PDA

View Full Version : e-mag charger voltage/charging issues

om3n
09-12-2009, 04:27 PM
So I just bought some e-mag lowers, and I got them TODAY and I just got done playing with them for the first time, and I couldn't use e-mode at all because the battery that came with them was pretty much dead when I got it and I didn't have time to charge it unfortunately. Of course, mech mode (what I'm used to) worked beautifully. It took alot of messing with the sear to get it to fire in mech-mode, but it's working great. I love my e-tac :D

WELL.... I got home just now and realized that it came with the charger, but no cord to charge it with :rolleyes:

So I looked at the input on the charger, and it says DC 10-15 volts. I went to check out the power supply on my electric keyboard in my room, and it outputs DC 10 volts. Sweet. So I plug it into the charger, and it fits like it was designed to be there :) Well, I plugged it into the wall, and when I did that the light turned RED for a second on the charger, more like 1/4 second, and then it turned green... doesn't green mean fully charged?? The LCD on my mag was showing that the battery was low, but when I plugged it into the wall charger it's showing up as fully charged. What is going on? I am leaving it in the wall just in case, but is this normal? And am I safe with my 10 volt power supply?

Thanks guys

om3n

athomas
09-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Make sure your 10v dc supply has the capacity to deliver 1 to 1.5A of current.

The green light will come on if the battery is not making good contact with the charger or if there is a bad battery.

om3n
09-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Make sure your 10v dc supply has the capacity to deliver 1 to 1.5A of current.

The green light will come on if the battery is not making good contact with the charger or if there is a bad battery.

Bad battery? That's possible... I have no idea how old this battery is- how would I check this?

Tunaman
09-12-2009, 06:29 PM
It should go red then green as it is trickle charging. These batteries take a few hours to charge up fully and 12v input is recommended. The battery charger should output around 23-26 volts when working correctly, And a completed charge should read 18-20 volts in the battery. I like to charge them for 8+ hours. An hour in the car on the 12v cord won't really do it.

ta2maki
09-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Bad battery? That's possible... I have no idea how old this battery is- how would I check this?

Easiest way would be to leave it on the charger for 10-12 hours and see if the battery holds the charge. The red/green light is a more of a current indicator than a charge/complete. I've had new batteries that go green in a couple of hours, but still not fully charged.

om3n
09-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Easiest way would be to leave it on the charger for 10-12 hours and see if the battery holds the charge. The red/green light is a more of a current indicator than a charge/complete. I've had new batteries that go green in a couple of hours, but still not fully charged.

Well mine went green in less than a second :/

What is the disadvantage of using a 10v power supply?

Also, I'm only getting 700mA out of my power supply too... is that not going to work well?

athomas
09-12-2009, 09:43 PM
A 700mA output means you are not going to fully realize the charge capability of the charger. It could also affect the charge sensing, but that is just a guess. I don't know how the AGD charger specifically functions. The low capability combined with a low input voltage could affect the operation and maybe the reason you are getting a premature green light.

If the battery voltage reaches near its capacity, the charger switches to its trickle charge mode. This is when the green light comes on. The voltage that is selected for this is less than the full capacity of the battery pack to protect it from overcharging. It is then topped up and maintained on trickle charge. Depending on the starting condition, the capacity, and condition of the battery pack, the exact time for each pack to reach the trickle charge state could be very different.

Ando
09-12-2009, 09:47 PM
I have 2 batteries one charges as advertised and the other goes red/green the second I plug it in. Both hold charges and work properly so I don't see it as an issue. Could be that the battery is going bad but I guess time will tell.

om3n
09-12-2009, 10:10 PM
I have 2 batteries one charges as advertised and the other goes red/green the second I plug it in. Both hold charges and work properly so I don't see it as an issue. Could be that the battery is going bad but I guess time will tell.

Well I just played with the battery after a little while of messing with it, dry fired about 2000 shots, and now that I have plugged it back in the led on the charger is red and has been for several minutes now. Would it be worth investing in a better power supply for the charger?

Tunaman
09-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Well I just played with the battery after a little while of messing with it, dry fired about 2000 shots, and now that I have plugged it back in the led on the charger is red and has been for several minutes now. Would it be worth investing in a better power supply for the charger?
Yes. The one that comes with it from the factory(12volt) or the radioshack 12v 1500ma wall charger.

om3n
09-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Yes. The one that comes with it from the factory(12volt) or the radioshack 12v 1500ma wall charger.

Ok, how much does the radioshack charger generally cost?

Also, does anyone have an extra battery saver pin they wouldn't mind giving me/selling to me :rolleyes: I also didn't seem to get one of those with my lowers either.... They cost $2 each from the AGD store, so if anyone is willing to sell me one I'd pay for shipping and for the pin.

EDIT

well I was looking through all of my electronics that I own, and I found a 12v 1.5 amp power adapter :D

It's now charging up my battery... now about that battery saver pin. Does anyone have an extra one?

athomas
09-13-2009, 08:42 AM
... now about that battery saver pin. Does anyone have an extra one?Use a plastic golf tee. That's what I used after I lost both of the pins that I had. It works great. Just don't get one that is too fat or it won't fit in the hole.

maniacmechanic
09-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Use a plastic golf tee. That's what I used after I lost both of the pins that I had. It works great. Just don't get one that is too fat or it won't fit in the hole.

Sometimes you make things so simple :clap:

om3n
09-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Sometimes you make things so simple :clap:

wow that is actually a good idea- believe it or not, I tried several things that wouldn't fit before you posted this, and among them was a wooden golf tee that wouldn't fit lol

I will try to find one, but I really would like to have an AGD one.

by the way... I LOVE my e-mag. It's so easy to walk, but I will perfect walking it, and this will probably be the last high end marker I buy. I can't believe more people don't have these.

fishmishin
09-14-2009, 10:40 AM
I got to play with my first e-mag yesterday, and I would totally have to agree with you. I like it better than the 07 Ego I played with for awhile this summer. I still have a good deal of work to do to mine to get it like I want it though.

om3n
09-14-2009, 10:54 AM
I got to play with my first e-mag yesterday, and I would totally have to agree with you. I like it better than the 07 Ego I played with for awhile this summer. I still have a good deal of work to do to mine to get it like I want it though.

I'm going to quote you on being an ex-ego owner liking his mag better than the ego :p

I love the snappy trigger of the mag, it's actually alot different than most triggers I've felt. I have many things I'd like to do to my mag too when I have the money, but for now I've decided to get the board flashed with x-mod and leave it at that. Eventually I would like to get possibly a tuna blade, but I honestly don't know if I would like one because it pushes your middle finger so far forward that it looks like you wouldn't have alot of room in front of it for walking :/

fishmishin
09-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Thats cool quote away, I have no problems admitting it. Although I am probably a little biased since I have had way more mags than egos, but don't get me wrong I did like the ego. Just not as much as my e-mag.

I have a tunablade on my e-mag, I just put it on last week. I can walk it pretty descent, and I have never been really good at walking a trigger. I like the hump in the middle of it a lot, especially in hybrid mode. I myself want to look into getting xmod, simply for the adjustablilty it adds. It's gonna be a bit before I can do it though.

om3n
09-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Thats cool quote away, I have no problems admitting it. Although I am probably a little biased since I have had way more mags than egos, but don't get me wrong I did like the ego. Just not as much as much as my e-mag.

I have a tunablade on my e-mag, I just put it on last week. I can walk it pretty descent, and I have never been really good at walking a trigger. I like the hump in the middle of it a lot, especially in hybrid mode. I myself want to look into getting xmod, simply for the adjustablilty it adds. It's gonna be a bit before I can do it though.

Does the tunablade change the way the trigger feels? Or does it really just change the "shape" of the trigger? I want x-mod because I play lots of woodsball, and nearly every day I host paintball at my place we play at least one game where it's me and my brother against like 16+ other people lol and being able to have 25 bps rebounding will be nice for those games lol

I do want to perfect walking my trigger in semi too though for tourneys. I can walk it decently right now, but just not as consistently as I would like. Just tell me what you honestly think, does the tuna blade really help significantly with walking over the stock double finger trigger?

fishmishin
09-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Unfortunatelly I can't answer whether or not it changes the trigger feel. It was the first trigger I had. My lower's didn't come with a trigger. I would think it will just change the trigger shape. I know mine is still really snappy. I plan on playing some more tournaments next year with mine also, one of the many reasons I wanted a e-mag. I have to practice alot to get to the point were I can walk mine better though.

Also if you look at the comparison chart of Xmod to the AGD software it has a lot more options.
http://www.niedtech.com/

Ando
09-14-2009, 11:57 AM
I have to practice alot to get to the point were I can walk mine better though.

QFT. That's where it's at. Make the fingers bleed!!! :p

IMO triggers don't mattered to much when walking, blades do make it a smoother operation tho. I do like my Tunablade for the simple fact it's like a hybrid. Has the characteristics of a stock E-Mag trigger, which I love to death and a blade all in one package. While in Mec mode R/T'ing, your finger isn't sliding all over the place like it would with a straight blade, reason being I'm not a fan of blades and the blade part has a nice area for walking in E-Mode which is a +

I'd like to see yours when I come down fish. I'll be bringing mine 2.

fishmishin
09-14-2009, 12:13 PM
It's nothing more than a lump of mix matched parts right now, lol. I have great intentions for it though.

Ando
09-14-2009, 12:37 PM
It's nothing more than a lump of mix matched parts right now, lol. I have great intentions for it though.
Those are the best type. ;)

athomas
09-14-2009, 06:39 PM
The Tunablade has a better angle to support walking than the standard emag trigger. I have had the stock trigger, a fireblade and the Tunablade. I like the feel of the Tunablade the best of them all. But remember, each person has his/her own shooting style, so what works for one person may not work for someone else.