PDA

View Full Version : Poupularity

sangreti
11-29-2009, 12:31 AM
Z grip frame. Why don't I see any

AutomagSniper
11-29-2009, 12:59 AM
Look at the angle on that thing! It just doesn't look comfortable. Which I'm guessing made it hard to sell which would be why you don't see many. I've heard they're actually comfortable but by looking at it you would never guess...

Maghog
11-29-2009, 02:34 AM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245359&highlight=Z-grip+contest

They're still out there.
Dan@Triggernomics

SkinnyHare
11-29-2009, 03:25 AM
i have to agree... because it was so unconventional that might be why it never caught on.

the Z-grip is definitely the most comfortable trigger frame i've ever used, though. i play with my marker close in and eventually it kills my wrist with any other kind of frame. the way the Z-grip positions your hand and wrist it keeps the joints in a naturally straight position. it removes all the stress from a bent wrist and seems to balance the weight of the gun better as well.

I think it was just so different that no one really wanted to give it a try.

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/4453/crw3724.jpg

wetwrks
11-29-2009, 04:09 AM
I loved mine...sold it and got a Y grip. Not as nice. Will be headed back to the Z. :D

maniacmechanic
11-29-2009, 07:25 AM
I allways thought they looked uncomfortable so I never bothered with one , I ended up gettin one off the bay , & damn , it is comfy , here is how its set up now , & I have another in the works

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m156/maniacmechanic59/markers/warpedZ001.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m156/maniacmechanic59/markers/warpedZ002.jpg

punkncat
11-29-2009, 09:25 AM
I like how comfortable it is, but not having taken a whole lot of time to get used to it, I just can't aim the darn things.

Frizzle Fry
11-30-2009, 02:13 AM
Why don't I see any

There aren't that many out there... I mean, they were a limited run of a strange looking product that didn't have much of a market. Then Tom went back to the drawing board, took the Intelliframe and turned it on it's head, and the Y-frame came out (to be met with applause).

ManInBlack
12-04-2009, 11:25 AM
There aren't that many out there...

400 were manufactured last I checked. Don't know how many still exist.

Jaron
12-04-2009, 11:48 AM
I've wanted to try a Z and Y for a while now. Problem is there's no good way to try it out before you get one. Automags are rare enough around me ( I'm one of four players I know in the area that has one. ) So finding a Z or Y that I can actually hold and feel won't happen.

Quick side question: do the Z and Y have any compatibility restrictions on rails, bodies, valves, on/offs, etc?

Wrathbringer
12-04-2009, 12:06 PM
The only system that the Z and Y aren't readily compatible with is the RT Classic because of the banjo bolt. They will work with everything else, excluding the occasion foregrip with the Z.

Jaron
12-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Really? No new sears or triggers required? Hmm, makes me think . . .

Has anyone tried to be really crafty and swap the E-Mag electronics into a Y-grip? I suppose it could possibly work since it's just a mirrored 45 grip.

xero28
12-04-2009, 12:21 PM
The only system that the Z and Y aren't readily compatible with is the RT Classic because of the banjo bolt. They will work with everything else, excluding the occasion foregrip with the Z.

:nono:

A picture says a thousand words...

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/4453/crw3724.jpg

EDIT: And if you check the AGD website it says to call them to get a Y-frame that fits the Classic RT.

And Jaron, I'm not sure if it E-mag electronics would fit the Y-frame because of the geometry of the sear/plunger in the E-mag. Though I've never seen an open E-mag frame up close and personal, so I might be wrong.

Ando
12-04-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure about the Y grip but I have a factory RT Classic Z. I purchased a bushing that PTP uses for their frames to fill the void. Now I can use it on any rail.

You really don't need the bushing tho. I was using my Z for over a year on numerous rails without one and never had a problem.

Jaron
12-04-2009, 12:34 PM
And Jaron, I'm not sure if it E-mag electronics would fit the Y-frame because of the geometry of the sear/plunger in the E-mag. Though I've never seen an open E-mag frame up close and personal, so I might be wrong.
I was thinking of just reversing everything inside so the board LED display would be on the left side and the board itself would still fit the angle of the grip. The plunger would pull down and slightly away from the sear axle instead of slightly toward it. With the hinges on the sear, I think it would still work. But I think my E-Mag grip is also a little longer than the standard Intelliframe, and if so the board would be too long to fit in a Y-grip. So unless someone wanted to custom machine an E-Mag Y-grip . . .

Wrathbringer
12-04-2009, 12:46 PM
:nono:

A picture says a thousand words...

EDIT: And if you check the AGD website it says to call them to get a Y-frame that fits the Classic RT.

I could have sworn that all Z-Grips and Y-Grips had to be drilled to accommodate the banjo bolt, ah well I guess you learn something new every day!

shives007
12-04-2009, 01:34 PM
When they were new, I stopped at the AGD table and picked one up. Just watching me lift the gun, the guy behind the table told me I shouldn't get one. Seconds later, someone else picked the same gun up. The tech said that he should get one. I think it was such a unique design, that people wwere afraid to get one "just to try it". Those that were able to lay hands on one, and found it comfortable are in love with them. It was a case of "you had to be there." Just not something you would buy from looking at a picture.

Shives

Rudz
12-04-2009, 05:03 PM
The z triggers are different from the regular agd triggers, I LOVE my z frame, very comfy, and if you do a search someone put hyperframe internals into a z frame, and several have put pnuematics into the frames, mine came with a full eclipse splash kit, just picked up a maghog triggernomics trigger and I'm in love

Ando
12-04-2009, 05:18 PM
just picked up a maghog triggernomics trigger and I'm in love

Lies!!!

No pics :p

SkinnyHare
12-04-2009, 07:19 PM

haha, you should have bet some money on that one... i'm broke and could use a couple extra bucks so i can have Luke's make me a couple more custom drops.

The Z grip had two variations that i'm aware of... the classic RT one with a flat top and larger hole for the banjo bolt, and then there was the one for the AM/MM style body rails that had wings and a smaller hole for field strip screws. I've got one of each, but the AM/MM compatible one just sits in my parts box for now.

the Y grip, i don't know. i've never owned one. as far as i know it's a flat top frame with the small hole only. the ones from AGD specifically for a classic RT are probably just the normal ones that get the hole milled out to accommodate a banjo bolt upon request.