PDA

View Full Version : MaxFlo 'adjustable' cap stuck..

Konigballer
09-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Hey guys,

My MaxFlo reg cap is REALLY hard to adjust above 850psi, more like impossible. I only got the reg cap to screw in that much by using a rubber top grabber, and a small allen wrench inserted in the cap holes to help me turn it. This is not what I would call an 'adjustable reg' if I can't get it near to its potential.

Is this normal for these things, is there a break in period for the large spring inside the reg cap? I basically got this new in the box so it's pretty much unused. On the plus side for straight semi it works fantastic, snappy and quick with my single trigger benchy.

Ando
09-24-2009, 02:31 PM
what kind of maxflow you have? Is it a 3rd gen? If so. Mine does the same thing. Get an adj wrench and adj that way. It'll be fine.

Konigballer
09-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Its 2nd gen manifold, not 3rd gen inline maxflo.

Spider-TW
09-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Idk about the manifold regs, did they have a low pressure option? That is a problem when buying the inlines.

Without the air on, can you adjust it higher? They get stiff about there with air, but my inline is pretty easy to work with the air off.

Konigballer
09-24-2009, 04:59 PM
I have the HP vers, and its the actual cap spring thats making it hard to turn. If I take it out the cap screws all the way down no prob. Its hard to turn no matter if its aired up or not past a certain point where the spring is compressed. I think when it wears in it will be easier.

xero28
09-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Your piston spring might be worn out? You might try putting a quarter or 1/2 dollar piece or two in between the adjuster cap and the filter, this will push the piston in further...I think.

Edit...It might also be that the threads are off a little bit between the cap and the body. So when the spring is pushing on it, there is a lot of force going against the threads, almost making them want to cross. Sorry if that doesn't make sense, kind of hard to explain.

Konigballer
09-24-2009, 10:30 PM
well, I figured out how to turn the cap in more.. and it was kind of a 'duh' solution. The reg turn cap has squared off sides, perfect for getting a wrench around. Just wrapped a lil eletric tape around it to protect the ano and gave it a couple turns easy with my wrench. Now I'm pumping around 1000psi and my Retro Valve is singing beautifully! :shooting:

Ando
09-24-2009, 10:45 PM
GG :clap: