PDA

View Full Version : Car Charger Adapter for E-Mag

OPBN
11-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Got my E-mag lowers in yesterday and it came with a car charger. Rather than plugging it into my cigarette lighter in my car, I used the adapter that came with my daughers Nintendo DS. The adapter plugs into the wall and termnates in what I assume is a 12volt outlet suitable for use with the charger that came with the lowers. Yesterday, it seemed to charge fine. Got it working and all, but apparently, I left the pin out, or is slipped out and the battery went dead overnight. I plugged the adapter back in and let it go for an hour or so. My wife said she noticed a hot smell, which also happened yesterday and after checking realized the wall charger was getting REALLY hot. So much so that is seems to have started melting the casing a bit. I also noticed that the battery pack was stone cold. I did pop the pack back onto the marker and it did have a charge, I have no idea how much.

Is it possible that the wall to cigarette lighter adapter didn't have a high enough amperage or something? I called The Shack and they have one, but it's $40. The salesperson said it is rate for only 2amps maximum...

Any help would be appreciated.

Ando
11-17-2009, 02:15 PM
You can buy universal plug adapters that have a slew of connectors and you can adj the voltage. I'll try to look one up for you

EDIT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Laptop-Universal-96W-AC-Power-adapter-with-Dell-Plug_W0QQitemZ320417198941QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLapto p_Adapters_Chargers?hash=item4a9a5a735d

I'm using one similar to it..

OPBN
11-17-2009, 02:31 PM
You can buy universal plug adapters that have a slew of connectors and you can adj the voltage. I'll try to look one up for you

EDIT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Laptop-Universal-96W-AC-Power-adapter-with-Dell-Plug_W0QQitemZ320417198941QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLapto p_Adapters_Chargers?hash=item4a9a5a735d

I'm using one similar to it..
So, I would get this and plug it into the part that fits onto the battery pack? What voltage would I use? It doesnt seem to have a 12v output...

Ando
11-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Not that one per say but one like it. You might want to ck around the house of a plug. I been using my "My Book" Western Digital plug power cord for a year or so before I got the universal plug
http://designcrack.com/v2/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/my-book-by-western-digital.jpg

OPBN
11-17-2009, 02:45 PM
But dont you have to control the voltage/amperage into the adapter? If it is meant to charge off of a 12V AC supply, don't you need something to convert it from DC? I am sure among all of the odds and ends converters around here, I have something that will fit the plug, but doesn't it have to be the same voltage? Last thing I want to do is damage the Mag charger or the batteries.

Ando
11-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Any typical AC to DC CLASS 2 transformer plug will work. Just look at the info on the plug jacket and it will tell you what it puts out.

I think (don't quote me on this) the proper plug size is:
11.5mm( Length ), 5.5mm( Outer Diameter ), and between a 2.1mm - 2.5mm( Inner Diameter )

OPBN
11-17-2009, 04:32 PM
I ended up going to Radio Shack and they came up with a wall adapter and connector that plugs into the AGD charger. It was about $26.00. Probably could have gotten it for less on Ebay or something, but the guy voltmetered the chargers, cords, batteries etc and made sure it was the correct one. I have the part numbers if anyone else needs them.

Thanks for the input/help Ando.