PDA

View Full Version : Automag Body Measurements?

zeoalex
09-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Hey everyone, I'm just starting an engineering course (Solidworks) and I'd love to start working on an automag body for myself/a project that my professor said he's considering giving towards the end of the year. Since I don't have a body with me (cause i'm not allowed to by school rules) if someone could just get the basic measurements, (no valve please), length, diameter of holes, autococker barrel threads, the underside of the body (a sketch/picture with measurements on it if possible would be best). I'd really appreciate it guys!
thanks!

Spider-TW
09-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Look near the bottom here (http://haveblue.org/tech/automag/index.html)

zeoalex
09-09-2009, 09:21 PM
that is Almost exactly what I need. the only thing left for me to get is the distance from the front of the body to the feedtube hole, who's got that?

BigEvil
09-09-2009, 09:34 PM
that is Almost exactly what I need. the only thing left for me to get is the distance from the front of the body to the feedtube hole, who's got that?

Thats why God made calipers ;) :D

zeoalex
09-10-2009, 01:17 AM
but I don't have access to a body at the moment, nor calipers, but I could probably find those fairly easy

Ando
09-10-2009, 05:47 AM
When I get home from work i'll get what ever mesurments you need. Make a wish list of what you want.

This is for a standard SS body right?

cougar20th
09-10-2009, 06:22 AM
Open the autocad file in solidworks on the 2d side of the program. Make sure you dont scale it when importing. You can then measure the file & get most of the dimensions your looking for.

To get the thread size of a cocker barrel check here http://haveblue.org/tech/

Another way to find the location of the feednech hole is to take the length of the body & subtract the location from the back edge of the body. This will give you the front to hole dim.

Trust me everything you would need to machine a body is on that autocad file. Except barrel threads & detent threads.

XM15
09-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Don't work from the barrel end back. The valve is the most critical part of the mag every thing should be measured off it. The distance from the valve end of the AM/MM rail to the center of the feed is 5.800" +or -.005". The distance for the ball detents off the same datum point is 6.040" + or - .005" and if you want to use autococker detents they are 3/8"-24. Since this is for a engineering class I would use a Ion thread 13/16"-32 instead of a Angel metric thread. The tap for a Angel thread costs about 4 times as much as a Ion tap if you can find it. Autococker threads are 15/16"-20, the thread length is .650" and the length from breach end to the shoulder tolerance is 1.240"-1.245".