09-11-2009, 12:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIRS0HqL-VY

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/MoeRoark/IMG_0420.jpg
:D
420 stainless

Frizzle Fry
09-11-2009, 01:00 AM
Cherry bomb + Tennis ball?

Nice mortar! I used to go out on a lake up in New Hampshire when I was a kid, and we'd bring an old mortar shell and some cherry bombs. Point it at a house, toss a bomb it, and get ready to rock the windows! :p

vf-xx
09-11-2009, 10:10 AM
This reminds me of Hudson Hawk:

"Buffy!! Ball-ball!"

MoeMag
09-24-2009, 11:52 PM

my first video too!

snoopay700
09-24-2009, 11:55 PM

my first video too!
Yar, i be clickin thar link too soon

Edit:

I have to say that was awesome, i wish i had one... :(

behemoth
09-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Was the can full, empty?

Does the aluminum withstand the blast directly, or do you use some sort of wadding?

What kinda distance have you gotten from tennisballs/cans?

MoeMag
09-25-2009, 12:43 AM
Was the can full, empty?

Does the aluminum withstand the blast directly, or do you use some sort of wadding?

What kinda distance have you gotten from tennisballs/cans?

The cans are filled with concrete. Making a very affordable/effective round. I tried filling the tennis balls with cement as well... however my method needs improvement. The tennis balls pretty much turn into very smelly rubber vapor and green fuzz. I have high hopes for them in the future because of their excellent fit and availability.

The cans are incredible. Rarely the Al can peels away like a sabot but most of the time they hold together well enough to be shot again. They are moving out to right at 350 yards with a 30 deg angle on the gun. (It swings between 30 and 60) I will be working on a load/distance/angle formula over the next few weeks.

I make a "driving band" around the base of the can with wide masking tape to make a very good seal. Additional aluminum foil between the can and powder charge acts as a wadding of sorts... but as far as I can tell is ineffective in regards to a bigger boom.

wetwrks
09-25-2009, 01:14 AM
This reminds me of a friend who took Estes Rockets and mounted a cherry bomb in them so when the rocket would blow the parachute it would light the cherry bomb. They would blow way up in the air and the sound would echo for miles. Needless to say, he would only do 1 every so often so they couldn't be tracked to him. :D

punkncat
09-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Is that actually legal to own?

I simply can't imagine a person being able to make their own mortar w/o a license of some sort....but there again, any old Joe with the cash can still buy a .50 BMG too.

MANN
09-25-2009, 10:30 AM

Why wouldn't it be. It is just a large caliber firearm.

Do you by chance have a cross sectional diagram. I am interested in seeing how the internals are designed.

skife
09-25-2009, 02:02 PM

I simply can't imagine a person being able to make their own mortar w/o a license of some sort....but there again, any old Joe with the cash can still buy a .50 BMG too.

why wouldn't it be legal?

Army
09-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Unless you have the titles, privately owned cannon must be muzzle loaded only. No breech loading.

Moe, excellent machining job on that tube. Well done carriage too. You can burn in a small clinometer on the side of the carriage. Many of the Civil War era siege mortars had just that.

The tube wall is plenty thick for any charge you want to drop in. The only restriction, is how far do you want the mortar to scoot :)

MoeMag
09-26-2009, 11:19 PM
(I just wrote a huge rant but decided against it). All in all the 50bmg is an old oversize round that no doubt gets the job done, and very well, but just because its on the edge of legal firearms (Any thing over a .500" bore that isn’t a muzzle loader is a destructive device) shouldnt make it taboo. A 416 barrett, 408cheytac, 338 lapua will all out do a 50 at some point. Tell me how many times a 50bmg has been used in crime, then tell me how many people are killed in cars doing something illegal... good luck getting me to care about a statistical outlier.

I <3 50BMG

And yes... as long as its muzzle loaded... you could make a 6inch parrott rifle that sends a 100 pound chunk of cast iron and lead 4 miles.

As for the prints for the mortar... sure, I have the final drawings at work. I will throw them up on monday. The chamber is just a 1-1/8 drill with the drillpoint about 2.500" below the face of the full bore section. I kind of wish the chamber was a bit larger... :rolleyes: .

My final shots for the day were the chamber plus about .250" of the full bore with 2FA black powder.

Army
09-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Bore that large should use canister grade, or at least 1FG, for better burn and consistency.

MoeMag
09-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Bore that large should use canister grade, or at least 1FG, for better burn and consistency.

Black Powder Grades & Equivalent Sizes (in mm)

Sporting Grades (G) Grain Size (in mm)

Cannon Grade 4.76-1.68
1FG 1.68-1.19
2FG 1.19-.59
3FG .84-.29
4FG .42-.15

5FG .149

Blasting Grades (A) Grain Size (in mm)

1FA 8.0-4.0
2FA 4.76-1.68
4FA 1.68-.84

5FA .84-.297