remote on to you flatline then screwing it directly into the reg

screw the female end on to the remote where the tank adapter was then screw the male end into the output of the reg

plus if you buy a second male end you can screw it into the tank adapter you removed

That makes sense.. thanks.

om3n
08-15-2009, 10:14 PM
I always use a remote and I have never turned back. I do use a gas thru stock because I love shoulder support, but man having the tank off the gun is just so excellent that I will never go back to playing with the tank on my gun as long as I'm playing woods ball.

Here is my setup...

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs196.snc1/6615_1181387128246_1035217252_564323_4906665_n.jpg

XM15
08-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Back in th early to mid 90's remotes were the thing to do. The advantages were lighter gun msot of them weighed a ton back then with out a tank VM68 anyone? It kept liquid CO2 out of your gun, eliminated running a tank vertically to keep liquid out and it was nice for crawling and shooting from a prone position. The disadvantages depeneds on what kind of remote line you ran. Stainless braided lines were indestructable but not very flexable. They tented to loop out from your body and get caught on brush. The flexable plastic coil or slinky remotes stayed tighter to your body and were lighter. If they got hung up however they stretched and became a tangled 20ft or more mess. The other problem was you were tethered to the gun. I think every body who has ran a remote has set thier gun down and forgot about being attached to the gun. I was more than happy to dump the remote when lighter smaller tanks came out especially the 4500psi tanks in the late 90's. Like alot of things its personal preference. The best way to find out is to try it. Thats the only way to see if you think the advantages out weigh the disadvantages.

snoopay700
08-15-2009, 10:42 PM

That was more an idea for trying it out to cut costs, that way he could use the tank he's got and not have to worry, although your way is definitely better than mine, i would only recommend spending the money if he were to use that setup more than once.

Watcher
08-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Shirow, you're in Milwaukee?

If you can make it down to Traing Day at Fox Paintball in Millington, Illinois, then I can lend you a spare remote I have, hook you up, and let you try it out for the day.

It'd be cheaper and better than buying one to try out, you'll get to meet some other Automaggots, and we can ogle each others' gear.

Win win :cheers:

Shirow
08-16-2009, 06:32 AM
I always use a remote and I have never turned back. I do use a gas thru stock because I love shoulder support, but man having the tank off the gun is just so excellent that I will never go back to playing with the tank on my gun as long as I'm playing woods ball.

Here is my setup...

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs196.snc1/6615_1181387128246_1035217252_564323_4906665_n.jpg

Which stock is that?

Shirow
08-16-2009, 06:33 AM
Shirow, you're in Milwaukee?

If you can make it down to Traing Day at Fox Paintball in Millington, Illinois, then I can lend you a spare remote I have, hook you up, and let you try it out for the day.

It'd be cheaper and better than buying one to try out, you'll get to meet some other Automaggots, and we can ogle each others' gear.

Win win :cheers:

Thanks for the offer, I'll have to see if I can take a trip down there one day!

Redic
08-16-2009, 07:10 AM
that stock is a SPECIAL OPS - T2W AIR-THRU STOCK the msrp is $86.95 but if you want one check ebay they may be cheaper

Shirow
08-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Cool, that one doesn't look too bad.. $85 is a bit of a kick in the nuts though.

OPBN
08-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Shirow, I actually have a remote for sale that has a slide check with female quick disconnect on one end and just a threaded fitting on the other end that you can add a female quick disconnect to. I may have the additional fittings you need to make it work depending on how you are currently connecting to your valve. PM me if interested.

Warwitch
08-16-2009, 02:57 PM
99% of people that go remote eventually go back to tank-on-gun. Im one of them. My .02.

snoopay700
08-16-2009, 05:19 PM
99% of people that go remote eventually go back to tank-on-gun. Im one of them. My .02.
Same thing with drop forwards, i'm one of those.

Shirow
08-16-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure those statistics can be backed up with scientific proof ;) I've never run my mag without a drop.

snoopay700
08-16-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm not sure those statistics can be backed up with scientific proof ;) I've never run my mag without a drop.
You're in that one percent then ;)

Granted it's not that high, but most people i've talked to that have run a drop stopped because if you do use the tank as a stock more often than not it makes for bad shooting form.

vf-xx
08-16-2009, 05:38 PM
I've frrun a remote on my Armageddon for years. Personally I think running an adjustable tank on remote makes a whole lot of sense, I run mine higher to help with faster recharge (right wrong or otherwise, that's my thought process).

Personally, I run my tank high on my back and run the remote over my shoulder. I use a proconnect to connect my remote line to my gun. Alot more streamlined than a slide check combo.

Only major downside I"ve had with my rig is snagging the remote on branches in heavy woods. Not a real problem per say, but annoying anyway.

Shirow
08-16-2009, 05:49 PM
You're in that one percent then ;)

Granted it's not that high, but most people i've talked to that have run a drop stopped because if you do use the tank as a stock more often than not it makes for bad shooting form.

Maybe so. I only use a fairly short one (couple of inches forward probably) but I found the tank stuck out too far back for my taste without it.

snoopay700
08-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Yeah for a huge tank i can understand, but but with my 48/3000 i had a 7 inch drop at one point....and thought there was nothing wrong with it. I could hit stuff fine, but i ended up going back to good old bottom line.

Shirow
08-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Yeah, that would definitely be overkill for me. I run a 68, have a short system-x drop, I think it's 2" forward, 1 1/2" down or something. I found it a lot more comfortable than having it all the way back.

I agree with you on the long drops though, whenever I see people with 5"+ drops, I always think that it must be really uncomfortable to use.

snoopay700
08-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Yeah, that would definitely be overkill for me. I run a 68, have a short system-x drop, I think it's 2" forward, 1 1/2" down or something. I found it a lot more comfortable than having it all the way back.

I agree with you on the long drops though, whenever I see people with 5"+ drops, I always think that it must be really uncomfortable to use.
Yeah, and i've met people who have used them and later switched back because it was so umcomfortable. Hopefully you end up liking remote if you buy one.

Shirow
08-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah, and i've met people who have used them and later switched back because it was so umcomfortable. Hopefully you end up liking remote if you buy one.

Think I'm kinda tending away from it right now to be honest... I'm gonna play a few more games with my current setup before I commit to spending any more money.

WickedKlown2
08-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Here is my current set-up with a PMI gas thru T-stock... The stock only cost me $35 and is adjustable... I also run a Ninja Coiled Remote with slide check and MultiCam remote cover to keep it from getting tangled up and a Ninja In Flight Refuel Whip for when I need to hit the air table...

G-Force Pneumatic Framed "Mini" Tac One
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff63/wickedklown2/WK2-MINITac.jpg

Links:

Gas Thru T Stock (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.actioncenterpaintball.com/paintball/pc/catalog/stock002_754_general.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.actioncenterpaintball.com/paintball/pc/viewPrd.asp%3Fidcategory%3D2%26idproduct%3D294&usg=__E0jg__LpjY55K4zTYr-20xI9wiE=&h=150&w=200&sz=4&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=Gf80G6v_tN4zxM:&tbnh=78&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3DPMI%2Bgas%2Bthru%2BT%2Bstock%26hl%3De n%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1)
Ninja Coiled Remote w/slide check (http://www.ninjapaintball.com/productDetail.asp_Q_catID_E_92_A_subCatID_E_79_A_p roductID_E_78)
Ninja In Flight Refuel Whip (http://www.ninjapaintball.com/product.asp_Q_catID_E_96_A_subCatID_E_86)

Hope that helps out...

WK2

Warwitch
08-16-2009, 06:52 PM
I should note that I like to run light. Mask, marker, two pods on a belt and thats it. So I really like the freedom of not being tethered. And its just another piece of gear. I love these guys that get "overgeared" when they hit the field. :rofl:

A remote makes more sense for a guy that carries a lot of paint and a tank larger than 68ci. Or if youre going to do some CQB and you want a shorter rig.

Edit: WK, I dont think Ive seen that all put together yet. Very nice. :headbang:

WickedKlown2
08-16-2009, 06:55 PM
I should note that I like to run light. Mask, marker, two pods on a belt and thats it. So I really like the freedom of not being tethered. And its just another piece of gear. I love these guys that get "overgeared" when they hit the field. :rofl:

A remote makes more sense for a guy that carries a lot of paint and a tank larger than 68ci. Or if youre going to do some CQB and you want a shorter rig.

Edit: WK, I dont think Ive seen that all put together yet. Very nice. :headbang:

Thank You Warwitch,,, I will remember that at AOSouth '09 when we see each other... and it is a paint slinging machine !!! :D

Take It Easy Brother

WK2

Shirow
08-16-2009, 06:56 PM
That does look nice, nice camo!

And yeah, I hear you, I am starting to get more into the 'running light' category, especially since I'm pretty much 100% woodsball now.

WickedKlown2
08-16-2009, 07:20 PM
That does look nice, nice camo!

And yeah, I hear you, I am starting to get more into the 'running light' category, especially since I'm pretty much 100% woodsball now.

Thank You Brother !!! :D

If you ever come out to Chi-Town and play at CPX look up the Hellions... Great Woodsball Team,,, and some of the guys run Automags from time to time...

WK2

Shirow
08-16-2009, 08:01 PM
People keep telling me I should come play in Chicago it's just such a long haul down there and now 'Sam's' is back open we have such a great field closer by.. you should come up one day, it's halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee :p

WickedKlown2
08-16-2009, 08:35 PM
People keep telling me I should come play in Chicago it's just such a long haul down there and now 'Sam's' is back open we have such a great field closer by.. you should come up one day, it's halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee :p

Believe me I know Chi-Town is a long haul... 7.5 hour drive North for me to link up with the Team I play on (Hellions)... I will try and make it out to Sam's and give it a go one of these days... Also two of my Team members are from Sheboygan, WI (Husband and Wife) and they are killer...

Take it Easy Brother :)

WK2

snoopay700
08-16-2009, 09:25 PM

I'm the same way, only on occasion i'll carry 3 pods, or 20 10 rounders if i'm playing SC

Warwitch
08-17-2009, 06:21 AM
I'm the same way, only on occasion i'll carry 3 pods, or 20 10 rounders if i'm playing SC

I figure if Im not gone by the time I shoot out my hopper and 2 pods then Im not playing aggressive enough. :argh:

snoopay700
08-17-2009, 11:18 AM
I figure if Im not gone by the time I shoot out my hopper and 2 pods then Im not playing aggressive enough. :argh:
Haha, i can understand that, but it depends on the field i'm on, on woodsball fields i tend to get behind people because i can, speedball i'm just aggressive and run as far up as i can on the break, though i learned to not go for the snake if you did that last time you played with regulars at the field because i did that with a pump and got hit from everywhere because my two friends with minis were further back, this time the guy was ready for me. Guess i'm getting too old, because i'm becoming a little too predictable haha.

TwilightG
08-17-2009, 11:44 AM

+1

I used a coiled remote briefly a long time ago but just always found keeping the tank on the marker more comfortable. (and I don't shoulder the tank either) It just felt more 'free'

Shirow
08-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Well, I'm actually contemplating pulling off my warp now.. I had to take it off when I got home to clean my gun and I realized:

1) It's really annoying to clean behind
2) It actually adds a fair bit of weight to the gun

Waving my mag around with just the tank on it felt pretty good.. I've run a warp forever but I'm kinda contemplating going back to vert feed now