PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Spyders

snoopay700
08-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Hey, just wondering what everyone thinks on the newer spyders. I have heard great things, and my own experiences with spyders has been good. I just don't know if the quality is good, like are the frames metal, and are the triggers metal? I know one of the members on here actually played a tournament with one (i can't remember who it was, medic maybe?) and said they were great entry guns. Just wondering because i got into a debate with someone about them and i don't know what they're like recently regarding materials on the pilot and electra because i just haven't seen anyone with one of them at the field.

Toll
08-28-2009, 07:58 PM
I think they're metal bodied but have plastic triggers. Could be wrong

hobbesTZ
08-28-2009, 08:03 PM
We had a Spyder Electra we sold recently that broke. Shards of brass were found in the reg seat. Otherwise they atleast seem better quality than the current crop of Piranha garbage.

snoopay700
08-28-2009, 08:07 PM
We had a Spyder Electra we sold recently that broke. Shards of brass were found in the reg seat. Otherwise they atleast seem better quality than the current crop of Piranha garbage.
Was the trigger metal? That's one of he main things i'm wondering. I know they're vastly superior to piranhas that are on the market.

punkncat
08-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Kind of a "get what you pay for" deal. We got a bunch of the little cheapo black ones, I cannot think of the name of them off hand, but just as plain as they come with the composite trigger as rentals.
The frames seems to have a thing about cracking. Otherwise, the only real issue we had was just with pieces falling off the thing and getting lost, like any rental. They stand up well enough, especially if you can find an aftermarket or stock metal trigger frame. Parts are easy to source, and there really is nothing much to go wrong.

wetwrks
08-28-2009, 08:17 PM
I know 2 people who have owned them. The first had absolutely no trouble with his and used it for a number of years. The second was a newer model and he had minor issues. As I remember it was something about a screw being too long. It either allowed the gun to run hot or maby not hot enough. Don't remember which.

Toll
08-28-2009, 08:20 PM
The new ones (08 electra, etc) actually look pretty solid all things considered. Get rid of the goofy proprietary asa holes/ vertical asa threads and throw a clamping neck on it and it might be pretty fun to play with and a pretty good looking marker.

snoopay700
08-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Kind of a "get what you pay for" deal. We got a bunch of the little cheapo black ones, I cannot think of the name of them off hand, but just as plain as they come with the composite trigger as rentals.
The frames seems to have a thing about cracking. Otherwise, the only real issue we had was just with pieces falling off the thing and getting lost, like any rental. They stand up well enough, especially if you can find an aftermarket or stock metal trigger frame. Parts are easy to source, and there really is nothing much to go wrong.
I'm not sure what those are, could be piranhas, those things are horrid, but if that's not it then i don't know what you mean. I was thinking more of the electronic ones though.

athomas
08-28-2009, 09:11 PM
I have an older Spyder Fenix. It was well built and has a metal trigger to go with all the other parts that are metal. I'm not sure about the newer Spyders though. The biggest caveat of the spyder is the sear assembly that will wear out. But they are cheap and easy to fix.

MANN
08-28-2009, 09:50 PM
The old spyder compacts were nice, and had metal triggers. They were solid back in the day.

Newt
08-28-2009, 10:39 PM
I've never seen a spyder frame that wasn't metal, including newer ones. I'm pretty sure the trigger is aluminum too, but that's a solid 80%. They're pretty sloppy though.

Mechanic79
08-28-2009, 10:44 PM
I have arachnophobia....!

snoopay700
08-29-2009, 12:15 AM
I've never seen a spyder frame that wasn't metal, including newer ones. I'm pretty sure the trigger is aluminum too, but that's a solid 80%. They're pretty sloppy though.
Ok, just making sure, i was saying that spyders had metal triggers but then i thought about it and realized i hadn't seen any of the newer ones so i really didn't know if i was telling the truth or not.

Xceolite
08-30-2009, 06:57 PM
First marker I bought was a syder extra. Could never bring myself to sell it as i've never had a problem with it. It hasn't been cleaned or oiled in three years as a loaner. My automag loaner hasn't caused any problems either, but it has required oil.
It is mech so I can't vouch for there electros.

Newt
08-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Just checked a Pilot ACS and an MR2 today. Both had electronic frames. The frames and triggers were both metal, though the trigger system is extremely sloppy.

snoopay700
08-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Just checked a Pilot ACS and an MR2 today. Both had electronic frames. The frames and triggers were both metal, though the trigger system is extremely sloppy.
Thanks, i've heard mixed things about the trigger, just wondering if it was metal.