PDA

View Full Version : Out of air

I <3 MAGS
02-02-2002, 02:58 PM
I just bought my flatline and im not sure how many shots i should get out of it. Heres my problem, I just got my 68ci 3k flatline filled last night to do some test fireing before i go out to play this comeing week. I put about 1/8 of a case through it and now im out of air.
I also did dry fire it a bit but my guess is with dry fireing and shooting balls i got about 500 shots out of it if i was lucky. How many shots should i be getting out of a full tank? Does this sound normal? I am new to useing nitro and i could get WAY more shots out of a 20oz tank than this.

X-Plosive
02-02-2002, 03:03 PM
you should be getting around 600-700 hundred shots depending on what barel you are using. With a LAPCO BS I get about 800 shots per 2,800 fill. Liquid c02expands 30 times by volume when it comes out of the tank. Nitrogen's natural state is gas. I wouldn't worry about it. Although 500 is a bit low. Is there any noticeable leak? Did you fill the tank last night and leave the on/off on and then test it this morning?

I <3 MAGS
02-02-2002, 03:10 PM
I got if filled and turned it on for the first time today took my shots then before i knew it no more air = ( and as far as a leak goes the tank pressure was the same this morning as it was lastnight after i got it filled. I dunno im gonna get it filled again and see what happens. Oh yea, im use a dye aluminum 12" for a barrel.

X-Plosive
02-02-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by I <3 MAGS
Oh yea, im use a dye aluminum 12" for a barrel.

Ahah, there's the culprit! 500 is still low, this time count how many shots you get. It should be atleast 600.

I <3 MAGS
02-02-2002, 03:35 PM
I'll get my tank filled tonight and see what happens. I am also in the market for a new barrel as well, since you say my current barrel is the culprit what barrel would you recomend? ive been out of the game for a while so im not on the up and up with whats the best.

I <3 MAGS
02-02-2002, 04:28 PM
Forgot to mention I have the tank set to 700 psi, could this be part of the problem as well?

X-Plosive
02-02-2002, 04:45 PM
700 psi is perfect, I really like LAPCO barrels. The CP Pro barrle kits are nice but I got rid of mine to make room for some other paintball equipment. $375 is just too much invested in barrels. You should either get a LAPCO Autospirit or BigShot. You can get them both in stainless if you get into a lot of fights at your field. The autospirit ha sa slightly smaller bore. LAPCO also make different bore sizes for different guns. For instance the mag autospirit is .687 and the BigShot for mags is .688. For spyder's the bigshot is around .690 and hte autospirit is about .688.

Smoken
02-02-2002, 09:08 PM
I think you may have lost count of your "air only" shots. I know I often do. I have a DYE Aluminum 12in. on my Mini and get about 560(four 140 rnd tubes) shots from my 47ci Flatline when I have a full fill, so I don't think the barrel is the problem (though it IS a contributing factor).

I <3 MAGS
02-02-2002, 09:09 PM
Thanks alot for all the help X-Plosive

I <3 MAGS
02-02-2002, 09:40 PM
Well.... since i have this post up i have to ask, how does the dye barrel i use have a impact on how many shots per tank full i get as to any other barrel?

razamatraz
02-03-2002, 05:37 AM
Dye Aluminum barrels, or any other barrel with tons of porting are inefficient, because in order to get the same velocity you have to use more air since a ot is lost to the ports. TearDrops, although very accurate, are also known for this.

If your velocity is really high, this could also account for your problem. I get about 900 on a 68 4500 fro about 4000 so I'd get about 650 from 3000

RJ

I <3 MAGS
02-03-2002, 07:26 AM
Thanks alot for clearing that up for me razamatraz.

res0qjp2
02-22-2002, 02:30 AM
barrels have nothing to do with the air, It only take the first blast to shoot the ball, The rest of the air is going to distort the ball.

Hexis
02-22-2002, 10:08 AM
I think you need some more sleep res0qjp2. The barrel matters when it comes to gas usage. Different barrel configurations will give better or worse efficiency. Think about it, if all barrels were the same you could swap barrels without changing your velocity. Wouldn’t that be nice.

Army
02-22-2002, 11:15 AM
Since you are coming off Co2, my guess is that your velocity is too high, thus using more air. Just a thought.

Predater
02-22-2002, 01:38 PM
barrel/paint match could affect it to

LaW
02-22-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by res0qjp2
barrels have nothing to do with the air, It only take the first blast to shoot the ball, The rest of the air is going to distort the ball.

Completely not true.... if you have a barrel with no porting all the air that is pushing the ball will keep pushing or still be behind it until it exits the barrel. If you have lots of porting air escapes and thus it will require more air to get the same speed out of that barrel then it did with the one with no porting :)

LaW
02-22-2002, 11:40 PM
I'm sorry you are wrong :)

AGD - "The effective length of the barrel is from the balls position before it's fired, to the place in the barrel where the pressure gets released, This is usually at the first porting holes or the step in the barrel. Porting is there to release gas pressure!! You are effectively stopping the acceleration at the ports so your 14" barrel that is half full of holes only has an effective length of 7".

So the more the porting, the more gas pressure is released... so the more air you'll need to use to keep enough pressure .... you get what i'm saying?