PDA

View Full Version : EMicro Sear?

OPBN
11-11-2009, 05:59 PM
I have Emag lowers on the way and a Gen 3 MicroMag that I was considering using on them. I started thinking though about the sear. The MM uses the old style sear, doesnt the EMag utilize the RTPro style sear? Do I just use the standard pin with the Emag sear?

MANN
11-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Your sear will work as the new body takes rtp sears. As for pin lenght. No 2 micromags take the same length on/off pin. You need to use trial and error.

OPBN
11-11-2009, 07:33 PM
My Micromag is a Gen3. It takes the non RT Pro style sear pin. What I am asking is, will the standard style sear pin work with the Emag sear? I have never compared the two, are they the same diameter?

Frizzle Fry
11-11-2009, 09:41 PM
My Micromag is a Gen3. It takes the non RT Pro style sear pin. What I am asking is, will the standard style sear pin work with the Emag sear? I have never compared the two, are they the same diameter?

The answer is no. Every micromag but the MM2k9 takes an AM/MM diameter pin, regardless of whether it's threaded or not... Also, Emag sears and RTP sears have a bushing that is wider than the sear slot of any micromag other than the 2k9 so the sear cannot physically fit into the marker.

Your options are to buy a PTP MicroEmag sear or to try and tap the bushing off the emag sear and gimmick it.

Either way, MicroEmags are AMAZING so whatever you do, try not to have too much fun!

OPBN
11-11-2009, 09:54 PM
The answer is no. Every micromag but the MM2k9 takes an AM/MM diameter pin, regardless of whether it's threaded or not... Also, Emag sears and RTP sears have a bushing that is wider than the sear slot of any micromag other than the 2k9 so the sear cannot physically fit into the marker.

Your options are to buy a PTP MicroEmag sear or to try and tap the bushing off the emag sear and gimmick it.

Either way, MicroEmags are AMAZING so whatever you do, try not to have too much fun!

Would it be possible to mill out the slot and tap the body to accept an RT sear pin? I have had Lukes do some other work for me and getting ready to send some other parts his way...

Frizzle Fry
11-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Would it be possible to mill out the slot and tap the body to accept an RT sear pin? I have had Lukes do some other work for me and getting ready to send some other parts his way...

I think it would be possible but I might die a little inside if you did :(

In the long run sear modification (or the purchase of a new sear) would cost less, take less time, require no "finish" work and leave no un-anodized raw aluminum surfaces. It would also preserve the value, collectability, and virginity of a perfectly good micromag that never did anything bad to you and doesn't deserve to be punished :p

OPBN
11-11-2009, 10:48 PM
I think it would be possible but I might die a little inside if you did :(

In the long run sear modification (or the purchase of a new sear) would cost less, take less time, require no "finish" work and leave no un-anodized raw aluminum surfaces. It would also preserve the value, collectability, and virginity of a perfectly good micromag that never did anything bad to you and doesn't deserve to be punished :p

You might cry even more if you knew that I was considering milling off the site rail, angle cutting the bottom rail portion and seeing if I could get someone to mod/mill a slip in vert adapter in place of the factory one. ;)

I did email PTP to see if they still had Emicro sears in stock. Forest said he was pretty sure they still had spacers in stock, so I might have to add to my order.

Now if I could only figure out how to upgrade the detents....

Don't worry, it isn't too virgin of a body.... Of course, maybe I should just consider selling the body and upgrading to a newer model.

Frizzle Fry
11-12-2009, 03:36 AM
You might cry even more if you knew that I was considering milling off the site rail, angle cutting the bottom rail portion and seeing if I could get someone to mod/mill a slip in vert adapter in place of the factory one. ;)

I did email PTP to see if they still had Emicro sears in stock. Forest said he was pretty sure they still had spacers in stock, so I might have to add to my order.

Now if I could only figure out how to upgrade the detents....

Don't worry, it isn't too virgin of a body.... Of course, maybe I should just consider selling the body and upgrading to a newer model.

Well, it's a vert Micromag right? Does it have "Micromag 2000" on the drivers side below the feedneck, or does it have a milled out rectangle for a jewel sticker? What's the ano pattern/scheme? Lastly, what kind of wear does it have and how much of it is still original?

Honestly, you could sell it for anywhere from $100 to $200, and frankly $230 gets you the buyout of a Micromag 2k9 preorder. You'd probably spend a bit on a MicroEmag sear (which the MM2k9 doesn't need) so you're actually spending only a tiny bit out of pocket provided you get a good price for your current body... It wouldn't be hard to swap the preorder for a MicroEmag 2k9 body I don't think.

It's worth looking into.

OPBN
11-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Well, it's a vert Micromag right? Does it have "Micromag 2000" on the drivers side below the feedneck, or does it have a milled out rectangle for a jewel sticker? What's the ano pattern/scheme? Lastly, what kind of wear does it have and how much of it is still original?

Honestly, you could sell it for anywhere from $100 to $200, and frankly $230 gets you the buyout of a Micromag 2k9 preorder. You'd probably spend a bit on a MicroEmag sear (which the MM2k9 doesn't need) so you're actually spending only a tiny bit out of pocket provided you get a good price for your current body... It wouldn't be hard to swap the preorder for a MicroEmag 2k9 body I don't think.

It's worth looking into.

Mine is not a MM2K. Anyways, I spoke with PTP and they do not have the E-micro sear. I am still trying to figure out what the difference is. Maybe once I have the Emag sear in my hands I can compare the difference.

Ruler_Mark
11-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Mine is not a MM2K. Anyways, I spoke with PTP and they do not have the E-micro sear. I am still trying to figure out what the difference is. Maybe once I have the Emag sear in my hands I can compare the difference.

you should be able to knock out the hub and goto ace/similar hardware store and get a brass insert to make it functional.

You will also have to grind down your rt on/off pin

OPBN
11-12-2009, 09:24 AM
you should be able to knock out the hub and goto ace/similar hardware store and get a brass insert to make it functional.

You will also have to grind down your rt on/off pin Hmm. Wasn't aware of this.. I have an Emag valve that is already in the Micro. Seems to work fine. Honestly, it's starting to sound like more of a PIA than I thought it would be.

Ruler_Mark
11-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Hmm. Wasn't aware of this.. I have an Emag valve that is already in the Micro. Seems to work fine. Honestly, it's starting to sound like more of a PIA than I thought it would be.

If its working off of the stock emag pin in E mode then you are very lucky.

OPBN
11-12-2009, 09:44 AM
I meant I already have the Emag valve in the MM as a mech. I haven't gotten the Emag lowers yet. I bought the valve several months ago and ended up putting it in the MicroMag.

If I end up ditching the Micromag aspect of this and just use the Emag rail and a ULE body with the Emag valve, will I still have to modify the pin? Or will I just have to do this if I plan on using it in the Micro body?

athomas
11-12-2009, 04:30 PM
The micro emags use a 0.685" pin length. Standard emags use a 0.712" pin. The 0.712" pin might work in a micro emag, but it may not allow the on-off to fully open enough to guarantee the valve to recharge at its full potential.

You can modify a regular emag sear to work in a micromag. That is essentially what PTP does anyway. Shave the sides of the bushing flat so that it is the same thickness as the sear. Drill the sear pin hole out to the proper size to fit the classic sear pin. Voila, good to go.

OPBN
11-12-2009, 04:39 PM
The micro emags use a 0.685" pin length. Standard emags use a 0.712" pin. The 0.712" pin might work in a micro emag, but it may not allow the on-off to fully open enough to guarantee the valve to recharge at its full potential.

You can modify a regular emag sear to work in a micromag. That is essentially what PTP does anyway. Shave the sides of the bushing flat so that it is the same thickness as the sear. Drill the sear pin hole out to the proper size to fit the classic sear pin. Voila, good to go.

Ok, I have an Emag valve, but have no clue what the on/off pin length is. Is seems to work ok currently in the MM body as a mech. From what I have read, this seems like it may mean that it has the .750 pin length instead of the .712. I guess I will be going to Radio Shack tonight to get a set of digital calipers.

Thanks for the info on the sear mod. I still haven't gotten the lowers in the mail yet. grr. But think I get what you are saying now. I compared an RT sear pin with a standard one and see that it is thinner. And I get what you are saying about grinding the sides flat. I may try to pick up a spare Emag sear in case I want to go back.