PDA

View Full Version : Aliens VS Predator Senario (PLZ Help!)

Danielkong916
09-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Hey guys,
I work at a field and we have been doing OK as far as attendance but obviously the way things are w/ money and what not it always helps to have extras and cool events to bring people out and either get them into paintball in the first place or re-kindle that flame for people who used to play. I have been throwing around a few ideas for a scenario game to get some more people out over the past few weekends and the owner seems very interested. I have done quite a few large events public and private but nothing or this magnitude. To be honest I would be happy w/ a turnout of even 100-200 players. I am looking for any input or ideas that people have to make this better. It is a very large property almost entirely woods ball w/ a lot of bases and bunkers well spread throughout the near 900 acres.

I have a decent idea of how to make things work but am very open to both player input as well as field manager/owner input. My main objective is to get a good turnout to an event that is run very smoothly so that new and experienced players alike have a great experience that they would like to repeat.

Here are the field specs:
1. Fairly large shaded parking area about the size of a football field
2. They offer drinks and snacks(no serious meals typically unless its a private party)
3. (1) 3000 PSI fill station(may have access to several scuba tanks for on field refill)
4. Co2 Fills
5. Accept Visa/MasterCard and obviously Cash
6. About 20-25 Working rental Packages of various type mainly Model 98s
7. Close to 10 staff members will be available possibly more if needed
8. 15 Major bases w/ various bunkers around and between bases spread fairly evenly throughout the central property

Questions that I have:

Do you think it is a good idea to have a scuba tank or 2 @ each teams home base in case there is a big fire fight so people may not need to walk all the way back to the staging area?(about a 1/4-1/2 mile hike from either main base) and should the amount of times that those tanks are filled be limited so that it makes it easier on the staff and so the teams use those fills more wisely?

How should re spawn and insertion be done? I was thinking of having a taped trail to the re spawn from both starting bases so that when you were shot out you walk to the nearest taped trail follow it to the re spawn and then once you are re spawned you follow it back to your starting base?

How should the point system work and any ideas for special themed objectives/missions?

When you think of the best scenario game that you played what stands out the most, as far as how the field went out of their way to accommodate you?

Any ideas for making ID cards and theme specific roles apart from the obvious commander/spy/medic roles?

How and when should the lunch break be taken?(whenever they want it or everyone must break @ the same time.)

If there was a assigned lunch break how long should it be for?

Should player to player radio communication be allowed?

Medics or no Medics?

If medics are allowed what is a good ratio of medics to players?

Are people more likely to play if field paint isn't required?

Is it worth it for the field to provide lunch or is it more hassle than it is worth?

Should Grenades (high pressure water balloons, not explosive based) be allowed?

If Grenades are allowed should there be a limit or maybe should only specific player be allowed to use them?

Things that I know will have to be rules:

No Tanks

No Rocket Launchers

No Select fire or Full-Auto

No Pyrotechnics or Smoke Grenades or any type

Please feel free to give any advice you may have. I am very open and would love for this to be a great event and possibly repeat it in the future. If you can think of anything that might make the event better or more player friendly please don't hesitate to jump in. I am mainly looking for mission ideas and game dynamics that would make things more fun on the field, but if you have any off the field tips for making things run smoother those are equally appreciated! Thanks in advance and Best Wishes!
-Dan

badpennny
09-24-2009, 07:42 PM
I'll take a shot at this from a player's perspective...

Do you think it is a good idea to have a scuba tank or 2 @ each teams home base in case there is a big fire fight so people may not need to walk all the way back to the staging area?(about a 1/4-1/2 mile hike from either main base) and should the amount of times that those tanks are filled be limited so that it makes it easier on the staff and so the teams use those fills more wisely?

I'd say this depends on the flow and number of people. If people forgo getting fills in the staging area and get them filled at their base once in play, it could create some congestion at the base and hinder things like mission deployments. On the other hand, if you have 900+ acres, I can see the benefit of having air fills on the field. I'd say try it for a few hours and play around with it...could be great, or you may find it's more of a hassle.

How should re spawn and insertion be done? I was thinking of having a taped trail to the re spawn from both starting bases so that when you were shot out you walk to the nearest taped trail follow it to the re spawn and then once you are re spawned you follow it back to your starting base?

I would give people guidance as to how to get back to the staging area as well. People will want to grab a snack, some water, reload on paint, etc. Your idea is good in principle though.

How should the point system work and any ideas for special themed objectives/missions?

Make a list of objectives/missions that fit into the theme and story. There are many options: demo missions, attack, attack and hold (for x number of minutes), retrieve items, snipe, ambush, etc. If you give out missions according to the time, make sure the opposing team has a similar mission so that the two groups of players actually have to battle for the objective.

When you think of the best scenario game that you played what stands out the most, as far as how the field went out of their way to accommodate you?

Reffing. Make sure the refs know the basics, as well as any rules specific to the scenario game itself. Don't tolerate cheaters. Anything you do in terms of logistics and atmosphere will be a bonus if you get these two things right.

Any ideas for making ID cards and theme specific roles apart from the obvious commander/spy/medic roles?

Since you are delving into the AVP universe, there are many characters you can incorporate into play: marines, scientists, different predator classes, rogue corporations, etc. Giving each role special abilities will make missions more exciting, because different roles will have to work together to accomplish objectives.

How and when should the lunch break be taken?(whenever they want it or everyone must break @ the same time.)If there was a assigned lunch break how long should it be for?

Depends when you start, though taking a universal break for lunch is not a bad idea. I'd say at least an hour, but no more than 2, especially if you stop before night. How long will this event last? They mostly come out at night...mostly.

Should player to player radio communication be allowed?

Might as well, since it's a pain to enforce otherwise. Just make it clear that the reffing channel is off limits (no monitoring either).

Medics or no Medics?
If medics are allowed what is a good ratio of medics to players?

On a large field, I'd say go for it. If you cap a mission at, say, 15 players, 1 should be a medic. They should be rare enough on the field to make their presence very valuable to their team, and effective enough to make them a good target for the other team.

Are people more likely to play if field paint isn't required?

Depends how much you're charging and what kind of paint you're selling. If you offer RPS Premium or better for $50-$60, I'd buy it at the field, as opposed to getting it online and then paying for shipping and hoping nothing got smashed in transit. Also depends on total cost to the player for the day (admission, rental, etc.).

Is it worth it for the field to provide lunch or is it more hassle than it is worth?

Depends on how many staff members you can devote to serving it. I would offer it for those who want it; just get a big charcoal grill and some brats/burgers. Whatever you don't use on event day you can always use for open play (or to feed the refs). If you can offset this cost in the admission fee, you don't have to have additional staff charging for food and handling cash.

Should Grenades (high pressure water balloons, not explosive based) be allowed?

Not at night. And if used during the day, make sure you tell the refs what size marking will constitute a "hit."

If Grenades are allowed should there be a limit or maybe should only specific player be allowed to use them?

Nah, at $5 a pop, most people don't use them anyway. Grenades are cool in theory, but they remain a novelty on the field.

Hope that helps!