PDA

View Full Version : Steel braided hose question

xX TANK Xx
10-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Hey all,

First off, I hope Smoothice doesn't mind me using his picture for reference. As it stands now my hose running from my vert. air adapter to my valve follows the yellow path on the image below. I already have the quick disconnect on my valve, but am wanting to have my hose run beneath my powerfeed to clean up my sight picture when looking down the barrel. Just wanted to make sure I don't order the wrong length, so does anyone know about what the desired hose length would be? I was thinking like either 3" or 4"....

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l464/donshaday/smoothice-sept08-old.jpg

P.S.

Nice looking pump Smoothice. I'm hoping to use some of my Christmas bonus to convert my mag to a pump. I'll just have to wait and see.

Chrome
10-18-2009, 01:59 PM
The 3.75 from actionvillage was too short, the 4.4 works and has a bit more bend than that (straight run to the valve fitting), and I had to go up to the 5.5 when I put on a 15 deg ASA. Note that this is all with a direct right feed body, so I don't have to tuck the line under the PF plug. That said, I would probably try a 4" line to get the setup shown like in the pic.

Smoothice
10-18-2009, 02:42 PM
LOL.

I got your pm. And clicked on the link and figured it was taking me to a thread I had started.

So without looking where I was actually directed to the first thing I noticed was the yellow (path) that your marker currently takes but on my marker.

I was like WTF? How did he edit my picture... :tard:

Then I took a second to see where I was and realized you had started your own thread...

Anyways. Let me go check on the hose length.

xX TANK Xx
10-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Sweet, thanks for taking a sec to go check and see. Yes, I have sneaky internetz ninja skillz.....

Smoothice
10-18-2009, 02:48 PM
tip to tip it is a little over 4 inches. :cheers:

xX TANK Xx
10-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Nice, so it sounds like the 4.4 inch hose from Actionvillage will be on it's way to my house then. Thanks for checking into that for me. :hail:

Smoothice
10-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Oh and by the way.

This setup is a huge pain in the butt.

The hose in reality is about 1/8 to short. So what this means is you need to have the braided line screwed into the fitting as little as possible. If you screw it all the way in then the hose is too short. My hose doesn't even require tools to unscrew :tard:

So I had to use a lot of teflon tape to get a good seal.

Then the next problem you will run into is you have to connect the quick connect while putting the valve in. So you can't just connect or disconnect the fitting with the valve in the gun. You actually have to remove the valve in order to disconnect or connect the fitting.

You need to do it this way because the braided line at this length is not very flexible. There just isn't enough room to connect or disconnect like you would normally do.

Smoothice
10-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Nice, so it sounds like the 4.4 inch hose from Actionvillage will be on it's way to my house then. Thanks for checking into that for me. :hail:

4.4 may be too long....

Does it say exactly what it measures at?

Smoothice
10-18-2009, 02:58 PM
what does this mean?

*NOTE: Measurement is from the very end of the threading*

Is that tip to tip?

xX TANK Xx
10-18-2009, 03:07 PM
I assume it's tip to tip. I may hold off on ordering it to make sure.

lil'Greg
10-19-2009, 05:54 PM
its times like this where i am glad i can make my own braided hoses LOL

horray for working in hydraulics.

Coralis
10-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Oh and by the way.

This setup is a huge pain in the butt.

The hose in reality is about 1/8 to short. So what this means is you need to have the braided line screwed into the fitting as little as possible. If you screw it all the way in then the hose is too short. My hose doesn't even require tools to unscrew :tard:

So I had to use a lot of teflon tape to get a good seal.

Then the next problem you will run into is you have to connect the quick connect while putting the valve in. So you can't just connect or disconnect the fitting with the valve in the gun. You actually have to remove the valve in order to disconnect or connect the fitting.

You need to do it this way because the braided line at this length is not very flexible. There just isn't enough room to connect or disconnect like you would normally do.

I would always cringe when I would get a mag in the shop with a set up like this ... it would take longer to get the dang hose off then it would to rebuild the valve.

Frizzle Fry
10-19-2009, 08:53 PM

I may have a solution for you. It's a 90* elbow that looks like a macro fitting (rather than the standard "cube with a hole in one side"). It gives you a solid centimeter more to play with on either end :cool:

Chrome
10-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Wow. I'm surprised so many people have problems with the tight steel braid line setup. . . I just pull the trigger to set the on/off pin, loosen the quick connect, turn out the thumbscrew, and the tension on the spring pops the valve right out; line up the quick connect, open it up to where it would seat when locked, push the valve in place, and the quick connect locks and holds the valve to turn the thumb screw in - no problem. . . maybe I'm just lucky.

FF, you don't happen to have a link to somewhere to get said fittings? Thanks if you can!

Smoothice
10-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Wow. I'm surprised so many people have problems with the tight steel braid line setup. . . I just pull the trigger to set the on/off pin, loosen the quick connect, turn out the thumbscrew, and the tension on the spring pops the valve right out; line up the quick connect, open it up to where it would seat when locked, push the valve in place, and the quick connect locks and holds the valve to turn the thumb screw in - no problem. . . maybe I'm just lucky.
!

LOL.

Yeah you JUST go through the same 10 step process I do.

I'm only pointing out it requires more then just opening the quick connect...

Newt
10-20-2009, 03:02 PM
its times like this where i am glad i can make my own braided hoses LOL

horray for working in hydraulics.
Change that statement around a bit, post it in the dealer's forum, and you may get some business here. :D