PDA

View Full Version : Using a pneumatic mag in competitive speedball

Shirow
11-29-2009, 06:22 PM
I know it'd be a disadvantage but do you think it's pointless?

I haven't played competitive paintball in 5 years or more. My old team used to consist of me on a mech mag, a cocker and something else.. I don't even remember what the other player had. We were already beginning to have some issues but it wasn't impossible.

To be specific, when I say competitive, we played tournaments but nothing major, mostly (semi) local stuff.

Now with people legally able to ramp, is it even feasible to use a mag anymore? I have a cheater on the way and I've seen videos of people walking it to pretty good speeds.

What do you guys think? I know, it's the person, not the gun and all that jazz but being able to dump paint is a big part of it as well :)

Also, from what I've read of the PSP rules, a fully mechanical gun (even if it's pneumatic) is legal as long as it is one shot, one pull. Is this true?

punkncat
11-29-2009, 07:19 PM
The problem that you will run into in most series is that you cannot cap the marker to the BPS rate.

While I was playing in the CFOA, Larry Motes is a huge Mag fan, and as long as I demonstated an ability to stay under the ROF cap, was willing to take the penalty if I went over, he was cool with me using my RT mag, I just had to ask first.

Shirow
11-29-2009, 07:30 PM
The problem that you will run into in most series is that you cannot cap the marker to the BPS rate.

While I was playing in the CFOA, Larry Motes is a huge Mag fan, and as long as I demonstated an ability to stay under the ROF cap, was willing to take the penalty if I went over, he was cool with me using my RT mag, I just had to ask first.

My understanding of PSP rules is that the BPS cap only applied to electronic markers. The section on mechanical seems to only states that they must fire one ball per pull. Is this not true?

punkncat
11-29-2009, 07:56 PM
My understanding of PSP rules is that the BPS cap only applied to electronic markers. The section on mechanical seems to only states that they must fire one ball per pull. Is this not true?

I have to be honest, that I have not dug so deeply into the inerpretation of the rule. The CFOA (Larry Specifically) allowed me to play with the RT in his series. The GFOA does not allow RT markers, even though they play with "adapted" PSP rules.
I would just go ask the promoter of the event you are planning on playing in.

Shirow
11-29-2009, 07:58 PM
I have to be honest, that I have not dug so deeply into the inerpretation of the rule. The CFOA (Larry Specifically) allowed me to play with the RT in his series. The GFOA does not allow RT markers, even though they play with "adapted" PSP rules.
I would just go ask the promoter of the event you are planning on playing in.

That sucks. This is what PSP says specifically, for reference:

8.3.6. A marker with any electronic components56
8.3.6.1. May fire no more than one paintball within 95 milliseconds (10.5 bps), except in
RaceTo-7 matches, where a marker may fire no more than one paintball within 80
milliseconds (12.5 bps)
8.3.6.1.1. A player on the field of play whose marker fires two shots within 15
milliseconds less than the minimum shot interval will be assessed a minor
suspension.
8.3.6.1.2. A player on the field of play whose marker fires two shots within 10
milliseconds less than the minimum shot interval will be assessed a gross penalty.
Goggle manufacturers must submit independent laboratory test results to the promoter at least 10 days prior to the start of a
tournament demonstrating that the goggle system meets or exceeds ASTM standards for any system such manufacturer wishes to
be allowed for use during that tournament.
Cracks in the lens, however slight, affect the ability of the goggles to protect the player.
A player may not ever remove their goggles once they enter the field of play. Note that if an active player removes their goggles
intentionally, they are automatically eliminated and a teammate must be eliminated to satisfy the minor penalty. Because an
elimination is NOT a penalty, the player eliminating themselves does not count as a penalty being assessed.
Ex. Goggle Fans, but decorative additions that are not padded or absorbent are acceptable.
Hits on padding are obvious. Players should not wear so much padding that they cannot feel hits.
They may operate if and only if the trigger is pulled, and may not fire if it is hit, dropped, or sneezed on.
Batteries, circuit boards, chips, wires, etc.
8.3.6.1.3. A player on the field of play whose marker fires two shots within 5
milliseconds less than the minimum shot interval will be assessed a major penalty.
8.3.6.1.4. A player on the field of play whose marker fires two shots within the minimum
shot interval 57 will be assessed a minor penalty.
8.3.6.2. May fire no more than three shots per press and release of the trigger, and no more
than three shots between presses of the trigger.58 A player who carries a marker onto
the field of play that fires more than three shots per press and release of the trigger, or
more than three shots between two presses of the trigger, will receive a gross penalty
and a minor suspension.
8.3.6.3. May fire no more than one shot per press and release of the trigger unless
The trigger has been pressed and released four times,59 and
8.3.6.3.2. The trigger has been pressed and released at least once per second since the
first of the four trigger pulls.
8.3.6.4. Any person who carries a marker onto the field of play that will fire more than one
shot per press and release of the trigger before the trigger has been pressed and
released at least four times after not having been fired for at least one second will
receive a gross penalty and a minor suspension.

8.3.7. A marker with no electronic components
8.3.7.1. May not fire more than one shot per press and release of the trigger,60 and
8.3.7.2. May only fire a shot when the trigger is pressed, and
8.3.7.3. May not increase or decrease the force required to pull or hold the trigger to or at
any position without the use of tools.61

Bold added by me.

XM15
11-29-2009, 07:59 PM
My teammates and I play all the time with our mechanical mags in local tourny's. Some have allowed ramping some have been semi only. We haven't found it to be a problem playing against the electros. Its really fun to see the kids get ticked off loosing to the old guys with the old inferior guns or so they think.

smeek
11-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Usually they don't have a problem with mech guns in tournaments with a mag it's a little different but with pneumags you shouldn't have a real problem since the trigger doesn't bounce back with much RT effect. I've used a mech cocker in ramping tournaments before and the refs never said anything other than comments on the gun not the legality of it. I'm planning on using my pneumag on whatever field I'm playing on should be fun on the airball field, but I also use my emag and RT ULE for rec play of all types already.

Most refs opinion is even if you can shoot over the bps cap of the ramping guns you're still at a disadvantage because it's much harder/takes more concentration to reach and maintain that fire rate. Plus they usually like seeing old guns own the doubters. At least that's been my experience. Ultimately it's up to the field owner, head ref and tourney promoter/s.

athomas
11-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Most of the mech full auto rules are there to prevent the use of response triggers and fully reactive triggers. The retro mag has gotten lumped into the category just because people don't understand how they operate and quite often think that they are a full auto capable gun. They can be made that way, but lots of guns can be if they are modified.

Sumthinwicked
11-30-2009, 06:59 PM
i play in epl eastern paintball league talked to the head guy of the league and the owners of the fields and they like the mag with an air valve but questioned the rt so i used a screwin bottle and never had an issue . i run micromags and keep a screw in preset tank like 800 or 750 and try to rt with it it will never happen.... you give the gun to the headref let him try they will let u use it probably they let me use mine as long as i couldnt rt it ...LOL with a 10.5 ball cap i was called a CHEATER btw the aggs with my 100 round grav hopper a micro with single trig benchy and a micromag air valve... when the ref looked at me fanning he was impressed and looked closer i could get above the cap mechanical and laughed at them saying want him to slow down?????? ahahahah classic ref would look at me id knock on the wood grips and say no batteries and he smiled and said ohh ur that mag guy and walked away ahahahah i love AGD and ptp