PDA

View Full Version : Scuba Tank

Ebbed
10-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Someone offered to sell me a steel scuba tank it is steel and is 80 cu.ft @ 3000psi. It needs a hydro test. for $75. I have a couple questions from t he experts:

What will i expect this to weigh full? I live on the third floor of an apartment building... is it going to break my back going up and down the stairs?

What should I expect to pay for the hydro?

What fittings will i need? (links if you could )

MANN
10-23-2009, 11:07 PM
check the born date on the tank. Some shops will only fill them for 20 years. Something to do with insurance. One of the shops here will still fill my old one (from 85).

Hydro runs somewhere between 30-50 depending on the store (required every 5 years)
Visual inspection (required every year) usually runs 15-20

You will need a paintball scuba fill station. Used ones run 30ish, and new are 50ish.

I carry mine up my front porch steps, through my house, back down my steps inside my house, and back across my basement. They are not that heavy, and I usually carry 2 at a time (I do the same with my steel 20lb CO2 tanks). It sucks, but is over in 10 min. (I usually have to carry 8 tanks. 6 scubas & 2X20lb co2 tanks)

I would recommend anyone who wants to work on their own markers to get their own scuba/fill station.

Will Wood
10-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Yea, I don't know about the fittings you need, but as a Scuba diver I wouldn't pay $75 for that tank. I buy in hydro and visual for $100, but I could get cheaper if I looked around. But I buy my gear at this shop and get free fills half the time so it's all good.

I used to live on a 3rd floor as well, and would carry the tanks up and down. Throw em up on your shoulder and it's not bad at all.

ZapTheMad
10-24-2009, 02:39 PM
A brand new tank is about $100. If your going to spend $75 for a used tank you might as well buy a new one for $25 more.

edit: $75 is steep for hydro. My shop only charges $35.

MANN
10-25-2009, 03:17 PM
A brand new tank is about $100.
:wow:
I dont think you have purchased a tank in the past 10 years. New tanks now are 160+

punkncat
10-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Yeah, $75 for a tank that needs a hydro is actually good. Look at the tank and make sure it is not over 15(?) years old and in good shape. The hydro test should be about $25 at your local dive shop, or a couple places online if you don't mind eating what will be substancial shipping costs.

The tanks are light, and you should be able to just toss it up over your shoulder and go. People do wear them in flippers on a boat...you should be ok on dry land.... ;)

Frizzle Fry
10-25-2009, 03:37 PM
The tanks are light, and you should be able to just toss it up over your shoulder and go. People do wear them in flippers on a boat...you should be ok on dry land.... ;)

Most tanks weight between about 20lb and 40lb in my experience (then again I mostly use SS and my gear is older).