PDA

View Full Version : Help with upgrades to a basically stock mag

Bigwooly1013
10-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Hello all. I'm new to these paintball forums..

I have an Automag 68 Classic that is basically Stock with the exception of barrels(2 different length smart parts a 12"(not sure what it's made of but it's really light) and a 14" stainless), i have the original trigger frame, a zgrip, and a chrome frame(32 degrees single trigger) with clear dye grips on it.

The tank i had was way out of hydro and i wanted to play so i bought a new alluminium HPA tank from my local field and went to play.

I'm looking for suggestions on what i could do on for about $150 or whatever i can get for my Z-grip (Didn't like the grip on the gun) to improve the air efficiency, cut down on chopped balls, and improve my setup over all.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

xero28
10-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Depending on the condition of the Z-grip, you could probably get around $125-150. But, it's not really a seller's market right now, though someone may need one. As far as efficiency goes, unfortunately there's not much you can do for a Mag to help that. Just make sure you get the "all day air" pass at the field. :D

The first upgrade I would make is get a Level 10 bolt. http://automags.org/resource/level10/index.shtml You can pick them up used here around the forums, but you can get them new from AGD for around $80. Tuned correctly, this will 100% eliminate chops.

If you want to lighten the setup, you can go with a ULE (ultra light engineering) body. It's all aluminum, rather than stainless like your current body. Though the ULE bodies take cocker threaded barrels, so you'd have to pick up one of those. Honestly though, unless you absolutely have to have a vert feed or can't lug around a few more ounces, stick with your current body.

You can always upgrade your valve to an RT or X-valve, though those go for between $120 and $200. Though your classic valve will still be able to keep up just fine as it always has.

Really, other than the Level 10, everything else is just personal preference. Head over to the AutoMag picture thread. http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5895&page=84&pp=30 The link is to the last page of the thread (a lot of the pictures from the first pages aren't there anymore, just work your way backwards). Take a look at some of the setups there and start to get an idea of what you like and don't like.

Welcome to AO. There will always be someone here to help, just be careful, it may get addictive. :cheers:

Bigwooly1013
10-29-2009, 04:54 PM
I like the RT Rail where the air goes into the Rail rather than the vavle. Could i use a RT rail on my classic valve? If so what all would i need?

are there vert asa's for my classic and does a vert asa allow me to use any gas through foregrip?

I've seen people list that they have a ANS Phase II expansion chamber foregrip what purpose does this serve for the gun or is it just another type of gas through foregrip?

Sorry to sound noobish but i've spent my time away from paintball studying nothing but computer stuff so all paintball knowledge seems to have leaked out of my brain.

athomas
10-29-2009, 05:44 PM
I like the RT Rail where the air goes into the Rail rather than the vavle. Could i use a RT rail on my classic valve? If so what all would i need?No. The original Automag RT used a different valve. The rails, valves and bodies of the Automag RT are not compatible with any other mags.

are there vert asa's for my classic and does a vert asa allow me to use any gas through foregrip?Yes and yes you can use any gas through for grip as long as it fits standard ASA threads.

I've seen people list that they have a ANS Phase II expansion chamber foregrip what purpose does this serve for the gun or is it just another type of gas through foregrip?Expansion chambers help provide heat to CO2 and keep it in the gas state when rapid firing. They serve no purpose for HPA and only add additional restrictions in the line.

Bigwooly1013
10-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the info. Does the use of a Vert ASA and a gasthrough foregrip hurt the performance of a marker?

I know that every air conneciton is just one more place for a leak but other than that are there any other pluses or drawbacks?

athomas
10-29-2009, 06:13 PM
No. Gas through grips are pretty big air passages, as are the air lines connecting them. Yes, each connection is a potential leak. However, if you seal them properly, you will never have any issues.

Bigwooly1013
10-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the answers i think i know have an idea of what i want to upgrade/customize on my automag. I'll come back with some pictures when it gets put together.

Tym
10-30-2009, 03:03 AM
First welcome to AO :headbang:

With what you can get for your Z and the $150 you want to spend, you should get an Xvalve..
They go for $180 - 210 depending on condition. With this one upgrade you will get a high flow, fast recharging valve and the level 10 anti chopping system, once tuned (and if you ask nice you can get it tuned by the seller) you'll never chop a ball again.. Even at 27BPS I haven't ever chopped a ball..

Once you have an Xvalve all you need is a high pressure Regulator on your tank, and you can rip out balls like none other.. A $40 max-flo could get you going over 20BPS no problem..

Other than that I would suggest a ULE or another custom milled body, so you can use clamping feednecks detents and cocker threaded barrels..

Just my $0.02

Bigwooly1013
10-30-2009, 03:11 PM
That would be awesome if i had $150 + the grip. All i have is whatever i can get in trade for the grip or what ever i can buy with the money i get from the grip once it sells.