PDA

View Full Version : Painting a barrel

Stayhuge
11-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Hi everyone,

Not sure what to do. I am getting a barrel tip, ,polished, and I want it to be black. I was going to paint it rather than send it to anno for one piece. Problem is that air porting. Has anyone here painted a barrel? If so, what did you do about the airports? I am going to use Rustoleom. I used it on an asa and it was awesome. Very durable finish. Thanks for the help!! :cheers:

xero28
11-12-2009, 12:38 PM
You could probably just pack the barrel with paper towels or something, I'd assume that would work fine.

Speaking of painting, have you (or anyone) used appliance epoxy before? It pretty much only comes in white, tan and black. I've put it on a couple of rails and grips and it seems to be really good. It requires some patience as it takes over a week to properly set and dry, then even longer to fully cure. But one of the rails I've put it on, it seems like it's got a very hard ano on it, doesn't scratch with a fingernail. You also have to be careful as it can clump and run and look funky.

Do you have to reapply the rustoleum often?

OPBN
11-12-2009, 12:53 PM
I tried the appliance epoxy on a SS body awhile back and it never set up right. Maybe I never let it cure long enough.

Stayhuge
11-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Not sure about the Rustoleom yet. I painted my iron staircase at home with it, and the steps seem to be holding up real well for the last 11 months or so. No chipping and that is with us walkingon them. I think that the stuff should hold up real well. I will try that stuffing idea. I think that should work.

Haven't used epoxy yet, but may try it after hearing what you had to say. Thanks everyone!!! :cheers:

xero28
11-12-2009, 01:52 PM
I tried the appliance epoxy on a SS body awhile back and it never set up right. Maybe I never let it cure long enough.

Yeah, you really just have to let it sit for quite a while or it could smear or get scratched really easily until it sets, so just make sure you do it on a piece you won't have to use for a while.

Dend78
11-12-2009, 02:32 PM
yeah regular ol paint works fine it flakes and scratches after a while but oh well, one thing to think about if its a polished surface its not going to hold the paint super great some scuffing would help the paint stick a lil better. as for the porting paper towl wadded and twisted down the barrel does fine.

Stayhuge
11-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Is it better to use a wet paper towel or dry one? You mentioned wad. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks
:cheers:

AnthonyDStone
11-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Dry,Wet Would be hard to work with.(I too have done this)

Tony

Shirow
11-12-2009, 03:12 PM
I know you're looking to do this yourself but as another suggestion, I sent my barrels to Ion Coatings to be done and it was very cheap to have them coated with Cerakote. It only adds a very thin layer but it's pretty durable and looks decent. I did a matte finish and it's held up well over time.

I don't know what he charges now but I don't recall paying more than $5-10 a piece for all the parts I sent in.

Sumthinwicked
11-12-2009, 04:27 PM
vasaline is messy but works u could toothpick the holes LOL it should work ihave painted my longbow 18 in freak that way worked fine or do both vasaline and toothpick it after dry....

TOTShadowCompany
11-12-2009, 05:15 PM
I painted a barrel...

First you need to use sandpaper to scuff the surface up. Then put on a plain pair of latex gloves to keep your oils off the surface and clean it with plain ole rubbing alcohol. Let it dry and use a good primer coat. Let it dry for 24 hours. Then apply another coat of primer. Wait another 24 hours. Then apply your choice of color. This process has worked well for me with great results. Hope this info helps out...

Edit...Oops almost forgot...I use cotton balls inside the barrels to protect the porting from overspray