PDA

View Full Version : Pump Mag Problem...

Kraniumkrash
10-22-2009, 09:45 PM
I just finished putting together a pump mag with an original AGD Pump Kit but the gun doesn't seem to be working properly...
The gun shoots fine if I pump and fire but will also shoot whenever I pull the trigger twice without re-cocking with the pump handle.
The first trigger pull feels "sponge like" and the second feels normal. I didn't notice any visible change in velocity with both ways of shooting (I had no chronograph to verify).
It is using a (working verified) level 10 Automag 68 valve/bolt assembly.

Did this ever happen to anyone ?

Thanks a lot!

Yann

Ando
10-22-2009, 10:10 PM
You using a stock spring or a lvl 10 spring?

Could also have a bad/flat waver (how ever you spell it) spring which is allowing the bolt to reset.

Rudz
10-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Lvl x on a pump mag is a no no

Make sure your bumper sits inside the inner diameter of your wave spring

Kraniumkrash
10-22-2009, 10:26 PM
The gun was set up for a fully working level 10 semi auto before its "pumpification". No springs were changed.

Why is a level 10 a bad idea other than the fact that you don't need it for a pump gun ?

I don't think there was a black bumper at all in there... that could explain a lot...

I'll check it out when I get the gun in my hands.

tbaggin
10-22-2009, 10:26 PM
when i had this prob, i just cut my main spring until it didnt semi fire anymore, never had a prob

Smoothice
10-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Using a level 10 on a pump just opens up another world of possible problems. And since it is not necessary it's not worth the added headache.

Take a picture of your wave spring for us. That will make it easier for us to tell you if it is right or not. Sounds like the answer is not though.

From there we can go to the next step which would be to start cutting springs.

Rudz
10-22-2009, 10:35 PM
The gun was set up for a fully working level 10 semi auto before its "pumpification". No springs were changed.

Why is a level 10 a bad idea other than the fact that you don't need it for a pump gun ?

I don't think there was a black bumper at all in there... that could explain a lot...

I'll check it out when I get the gun in my hands.

The lvl x makes it almost impossible to tune without leaking

You should run lvl 7, it makes life a lot easier

You should have a wave spring behind your bolt and a bumper that sits inside the inner diameter of your wave spring, you can cut one of the blue rt ones down to fit

Kraniumkrash
10-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks a bunch guys!
My cousin will be jumping off the walls if I can get the gun to shoot right (it's for him).
I'll go down to his place during the weekend and try your suggestions out.
I will let you all know if it worked out or not!
Thanks again!

Brewtt
10-23-2009, 05:21 PM
My pump mag tips for you:

1. Use L7 bolt.
2. New wave spring.
3. Put your .220 spacer in the power-tube FIRST... then the power tube o-ring, then screw on the L7 power-tube tip. (This is the incorrect way to assemble the power-tube for a normal mag.) This makes more resistance on the re-cock and usually solves the reseting without pumping issue.

Rudz
10-24-2009, 09:47 AM
My pump mag tips for you:

1. Use L7 bolt.
2. New wave spring.
3. Put your .220 spacer in the power-tube FIRST... then the power tube o-ring, then screw on the L7 power-tube tip. (This is the incorrect way to assemble the power-tube for a normal mag.) This makes more resistance on the re-cock and usually solves the reseting without pumping issue.

Hmmmmm, I never tried the spacer first and oring after....

I'm guessing after a lot of headache you were willing to try anything, lol

Smoothice
10-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Whats funny is my pump mag worked flawlessly right out of the box.

I never even had to touch my spacer kit. Springs were just the right tension.

Kraniumkrash
10-26-2009, 11:31 AM
We dropped a bushing in and that fixed the semi shots but now the gun shoots at a crappy velocity... next step is the level 10 (I didn't have the stock bolt/spring with me).

Smoothice
10-26-2009, 12:44 PM
I've never heard the level 10 affecting velocity. Hmm. Unless your carrier is way too tight.

What do you mean you dropped a bushing in?

Rudz
10-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Rail bushing? Or maybe he means the wave spring

BigEvil
10-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Another good tip is to use a very weak main spring. I had a gun come through my hands that would go semi no matter what I did. I ended up cutting the main spring to make it about 1/4" shorter than the bolt. Worked perfect.

Kraniumkrash
10-26-2009, 10:58 PM
By "dropped a bushing in" I meant there was none "inside" the wave spring before I dropped it there... Lame, I know.

Rudz
10-27-2009, 10:36 AM
That's called a "bumper" make sure it sits inside the inner diameter of the wave spring, sometimes you have to cut the bumper to fit, depending on where you got it.

A "bushing" is the piece that goes into the bottom of your rail in the rear to hold the frame/ rail in alignment

Kraniumkrash
10-28-2009, 09:24 AM
And I stand corrected! hehe I'll update this after I have time to tinker with it a little.

Thanks to all again!

pump
10-29-2009, 04:31 AM
my friends PMag had the same problem
it was the rail to frame spacer/bushing/tube that goes around the valve screw

a longer wave spring would of fixed it, but i cant get one longer here