PDA

View Full Version : Spring Question

LegumeOfTerror
11-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Anyone know what kind of metal the bolt spring in the automag is made of?

maniacmechanic
11-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Spring steel ???

LegumeOfTerror
11-02-2009, 05:44 PM
but what type of steel? i need the elastic modulus and yield strength of the metal. also, the name of the supplier would be helpful as well.

athomas
11-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Why would you need that info? Just measure the spring constant. Then measure the length, diameter and size of the metal used in the coil. That'll get you all the info you need.

LegumeOfTerror
11-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Why would you need that info? Just measure the spring constant. Then measure the length, diameter and size of the metal used in the coil. That'll get you all the info you need.

i already measured the spring constant, but i need to do a failure analysis and list some material properties for a Machine Design class so i need the yield strength of whatever material it is.

Ando
11-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Ask Tom or spend the money for testing. :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt anyone here would know that.

athomas
11-03-2009, 06:02 AM
i already measured the spring constant, but i need to do a failure analysis and list some material properties for a Machine Design class so i need the yield strength of whatever material it is.You would probably have to get the manufacturers part number for that, then look to their information. I don't know if AGD would give the part number out.