PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Classic Valve?

BiNumber3
09-24-2009, 08:54 PM
So, I think everyone knows Classic valves can use Raptor and some other Air America valve halves (and if you didnt, now you do:P). This resulted in weight savings without loss of performance, however there was a loss of the z-lock pin which is a safety mechanism most would rather not lose.

So, what if we took a raptor reg back, or similar (maybe a milled down classic back), and made an acrylic "sleeve" that would go over the reg back, taking the place of the metal, and the z-lock pin installed there.
Or perhaps a brass sleeve, and a brass twistlock body... *imagines a brass mag :P

Newt
09-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Doable. It would certainly look cool, too. You'd loose the "3000 PSI" rating though, and you'd better do some thorough testing at 1000 PSI before playing with it, let alone selling the thing.

vf-xx
09-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Doable. It would certainly look cool, too. You'd loose the "3000 PSI" rating though, and you'd better do some thorough testing at 1000 PSI before playing with it, let alone selling the thing.

I don't know why you would. I'm pretty sure the AA regs are rated to 3000 PSI.

If I understand correctly all he wants to do is to put a sleeve over the AA section of the reg.

Newt
09-25-2009, 03:49 PM
To do that, the first step is removing material (stainless steel). When we replace steel with acrylic, we end up with less total "strength". That translates directly into a lower PSI rating.

vf-xx
09-25-2009, 04:02 PM
To do that, the first step is removing material (stainless steel). When we replace steel with acrylic, we end up with less total "strength". That translates directly into a lower PSI rating.

I understand the theory of screwing with your pressure limits and your burst vs. leak calculations when you reduce wall thickness.

Sorry if I'm being slow, but I don't see where he's removing anything. the AA reg is already turned down, yes. But I'm pretty sure it's rated to 3k since it's off a 3k tankn reg.

My understanding is, you just cut some acrylic/brass/ whatever, to fit over the AA section of the reg that is already turned down.

What am I missing? Where are you suggesting making cuts?

MANN
09-25-2009, 04:07 PM
however there was a loss of the z-lock pin which is a safety mechanism most would rather not lose.

all the zlock does is make sure you dont unscrew your reg from your body.

Newt
09-25-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm assuming he's saying we could take an existing valve back (Classic or 3rd Party) and put it on a lathe/mill. Turn down the outside diameter "shell", then fit an acrylic sleeve over it.

The AA back was mentioned because it's starting at the reduced diameter, but it doesn't have the Z pin.

That's my reading of the OP.

vf-xx
09-25-2009, 04:25 PM
So, what if we took a raptor reg back, or similar (maybe a milled down classic back),

Ahh. I missed that bit, I was focusing on the raptor back.

Meh. milling the back half of the valve shouldn't affect the rating so long as you don't screw up the threaded area. The back half isn't really pressure retaining anyway.

BiNumber3
09-25-2009, 05:59 PM
all the zlock does is make sure you dont unscrew your reg from your body.
yea, but it's still nice to have, I do notice the valve back turns out a little bit if there's no pin, nothing major, as long as you notice it turning.

And yea, I'm mainly thinking of adding the sleeve to a raptor back, since actually modifying stainless steel will take a lot of time using a dremel/grinder, or expensive machinery:)