PDA

View Full Version : Very Important Favor/Help Requested!!!

DevilMan
09-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Hey there... I'm trying to find anyone in the Lolo, MT to Dillon, MT area.

If anyone here lives in the area or has any family or friends in the area please post up.

The situation is this. Like others here I'm a motorcyclist. I ride as much as possible. Well we have a missing rider. Here is the info that I have currently.

Donald Masters left Orofino, ID, Monday, August 31, headed for West Yellowstone and then on to Denver. He has not been seen or heard from since. We have reason to believe he may have gone missing Monday (he was due into Denver Wednesday). He was riding a black 2008 Goldwing, Colorado Plate #327-UTH.

If you are riding Lolo Pass, or anywhere between Missoula and W. Yellowstone, please be on the lookout for Donald and his bike. He's 62 years old, weighs about 175 and is about 5'9" tall. His bike would have been loaded with a fair amount of gear as he was on a 2+ week trip. If you have seen him or have information about him or his bike, please call the Clearwater County (ID) Sheriff's Department at (208) 476-4521.

It has confirmed that Donald bought gas at the Superpump in Lolo, Montana, during the afternoon of August 31. No charge card purchases after that. If he went down, it's likely he went down between Lolo and W. Yellowstone, with the most likely route being US-93 - MT 43 to Wisdom - MT 278 to Dillon - MT 41 to Twin Bridges - MT 287 to Ennis - then into W. Yellowstone.

Anyone riding these roads please be on the lookout for evidence of a wreck. Clearwater County was helpful initially, but as soon as it was learned he bought gas in Lolo, MT, they punted it to the Missoula County Sheriff.
The Missoula Sheriff can be reached at 406-258-4810. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

These are my other thoughts on the matter:

Sorry I have not mapped it out yet.... but what's the gas mileage of the Wing he was on? Figure the gas stop plus that mileage so should be within a 150-200 mile range right? I would ask where in Denver area he was headed as I'm in the area and could try to go to the area to see if I can find him, just in case he used cash on the next gas stops and actually made it all the way here.

Just checked... it's almost 900 miles from where I am right now. And though I'd like to make Yellowstone.... Is there anyone who has had any phone calls at all from him? Or does anyone know of any other contact? Sorry I'm not a member of Pashnit.

It's showing 165 miles between Orofino, ID and Lolo, MT. So you figure that the gas range would be the sub-200 mile range. Anyone with more info on actual mileage though, please let me know.

From Lolo to Dillon is 177 miles so that'd be most likely a gas stop. And from Lolo to Divide is 162 miles. Again should be a gas stop. I doubt he would have made it past either of those stops without gassing up. It's only showing 3-4 hours travel time between Lolo and the next stop though so depending on the time of the afternoon that the gas was gotten in Lolo you can figure it would be working on getting dark. Was he a hoteler? Or camper? Or have any friends in the area?

So anyway... if anyone is in the area or can get in touch with someone who is please let me know.

Thanx!!!

DM

snoopay700
09-11-2009, 01:05 PM
I hope he's ok and you find him.

DevilMan
09-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanx man.... there are quite a few folks out trying to beat the bushes, but that area is pretty desolate, so any help on or off of 2 wheels is a plus.

DM

snoopay700
09-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanx man.... there are quite a few folks out trying to beat the bushes, but that area is pretty desolate, so any help on or off of 2 wheels is a plus.

DM
If i lived in the area i'd keep an eye out, but since i don't all i can do is wish you guys luck finding him, and hope he's ok when you do.

DevilMan
09-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Alright guys.... The search is over. The rider has been found. :(

Thanx to any and all of you that may have put out feelers to help out.

It is with a heavy heart that I bring you the news.

Donald Masters has been found at a crash site on Rt 93 around mile marker 322.1 between North Fork, ID and Salmon, ID

Donald and his bike were spotted by Elk hunters that were out tracking a buck. There was about 150' of shoulder and then a steep drop off into a drainage irrigation ditch. The are was covered in thick brush. He was wearing his helmet.

Out of respect to the family and loved ones we will be closing this thread and creating a Memorial Page to Donald where you can share some kinds words with everyone.

My thoughts and Prayers are with the family.

Rest in Peace Donald Masters.

DM

Smoothice
09-21-2009, 12:41 PM
That sucks.

Glad he has been found.

Knowing is better then not knowing.

snoopay700
09-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Oh man, i'm really sorry, although i'm glad you found him at least. My condolences to you, his family, and his friends.