PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide between these two pumps.

RavishingEddie
09-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Well I been excited about returning to paintball, and really want to use a pump.

The Lapco Grey Ghost looks like a great marker. I held it in HB when it first came out
and it felt good in my hands. I love the way it looks and the consistency I heard is real good.

The second one is the Tippmann C3. I know this is an old gun that is discontinued, but my curiosity about how this oddball of a marker performs really makes me curious.
I don't know if it will out perform the Greyghost, but is it even worth getting?

Just want some opinions if anyone has ever owned any of these.

Lohman446
09-30-2009, 05:27 PM
I have a Grey Ghost, rather impressed myself, do not have a C3 to compare though.

Sumthinwicked
09-30-2009, 05:48 PM
grey ghost hands down tippman to bulky and its a tipmann.......

WickedKlown2
09-30-2009, 05:50 PM
This is a pic of my 2008 Grey Ghost and I love it... It's been to 2 AO South meet and greets and getting ready for it's 3rd...

http://www.hellions.net/Warzone/picture.php?albumid=5&pictureid=19

Group Pic taken at AO South '08 with me holding my Ghost... (Mann is kneeling to my right and Kruger is kneeling to my left)
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff63/wickedklown2/AOS-5.jpg

WK2

hmudd13
09-30-2009, 08:02 PM
The 2 markers you chose are like night and day.
From personal experiance you'll want to avoid the C3.:nono:
Inaccurate, finicky, very temp sensitive and I had one shoot a flame out the side once.
Not to mention, you'll never find an aftermarket barrel for it.

I'm not sure about the new ghost's but the old ones were nice. (i'd grab a phantom myself)
Lots of parts, mods, configurations. :bounce:

WickedKlown2
09-30-2009, 08:15 PM
with the New Ghosts : Spyder Ball Detent (so NO Widgets or Ring Detents required or needed),,, Spyder Threaded Barrel (comes with a 14" Lapco Big Shot in .688),,, You can now get a vertical feed adaptor and comes stock with the Lapco #6 power tube and very is light weight...

I am looking into getting this barrel for mine : 10" Lapco Assault Barrel (http://www.lapcopaintball.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=1_55_61&products_id=464)

and here is the link for the Grey Ghost Vertical Feed Assembly : Vertical Feed (http://www.lapcopaintball.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=527)

I also get about 40 good shots off a 12 gram...

WK2

Watcher
09-30-2009, 08:37 PM
The C3 was a (failed) attempt at a reach to rural painball. I wouldn't touch one with a 40 ft pole.

If you are interested in a Tippmann pump, get one of the new SL-68IIs. They aren't any better than the original SL-68s, but they have their ups.

Grey Ghost all the way.

And if you don't like it, I have a Phantom I'd be willing to trade for the Ghost :D

going_home
09-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Dont discount the new/old pump Tippmann is re-releasing tomorrow.
Supposed to be $169.00 msrp.

Tippmann is reintroducing a paintball legend with a few modern updates, including a redesigned integrated feed neck that fits most current standard hoppers, as well as a redesigned ergonomic grip for enhanced comfort and control. Most of the other great features that helped establish the original as a true paintball legend still remain. These features include a smooth short stroke design, 11-inch performance aluminum barrel, solid cast aluminum receiver, breech port for easy cleaning, all-metal trigger, external velocity adjuster, built-in sight rail, integrated tank adapter with built-in gas line, and front and rear sling mounts.

Key Features:
• 11” Performance Aluminum Barrel For Accuracy
• Smooth Short Stroke Design For Speed
• Redesigned Integrated Feed Neck Fits Most Standard Hoppers
• Auto Receiver For Faster Firing – Hold trigger and pump repeatedly for continuous firing
• Solid Cast Aluminum Receiver and Non Corrosive Internals for Durability
• Redesigned Ergonomic Grip For Comfort And Control
• Integrated Tank Adapter with Built-in Gas Line
• Front and Rear Sling Mounts

The SL-68 II will be available at your local paintball dealer store beginning October 1, 2009.
2 Point Sling

Tippmann Loader 200 Rd.
3 Point Tactical Sling

Caliber: 0.68

Action: Poppet Valve
Power: N/A

Hopper Capacity: N/A (Hopper will not be sold with marker)
CO2 Capacity: N/A (Customer Choice)

Feed rate: N/A
Firing rate: N/A (As fast as the customer can pump it)

Trigger: Stainless Steel
Barrel length: 11 inches

Length: 17.1 inches (Overall)
Weight: 2.24 lbs

Effective Range: N/A

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n359/Robinsucks/SL68II.jpg

;)

secretweaponevan
09-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Ghost.

Hands down.

BiNumber3
09-30-2009, 09:45 PM
how would a pumpmag compare to the ghost? or other pumps for that matter?

secretweaponevan
09-30-2009, 09:53 PM
how would a pumpmag compare to the ghost? or other pumps for that matter?

Pumpmags are neat.

Ghosts are sexy-smooth.

WickedKlown2
09-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Pumpmags are neat.

Ghosts are sexy-smooth.

Also I would like to add : My '08 Ghost will get 20 more shots off a 12 gram than a pumpmag... And the Ghost is very sexy-smooth :)

WK2

Lohman446
10-01-2009, 07:18 AM
The Ghost is a (slightly) heavier version of the Phantom (I have both) with a couple wonderful ideas - like the detent for instance. That being said CCM customer support is exemplarary, Lapco I have been told is not. Aside from the detent I doubt you would notice much of a difference between a well tuned Ghost and a well tuned Phantom.

The stock class pump mag I built (and sold) was neat. An action marker illussion feed tube fits a ULE body, can be milled for the pump. That being said it was more gimicky than a true stock class (though it legally was). I have considered building one again though, just for kicks.

wetwrks
10-01-2009, 10:09 AM
My brother in law was told by a Tippmann rep that the Tippmann C3 has been recalled for heat problems.

RavishingEddie
10-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess it makes sense why the Tippmann C3 was discontinued while the Grey Ghost was recontinued.

I personally owned an SL68 II for 8 years before I sold it. I was rugged and durable, but
no matter what barrel I managed to find for it, it would never be as accurate as my brothers Phantom. My brothers Phantom was not as rugged, while my SL was not as accurate.

I searched many pumps including Buzzards, CCM and Phantoms, and now I'm pretty much set with the Grey Ghost. The only reason I was thinking C3 was because of the concept and such, but i guess it had too many flaws.

XM15
10-01-2009, 05:26 PM
My buddies SL68-II was acurate enough to win the 1993 International Masters pump gun target shoot competion. The look on Bill Gardner's face after watching this skinny 17year old kid with a SL68-II beat him and his Sterling is unforgetable. Tipmann used him in their magazine ads for awhile to promote the SL68-II. My buddy still has that same SL68-II and he just used it last weekend in a big game.