PDA

View Full Version : Electromagnetic paintball marker

mag_pbg
02-03-2002, 07:27 PM
I think this been discussed before but I think I finally got a plan drawn out. ( I think my image should show up) The marker is based on the Automag body design since it is so easy to work with, the red indicates where the magnet would be, the green is the spring and there should be a spring infront of the bolt also, the back is the bolt purple is the battery, and peach is the chip. How it works is by having a electromagnetic magnet on the back pull and push a bolt that has a magnet in the back of it. The way it does this is by the magnet being turned on and off, and to controll the velocity for example to make it shoot harder the magnet would pull it further back and push the bolt away faster. All the functions would be controlled by the computer chip that is run off of a battery.

Benefits: No air, No hose, No air fill ups. No regulators, Less sound, not have to worrie about puffs of air giving away your position.

Disadvantages: Don't know if it will work, Probably costly, Magnatized.

Load SM5
02-03-2002, 07:44 PM
No air? What pushes the ball?

LaW
02-03-2002, 07:45 PM
This design has the bolt hitting and pushing the ball. If you want to break every single paintball then sure lets design this ;)

X-Plosive
02-03-2002, 07:47 PM
the bolt...can anyone say barrel break? But what about people with braces? What would happen if the gun came to close to their mouth?

Load SM5
02-03-2002, 07:48 PM
The bolt smacks the ball out of the gun, eh? Should be easy on tourney paint.

Butterfingers
02-03-2002, 08:38 PM
Sure, you think the e-mag battary is big... Were gonna need a few megawatts to make this thing work at 300fps. Not to mention every paintball would be vaporized before it left the barrel. And the gun would last 1 shot before it fell part from impact forces.

FYI its not the bolt that makes the paintball go. Its the force of the air pressure trying to equalize with the surrounding environment. The only function of the bolt is to advance and seal the paintball into the chamber.

Electromagnets controlling just the motion of the bolt is a diffrent story.

KamikazePenguin
02-03-2002, 08:40 PM
you'd probably need a spring from a garage door to be strong enough to push the bolt fast enough to get 280FPS outta that batch

LaW
02-03-2002, 08:42 PM
wait sorry i just noticed something that made me laugh...

"puffs of air that give away your position"

sorry mag_pbg ... different idea, just an unworkable concept

Vegeta
02-03-2002, 08:43 PM
For soemthing liek that to EVER work you would need hte paitnball to be metalically-caoted and the barrel to be a good 2 feet long, with LARGE magnets around it, like a particle accelerator. This owuld take a LOT of power. yea right. I dont want a metal paintball hitting me. and i dont wanna tote around a device weighing 500 pounds with several million joules inches from my face. It will never happen.