PDA

View Full Version : Which LPR to use on my Pneumag?

Frizzle Fry
11-16-2009, 03:03 PM
I've got a few LPRs available to me at a significant discount. I'm wondering, which have people used successfully on pneumags? Which do you all think would be best for use on a cheater-systemed pneumag with an X-valve? I've already got a mounting point and it's not a sleeper.

My options are (new, in red):

$20 - ANS Jackhammer 2

$45 - Oracle Tickler

$65 - PPS Rock

SSP REAPER
11-16-2009, 03:09 PM
go with the orracle tickler. I have used everything and find they are the easiest to use and adjust. Plus they are small and can be hidden :D

Smoothice
11-16-2009, 03:23 PM
what kind of pressure does the cheater need to work properly?

The ticklers apparently don't work great at very low operating pressures. Something to think about.

xero28
11-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Zap says that the cheater should be able to actuate the sear with around 10 PSI from the LPR. He suggests going with a Micro-Rock. I've got an Outkast LPR on my cheater, and it seems to work okay. Though I also have a Micro-Rock which I just need to get a new part for to get it 100% again, then I'll be putting that on instead. Check over in MCarterbrown.com and customcockers.com (or even here), I've seen a few micro-rocks for sale, one I think was less than $30.

Frizzle Fry
11-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Zap says that the cheater should be able to actuate the sear with around 10 PSI from the LPR. He suggests going with a Micro-Rock. I've got an Outkast LPR on my cheater, and it seems to work okay. Though I also have a Micro-Rock which I just need to get a new part for to get it 100% again, then I'll be putting that on instead. Check over in MCarterbrown.com and customcockers.com (or even here), I've seen a few micro-rocks for sale, one I think was less than $30.

One thing I'd need if I went with the Microrock is for it to be red. I'm old and stubborn enough to get what I want on my marker even if it means waiting :p PPS would have been my first choice if there was a Microrock available in red.

So mixed reviews on the tickler, huh?

Stayhuge
11-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Here you go: Palmers Rock for $35 brand new (http://cgi.ebay.com/Palmers-Lite-Rock-LPR-Black_W0QQitemZ250530787266QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item3a54cc6fc2)

I ordered one. They will function the best, and since your talking about a pretty quick recharge rate, this might be one of the best you can go with. :cheers:

leloup
11-16-2009, 03:52 PM
what makes it a cheater? On my pnuemag, I use a tickler, and on my egomag, I will be using an outcast.

Frizzle Fry
11-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Here you go: Palmers Rock for $35 brand new (http://cgi.ebay.com/Palmers-Lite-Rock-LPR-Black_W0QQitemZ250530787266QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item3a54cc6fc2)

I ordered one. They will function the best, and since your talking about a pretty quick recharge rate, this might be one of the best you can go with. :cheers:

Good man! Hmmmm... I guess I could do that, and maybe a red knob for it? Is there such a beast?

xero28
11-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Good man! Hmmmm... I guess I could do that, and maybe a red knob for it? Is there such a beast?

Remember, that is the full size rock (about twice as long as the Micro). And I know that I have seen different colored rock knobs around. Shocktech and I think Dye made some, I'm sure Palmer's will have one or two around as well.

Frizzle Fry
11-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Remember, that is the full size rock (about twice as long as the Micro). And I know that I have seen different colored rock knobs around. Shocktech and I think Dye made some, I'm sure Palmer's will have one or two around as well.

The rock lite is a fullsize? OK.

Length is no biggie. I'm not trying to hide it, and it'll run along the bottom of the barrel.

*edit: Looks like a Lite Rock in gloss red with a black knob is $82.25 from PPS direct. This is a toughie, price or nice?

gremlin75
11-16-2009, 04:28 PM
what makes it a cheater? .

Cheater is juat the name Zap gave his pnuemag coversion. It's an all in one dohicky that is made to mount in the intelliframe with no modifacation. Check out the dealer forum for more info.

It seems like the rock/microrock is the best option(or atleast the option u trust the beat :P) for the cheater. If you did want to look into the tickler then check out paintball-online. They have new ones for $15, not sure of they have any red ones though.

xero28
11-16-2009, 04:46 PM
The rock lite is a fullsize? OK.

Length is no biggie. I'm not trying to hide it, and it'll run along the bottom of the barrel.

*edit: Looks like a Lite Rock in gloss red with a black knob is $82.25 from PPS direct. This is a toughie, price or nice?

Man, that is pretty pricy, though they are some of, if not the best regulators around. FYI, the "lite" connotation isn't correct (as far as I know). There are two kinds of Rocks, full size (the original, a bit larger, and the one on the e-bay sale), and Micro (about 1/2 as long).

Stayhuge
11-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Yes,, they mislabeled it. It is a full size rock. $35 is a steal for these. People would spend $35 for a Tickler New. This is way better as an LPR. Most people don't like them because they are larger, but definitely one of, if not the most consistent LPR's on the market, and will operate very consistently at 10 psi, which is where the Tickler might not be able to. Remember that you are putting 800psi into a tiny LPR and hoping that it can drop the pressure to 10 psi. The Ticklers were made with the intention of having an input of 300 or so cause they were made for Cockers. If you check the Palmers website, they say that input is rated up to 1500 psi, I believe. That definitely brings me comfort.

Also, The quality is far greater than any other LPR =I have seen. It is built identical to the Palmers Stabilizer. I unscrewed the top, and the spring came out, I swore it was the same as that Stab I used to have. It depends on what you are looking for, but if you are looking to spend about $25 or so, which is what most of these LPR's will run (Used probably), you might as well spring $10 more and go for the Rock.

Just my 2 cents

Stayhuge
11-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Remember, that is the full size rock (about twice as long as the Micro).

No it's not. The Micro Rock is 2.3 inches, and the Rock is 3.4 inches. Also, I made a mistake the Rock is rated up to 1000psi

Stayhuge
11-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Sorry guys, I need to readbetter. I saw the price folr the colored rock. That was what sprung the long rant up there. My bad.

xero28
11-16-2009, 05:17 PM
No it's not. The Micro Rock is 2.3 inches, and the Rock is 3.4 inches. Also, I made a mistake the Rock is rated up to 1000psi

Sorry, 1.5 times longer. :p Yeah though, the rock is amazingly consistent, especially at those lower pressures.

Spider-TW
11-16-2009, 06:02 PM
I had another thought on these the other day. Maybe BE or Flyingpootang will say otherwise. It all goes back to my struggle for over a year to get consistent low pressure operation out of a tickler, which I finally fixed with a micro rock.

One thing that is commonly accepted for pneumags is keeping a gap between the piston and the sear. I completely believe it needs to be at least as large as the normal trigger rod gap on the back of the trigger. However, it seems common among the tickler users to keep the gap at about 1/8". Rather than getting a run at the sear, I'm thinking that the extra gap requires extra air from the LPR, forcing it to open up, which seemed to be my problem with a small gap.

At least the rocks have larger bores and are quicker to open up, that is for sure.

Stayhuge
11-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Sorry, 1.5 times longer. :p Yeah though, the rock is amazingly consistent, especially at those lower pressures.

haha :cheers: I was rushing to answer, then once I typed the numbers in and hit post, I realized how little you were off. For some reason, the Rock doesn't appear to be that long, but then again, I have it under the barrel, which is just dead space.

Honestly, I Held it up tto the Chimera frame, and with the cheater, You might be able to actually fit it inside. You would need to grind out the Inteliswitch mount, but it just may fit.

Frizzle Fry
11-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Well, I think I'm gonna shell out the $80 and snag myself a new Light Rock in gloss red with a black adjuster. I'm running it under the barrel and it'll look damn good, and I've never doubted PPS parts so as long as it's worked for others it'll work for me.

Thanks guys (especially StayHuge)!

Stayhuge
11-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Any time!!! Good Luck!! :cheers:

Frizzle Fry
11-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Any time!!! Good Luck!! :cheers:

Don't you mean good luck to anybody else who wanted to win MOTM in January :rolleyes: :p :cool: :D

Stayhuge
11-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Don't you mean good luck to anybody else who wanted to win MOTM in January :rolleyes: :p :cool: :D

We'll see, I have something brewing. Not too special, but might be a competitor!! :ninja:

BTW, you can get the red Rock for $45 shipped here: Red Rock (http://cgi.ebay.com/Palmers-ROCK-REGULATOR-AUTOCOCKER-3-COLORS-NEW_W0QQitemZ150370935224QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item2302ce61b8)

Half the price of $80. :cheers:

Frizzle Fry
11-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Half the price of $80. :cheers:

...are you married? :p

Stayhuge
11-17-2009, 12:38 PM
...are you married? :p

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: