PDA

View Full Version : ATV camping?

bornl33t
09-08-2009, 12:13 AM
I had an idea the other day....my wife loves to camp and I hate it... mainly because to me camping doesn't involve a boat and an RV. If I camp I want to be miles away from civilization that includes other campers. I want to sleep in a tent, build camp fires explore the surroundings. I was wondering if we could pack what we needed onto a ATV or two drive them off the trailer and be back in a week. DO people do this? What about the legality riding ATV off a trail?

Ando
09-08-2009, 08:26 AM
If it's a park, talk to the people that run it. They'll have all the info you need. No mater where you go, they're going to tell you to get bent if you start asking about camp fires. Unless it's in a designated fire pit that they've setup themselves. They won't let you do it and will fine you up the wazoo if they catch ya, especially during the dry season. State parks are very strict now a days even with going off trails. It's highly frowned upon due to you getting hurt and them trying to find you.

If your on private property and know the people then :rolleyes:

I spent a good 5 summers volunteering at a state park but that was many, many moons ago. I'm sure the rules have gotten a lot more stringent.

Lohman446
09-08-2009, 08:50 AM
The fire rules do vary. I know in the national park around here you can have a fire any place you can camp (at least 200 feet from any body of water or trail or an approved camp site). Some people get around the fire rules with a fire pan or some such thing out west. That being said the national forest restricts ATVs so it would be a catch 22

A lot of the backpacking trails (and especially off trail) are on massive tracts of land where you are likely not to see anyone if you hike in more than a few miles.

punkncat
09-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Here in GA it is illegal to run an ATV or off road vehicle of any sort on undesignated state or federal land. Many counties around this area will jail you as well as impounding your motorbike for riding off the roads where you are "not supposed" to.

There are quite a few nice privately run areas around that you can go ride. I know one of them a few miles south of here would take days to ride in it's entirety, but I don't think they allow camping there.

I would suggest checking with your local state park dept and see if they have any areas set aside for such activity.

bornl33t
09-09-2009, 12:04 AM
So eithre no fire, no camping or no atv.... I guess fishing and target shooting would be out of the question then? :tard:

Lohman446
09-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Actually in MI the only thing out would be no ATV. Target shooting is specifically allowed in the national forest with some exceptions on date provided you are shooting at a clear target. Carrying a rifle / shotgun is no problem as long as you posess a valid hunting license because coyote (and thus boar which can be taken any time when hunting) are always in season. Fires are expressly allowed, and fishing is subject to state regulations and allowed. Your state may have similiar rules, your best off to check with state and national forest campgrounds in the area (keep in mind rules on national forest land may be different than state).

bornl33t
09-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Well I know in Iowa it's not going to fly. ATV's are not allowed on public/state property unless otherwise specified. You can guess how many acres are set aside for atv park and thus how many use them. Target shooting is expressly forbidden on public property unless otherwise noted. Public hunting areas have no target shooting posted.