PDA

View Full Version : I've got an easy $0.25 RT on/off experiment...

Spider-TW
10-08-2009, 08:43 PM
I just don't have the right setup to test my theory...

This is from various discussions about shaving on/off pins and shimming RT on/offs with ULT shims when using standard output HPA tanks. I've always used an adjustable reg for RT'ing, but the shim idea always interested me.

If you want to try shimming your RT on/off, ULT shims under (or over) the on/off body oring will get squeezed and not always give the top the lift you planned on. However, if you have the standard two top oring setup, you can try putting a washer between the on/off top and the top orings.

The washer here is a 25 cent no.8 brass washer from ACE hardware. It is the exact outside diameter of the on/off top. The ID is a little large, but not too big to seal. It is 0.032 inches thick, so it would be about the same as 6 ULT shims or 3 level 10 shims.

I've put one in a classic mag and couldn't tell much difference, but it had no problems. My RT setup is easy to bounce and wouldn't tell me anything either.

Here's what it looks like...

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/data/1153/S5000822.JPG

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/data/1153/S5000823.JPG

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/data/1153/S5000824.JPG

If you've done something like this, please post up.

tbaggin
10-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I may go try this and let you know. just put an airwalk on my karta and i would like an RT effect with my Xvalve.

Ill post results this weekend.

thanks for the info

Watcher
10-12-2009, 10:40 PM
I have only a single o-ring on/off top. Don't know if it is why, but a No.8 washer was too big OD to fit.

However, I did get a No.6 washer and a No.4 washer. The No.4 I tried putting in the On/Off, with bad results.

First it was a pain because I had to file it down from .250 to .100 so it would allow the valve to enter the body, then when I inserted the washer it caused the On/Off to leak, then when I tightened down the On/Off it bent the washer.

The No.6 washer was just big enough OD and ID to not interfere with the On/Off pin with it's side-to-side play. I filed it to .100 from .250, yet again, and when put on top of the On/Off caused noticibly more reactiviy.

Previously I could not RT sweetspot with my lvl10 installed on a medium spring, but with the washer mod I could get some decent bursts.

On a lvl7 spring I could get it to RT like I had a lvl7 bolt, and I'd imagine that with a lvl7 bolt installed I could get it close to "total devestation mode", even without an adjustable reg!

Not sure if this would cause any premature bolt-wear or anything, but I'm sure if it was bad then the same thing would happen using a ULT right?

Spider-TW
10-13-2009, 01:16 PM
No. 6 for a Classic RT (one oring) - thanks for figuring that one out.

It is the same concept as a ULT, but even with a ULT I would keep an eye on the sear tip and the bolt lip.

What bottle regulator do you have?

***I keep forgetting***

Watcher, unless you've gone metric, I think you mean 0.010 inches and 0.025 inches. I know we can't "drop-in" anything much over 0.030 inches. ;)

Watcher
10-14-2009, 12:58 AM
No. 6 for a Classic RT (one oring) - thanks for figuring that one out.

It is the same concept as a ULT, but even with a ULT I would keep an eye on the sear tip and the bolt lip.

What bottle regulator do you have?

***I keep forgetting***

Watcher, unless you've gone metric, I think you mean 0.010 inches and 0.025 inches. I know we can't "drop-in" anything much over 0.030 inches. ;)

Do I? Hang on, let me look at my Mic really fast.

... hmm... I definitely meant .010 and .025. Good catch.

I used to use a Crossfire stock fixed output 850psi reg, but the LP bust disk blew and I'm too lazy to send it to Crossfire for a rebuild so I got a Ninja reg.
It also outputs 850psi and is set. It is adjustable only via shims in the bonnet, but I haven't messed with it.

Spider-TW
10-14-2009, 10:32 AM
It is adjustable only via shims in the bonnet, but I haven't messed with it.
:ninja: a shim here, a shim there, you could get really cranking on that RT. I'll keep that in mind in case my maxflo starts causing trouble again.

Watcher
10-16-2009, 05:39 PM
:ninja: a shim here, a shim there, you could get really cranking on that RT. I'll keep that in mind in case my maxflo starts causing trouble again.

The question is, do I want to?

I love being able to RT it and walk it, but I rarely do in game unless I play back/support for a maneuver (usually not more than a few), it is the final epic battle, or I just want to show off.

Total devestation mode may be awesome, but I am at heart a Stock and pump player.