PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating a Classic Valve and Annodizing an X-valve... Some questions.

Frizzle Fry
10-28-2009, 08:36 PM
I've got a few fairly simple questions.

1) I want to have a Classic Valve powdercoated dust black... Will there be any problems? Who can do this for a reasonable price?

2) Is the silver velocity adjuster nut on the back of an X-valve aluminum? Can it be anodized without any problems? Every non-black anodized X-valve from AGD or done independently I've seen has had a silver nut so I figured I'd ask before I start experimenting with it.

Thanks!

Sumthinwicked
10-28-2009, 08:43 PM
i spray painted my classic it lasts longer than a pc that chips off in big hunk su would have to rough up the valve for the pc to stick well...... get a small pice of stainless and try it out....

maniacmechanic
10-28-2009, 09:28 PM
IIRC the X valve adj nut is stainless steel

Frizzle Fry
10-28-2009, 10:27 PM

Damn! Not the answer I was hoping for.

Frizzle Fry
10-28-2009, 10:30 PM
i spray painted my classic it lasts longer than a pc that chips off in big hunk su would have to rough up the valve for the pc to stick well...... get a small pice of stainless and try it out....

Any idea what would be best for spraying stainless steel? Or what would be best for a dust finish? I've got some SS to play with but not a ton.

MANN
10-29-2009, 06:03 AM
correct

MANN
10-29-2009, 06:05 AM
Any idea what would be best for spraying stainless steel?

Put the rattle can down.

You can finish stainless with black oxide finish. it is a dust like finish. It is what is on impact sockets (although those are not ss). Google it, and you can find people who do it.

Shirow
10-29-2009, 07:08 AM
Check with Ion Coatings

TwilightG
10-29-2009, 08:03 AM
1) I want to have a Classic Valve powdercoated dust black... Will there be any problems? Who can do this for a reasonable price?

I had my MiniMag valve powdercoated by Ion Coatings (formerly VooDoo Coatings) and he did an excellent job!
However... I did have the entire exposed portion of the valve coated. This is risky due to tolerance issues. Normally, you should have the area which makes contact with the rail masked off. Not to say that it shouldn't be done, it's just a gamble whether you could have problems from it.

I know that they now offer other coatings that may work better than powdercoat and is thinner too. Definitely send him a PM. Probably still under the username VooDoo_Coatings. He's also done a lot of other work for MCB forum members.

Also look into the black oxide that Mann mentioned.. I did some research on this too at the time of having my coating done and could not really get any definitive info. But I was looking for a high-gloss finish too so I probably ruled it out from the start.

Good luck and post pics when you're done! :D

Shirow
10-29-2009, 08:15 AM
He did with my gun (not valve) with Cerakote, which is very thin. I've had no tolerance issues with it thus far.

Rudz
10-30-2009, 02:24 PM
He did with my gun (not valve) with Cerakote, which is very thin. I've had no tolerance issues with it thus far.

Pictars!!!!

Sumthinwicked
10-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Any idea what would be best for spraying stainless steel? Or what would be best for a dust finish? I've got some SS to play with but not a ton.
well u have to clean the stainless with alchohol or vinager to remove all oils they make a kyrol stianless matte finish paint .... if its to be permanate rouge it up if not just clean and paint it :rolleyes:

Frizzle Fry
11-01-2009, 06:37 PM
I think for $40 total I'm gonna have VooDoo_Coatings do a satin black cerakote job... They've done classic valves and recieved great reviews both in this thread and elsewhere. Thanks for the input guys!