PDA

View Full Version : Chuff Chuff Art Crit.

DECOY
10-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Hey everyone! Lately I havent been drawing much. But then I read the Chuff Chuff post by TK and "BAM!" instant inspiration. Id like to share with you a work in progress. Its my take on the imagery that TK spoke of. Opinions and ideas are always welcomed. Thanks in advance!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/scratchvinyl/agd3-1.jpg

MANN
10-07-2009, 08:39 AM
That is awesome.

jade_monkey07
10-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Very well done

CaliMagFan
10-11-2009, 10:51 AM
very anthropomorphic. I question your use of a pentagram- it's a popular symbol. Looks pretty good, maybe clean it up to finish it. nice work

MANN
10-11-2009, 11:49 AM
I question your use of a pentagram- it's a popular symbol.

You would have to remember the automag revolution to understand some of the symbols. search through the archived threads, and you will understand.

going_home
10-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Lose the pentagram and put in the AO honeycomb symbol.

http://www.automags.org/pic/ttl/hdr_logo.gif

;)

DECOY
10-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Lose the pentagram and put in the AO honeycomb symbol.

http://www.automags.org/pic/ttl/hdr_logo.gif

;)

Very good idea! I'll use it. It would be very positive to use the Hexagons. Kudos to you good Sir, kudos.

maniacmechanic
10-11-2009, 08:30 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2635733&postcount=142

Just make it look like a star

dre1919
10-16-2009, 11:59 PM
It's actually not a pentagram, it's a pentangle. Big difference in meaning.

CaliMagFan
11-02-2009, 11:59 PM
It's actually not a pentagram, it's a pentangle. Big difference in meaning.

Most sources show pentangle as a pseudonym for pentagram, so I'm not sure what "big difference" you see in the meaning.

In response to MANN: it's not that there is no meaning of the pentagram to a small group of people here on the AO forums. It's that the symbol has MUCH farther-reaching implications than WE here might intend when including it in a representative symbol for us.

Ando
11-03-2009, 12:24 AM
Uneducated people might think that but the pentagram has hundreds of meanings behind it. Will it be a problem. No. Most if not all people see the upside down pentagram as evil not the right side up. If that was the case then I'm sure we'll have a all hands on deck with pitch forks and torches at the ready :p

Might as well call Jewish people satanist 2 :rolleyes:

behemoth
11-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Might as well call Jewish people Christ Killers too.

fixed.

Ando
11-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Cold blooded!

CaliMagFan
11-07-2009, 01:47 AM
Uneducated people might think that...

HUH? Who's uneducated and what do they think?

...but the pentagram has hundreds of meanings behind it.

That's my point. No matter what it means or to whom it means it, that symbol is SO widely used that it's a liability to use it in your art.

Rudimentary iconography.

Ando
11-07-2009, 02:15 AM
HUH? Who's uneducated and what do they think?

People who think the worst of everything. Don't bother to do researching and go off on the deep end on topics they don't understand.
Like most of our congressmen and so called leaders and then there's _ _ _ :rolleyes:

That's my point. No matter what it means or to whom it means it, that symbol is SO widely used that it's a liability to use it in your art.

ROFL....So is the cross and what liability are you referring to? Now your going to start telling us not to use the letter "P" because it's a "liability"!!! "OMG, looks like balls and a penis". Seriously, where is it going to end?

Rudimentary iconography.
Sorry you lost me with "Rud"

CaliMagFan
11-07-2009, 04:16 AM
:) Ok, I hope this clears it up and this can be the last I say on this topic...

I fear that somehow my original critique of the art has been twisted away from its original intention. Quite simply- I meant to lend constructive criticism to DECOY.

His original piece is good. I feel that he made the attempt to create an icon- or brand label if you will. The piece includes several symbols that we can all recognize, and a couple of them are familiar to the current logo of AGD/AO (the lions, the shield in the middle, the ribbons, the slogan).

Ok, so where does this all go wrong? Well it doesn't- but it could do better- at least that's what I'm positing here. I recommended removing the star from the center. Why?

Now we're into iconography (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iconography). And please, Ando, spare me the condescension. I object to the use of the 5 pointed star- the pentagram, or pent-angle, on the basis that it is a PROLIFIC ICON.

What do we think when we see it? -and by "WE" I mean WE ALL as people in western civilization/ potential viewers of DECOY's paintball-related art-

Well, we see tons of things, one of the least of which is a connection to AGD/AO, so it suits an icon designer to make something NEW and recognizable.

Connections with the five point star:
Judaism, Christianity, Wicca, Masonite, communism, US military honor, multiple US state flags have one star (including my state, Ca), some states have multiple-star flags: Tennessee with three to Indiana with eighteen. The kudos you got in first grade for not picking your nose (star sticker). -- I digress

All this talk of congressmen and not bothering to research and being uneducated- where did that all come from?

I wish you, Ando especially, would stop being so inflammatory- really there was nothing reactionary in anything that I have said in this thread.

Even DECOY said, with regard to changing the star to the AO hex symbol, "Very good idea! I'll use it. It would be very positive to use the Hexagons. Kudos to you good Sir, kudos." (kudos directed at going_home)

Allright, that's enough out of me. I hope this issue is cleared up.

Could we all just take a collective deep breath, realize that we're all in it together, and attempt to build each other up, not tear each other down?

Cali :cool: