PDA

View Full Version : Micromag body modding

PrimoRocker
10-27-2009, 08:26 PM
yo, i got this Micromag thats in sorry shape and I want to build it into something nice.
I was wondering, is it possible to put an angel threaded ball detent in the body? I know anything is possible, but has it ever been done before or would it be practical? I was thinking of filling the current detent opening with JB weld and drilling and tapping it.

thanks

secretweaponevan
10-27-2009, 09:11 PM
JB weld won't ano.

I advise sending it to a pro.

Frizzle Fry
10-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Not to be rude, but why wouldn't you want to use the PTP detent? It better than anything else with classic or X-valves, emag lowers or pneumag frames or whatever you please... I was actually dissapointed to find that I'd have to use 'cocker detents on the new Micromag 2k9!

Either way, if you're hellbent on using something other than the PTP detent here are some thoughts:

1)
A wire detent (like on an old CCM cocker, or... a classic automag!) but that's pretty much the same thing as what's on there. Either way, plenty of people who've lost the stock PTP detent have made wire detents and slapped some screws in the holes to wrap the wire around. Very easy to do, great if you don't currently have a PTP detent and want to play.

2)
The next easiest to rig up would be a Timmy detent. I used one in a pinch a few years ago; they fit in the existing hole and just need something to hold them in place. In my case that was duct tape, but whipping up a nice bracket for it that used the existing mounts would be easy as cake.

3)
After that, there's always your idea of drilling out the detent slot and threading for a cocker detent or angel detent. Couple flaws there, for example the width of the slot would make it very hard; you could drill in the middle but that's not where the detent should be and it would not allow balls to feed. I'm too lazy to use MS paint but basically on a PTP Micromag there's this detent hole: ~~ and you would need to do this: 0~ to get proper alignment of the detent which would leave a gap making threading difficult and the marker very hard to keep clean. You'd also have two unfilled threaded holes where the PTP detent should mount.

Again, I'd just order a new detent from PTP or keep the PTP detent you have... If you get the feeling that a lack of cocker detents will be the difference between life and death, sell your body and either get an MM2k9 or a Micromag clone which is detentless and can be drilled and tapped for 3 (yes 3, I have one with 3) cocker-style detents if you so choose. For god's sake, please don't cut up a micromag without posting pics first so we all can tell you whether you should or not!

PrimoRocker
10-28-2009, 05:07 AM
I don't plan on anodizing this body.

This body doesnt have a detent that is fastend in with screws, like some of the other micromags ive seen. Rather, the detent is held in with a pin (It goes vertical and the detent pivots on it). So I would not see an easy way of putting to use a wire detent.

I like threaded detents, such as the angel or cocker style, because they have some degree of adjustability.

Plus, I'd have an original body, albeit hacked by somes opinion, but I enjoy custom fab'd things and using them.

BiNumber3
10-28-2009, 03:46 PM
post up a pic of what you have so we can get a better idea of how bad it is.

I tried quiksteel (nother version of JB) to fix problematic threads, it holds until you fire:)

To fix it, I made a bracket out of acrylic to hold the threaded detent in, bracket is held by a screw behind it, I've had no problems since.

However, since yours is a PTP body, you'll have to cut off the part that holds the detent in. You might be able to go about threading the body if the hole isnt too big, and not need a bracket

Coralis
10-28-2009, 05:12 PM
You might be better served by drilling and tapping the opposite side of the body that way you can just remove the original detent either fill the hole or leave open or make a cover.

Frizzle Fry
10-28-2009, 08:11 PM
You might be better served by drilling and tapping the opposite side of the body that way you can just remove the original detent either fill the hole or leave open or make a cover.

The feedneck would have to be modified so it wouldn't interfere.

Coralis
10-28-2009, 09:49 PM
ack your right, I guess I should looked at my micro before offering advice

Frizzle Fry
10-28-2009, 10:32 PM
ack your right, I guess I should looked at my micro before offering advice

No biggie.

I always forget just how much of the passenger sides of my Micromags is eaten up by that powerfeed when I'm estimating hose lengths.

pump
10-29-2009, 04:24 AM
Not to be rude, but why wouldn't you want to use the PTP detent?
my PTP put spin on my ball, not even good spin

Frizzle Fry
10-29-2009, 05:46 AM
my PTP put spin on my ball, not even good spin

Did you try adjusting it? It's pretty simple to switch out the springs and you can get it to the lightest touch possible (I use a very light spring in one of my stock class microcockerS). I'm not sure how it would put spin on the ball, though, since the bolt moves the paintball completely past it before firing.

pump
10-29-2009, 06:04 AM
it must be spinning as the bolt pushed it forward
i would switch the spring if i had some

i sold my Microbody instead