PDA

View Full Version : Old Automag RT not firing

Madwolvez
09-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Sorry about the title but i didn't know how to phrase it any other way.

Background:
I just received an old Automag rt with the gas through rail.

Service done to the marker:
I almost completely dismantled the marker, cleaned each part with alcohol wipes, oil up the valve components and put the marker back together.

The Issue:
The old automag Rt will not fire. There is constant pressure behind the trigger all the way through the trigger pull but when pulled all the way back there is no shot.

My guess:
i believe it is an issue with the on off pin not getting low enough to allow pressure to build in the charge chamber. This i think is either caused by the rocking sear or the on off pin being to long.

Now before i start assuming stuff and doing irreversible damage i wanted to know what the people who have been with automags more than a month (like me) think about my issue.

BiNumber3
09-12-2009, 11:38 AM
What pressure is the tank putting out?
And what bolt system do you have, lvl7 or lvl10? (if you don't know, is the brass tip of the valve hex shapedor round with 2 notches?)

Madwolvez
09-12-2009, 11:44 AM
The pressure output on the hpa tanks i have no idea other than the brands of the tanks.
The tanks are 2 Gorilla air, A pure energy, and a crossfire tank.
The bolt is a lvl 7.

BiNumber3
09-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Hmm, and none of those tanks work? are they all 3k or 4.5k?
Have you tried turning the velocity nut in till if fires? or starts leaking from the back?

Madwolvez
09-12-2009, 11:52 AM
The pure energy and Gorillas are 3k tanks and the crossfire is a 4.5k. They all had the same result.
A friend told me to do that but when the velocity was all the way back it did not leak even when it fell out and i thought brass was going to shoot out. When it was all the way in nothing different happened.
This is why i think its something to do with the on off assembly but am unsure.

Ando
09-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Have you tried turning the velocity nut in till if fires? or starts leaking from the back?
QFT. Try that first before you get more into it.

There's a allen key slot in te back of the RT valve. Turn it clockwise till it either bottoms out or starts shooting.

BiNumber3
09-12-2009, 12:01 PM
also, what trigger frame do you have, is there a gap between the trigger and the pin when pressurized?

Madwolvez
09-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Velocity Adjustment:
Like i said i turned my velocity adjusted all the way in nothing happens. When turned all the way back there is no leak and the adjusted feel out and the brass stayed in place meaning no pressure was getting to the velocity adjuster.

Trigger frame:
On the trigger frame i am not sure about how big the gap should be but feel that it is not the trigger frame. The reason why is that i removed the trigger frame and screwed the marker back together with spacers (to to account for the missing trigger frame) and tried moving the rocking sear itself but still same results.

Ando
09-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Find something you can stick down the barrel and try pushing on the bolt. See if it resets.

BiNumber3
09-12-2009, 01:20 PM
make sure there are no obstructions in your air line as well, and do all the tanks you're testing with have over 1k psi left in them?

fishmishin
09-12-2009, 02:21 PM
It sounds like your not getting any air to the valve, because you turned the velocity all the way up and it didn't leak. If there was air present you should have had a leak out the back of the valve from it being over pressurized. If you know the tanks work I would look at the asa, or on/off that your using. It maybe that when you screw your on/off all the way in it is pressing the pin on your tank in to far. It is a common problem with cheaper on/offs. Try backing the on/off out about a half turn.

Madwolvez
09-12-2009, 04:08 PM
I feel really stupid now. After messing around with it some more and examining the shear i could see that is was not completely up to catch the bolt which also meant it was not opening the on off valve. after some tweaking and replacing some oring that were split she started working again. I feel like a idiot and this only proves to me that i still have allot to learn about automags. Thanks for the help.

Frizzle Fry
09-13-2009, 02:52 AM
I feel really stupid now. After messing around with it some more and examining the shear i could see that is was not completely up to catch the bolt which also meant it was not opening the on off valve. after some tweaking and replacing some oring that were split she started working again. I feel like a idiot and this only proves to me that i still have allot to learn about automags. Thanks for the help.

Old R/Ts are notorious for O-ring issues on the airthru bolt (frame to valve?) and in the valve back... I think I replaced them just about every time I stripped my marker just because they'd fall apart.

fishmishin
09-14-2009, 11:14 AM

No reason to feel stupid, I have had a mag since 96, and I learn something new from these guys everyday. Even my post kinda made me feel a little stupid though after I went back and read your OP, lol.