PDA

View Full Version : paintball slang

El Camino
12-02-2009, 11:12 AM
I've only been on here for a short time now, and I've been trying to catch up as fast as I can, but some things just take time and experience to understand! My question is, is there a link to a thread that gives definitions for paintball slang, like: cuffing, shot down, short stroking, etc, etc. If not, maybe of some you can pass on some of your knowledge to me and others. THX

xero28
12-02-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure about any threads that define those terms, but I can do my best here for those you have asked.

cuffing (I say chuffing) - The sound the gun makes when you short stroke. Instead of a "pop", the gun kind of coughs and doesn't shoot the ball completely. This is the sound Mags make when the Level 10 engages and pinches a ball.

short stroking - this happens mainly with autocockers, but also happens with mags. Basically you could consider pulling the trigger back all the way a "stroke". When you short stroke, you are not pulling the trigger back all of the way and this can cause issues with the gun resetting correctly. This usually happens when you are shooting fast and one of the trigger pulls is shorted and the sear doesn't hit the on/off pin/release the bolt correctly and it only releases a small burst of air rather than a full shot, thus resulting in chuffing.

Shoot down - Essentially this is when your gun is shooting at 280 fps, then it starts to shoot a lot slower than that. This usually happens when either your tank is getting too low and there isn't enough pressure going to the gun, or you are shooting faster than the valve and/or HP regulator can supply pressure. Since classic valved mags can easily do 15 bps and Retro/X-valved mags can do well over 30, you probably won't be able to pull the trigger faster than they can recharge. You will also get shoot down if there is a problem with the valve (dirty internals, not oiled, broken o-ring, etc)

Hope that helps. :cheers:

punkncat
12-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Very thorough explaination. Good job.

Hook
12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
A few other slang terms you may hear on the field:

Shooting hot: shooting a marker that is set higher than the field limit fps (usually 280 or 300 fps)

Wiping: a player getting hit that cheats by wiping off the paint on his clothes and/or equipment

Bonus balling: shooting several shots on a player that has already been eliminated and has either called himself out or was called out by the ref

"Spray and pray": shooting technique (or lack thereof) where a player will shoot a great amount of paint in the general direction of the opposing team in hopes of hitting someone

CatoRockwell
12-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Agglet: someone who jumps from trend to trend in paintball always buying into hype. Sincerely believes that having the newest and most popular equipment makes the best player. Gives everything either a 10/10 or 1/10 rating for every piece of equipment he's owned for less than month because it's either the greatest thing ever made or it's garbage because he didn't know how to use it. Its the guy who goes on the field assuming he's going to kick the crap out of you because your using an old mag (what's that?) then when he gets his but handed to him he throws his $1800 ego on the ground and starts calling everyone who gets the best of him a cheater.

Jaron
12-02-2009, 03:15 PM
You forgot that they regularly try to sell "rare" worn-out headbands for hundreds of dollars too! ;)

El Camino
12-02-2009, 07:04 PM
sweet spot????

SSP REAPER
12-02-2009, 07:14 PM
sweet spot????
when you find just the right spot on your trigger to apply minimal amount of pressure for great RT effect :p:wow:

Jaron
12-02-2009, 07:19 PM
RT = Response/Reactive Trigger. Most Automag triggers get pushed forward when the valve refills after a shot. If the input pressure is high enough, it can literally bounce off your finger and fire again. Many players take advantage of this to just hold their finger still in the "sweet spot" to bounce the trigger and fire much faster than they could otherwise.

Beemer
12-02-2009, 07:53 PM
^^^^Exactly

Sweet spotting = RT BOUNCE = not what you really need to do. You do not NEED high input pressure to shoot the Mag Fast. Unless you can REALLY pull one shot one pull 20 plus per second. If you can pull 26SPS you will need more then 850psi in. but that is not likely to happen. AGD does not promote support or condone bounce or sweetspotting fireing.

Short strocking or CHUFFING is as been said. The whole system doesnt do a FULL cycle.

Oddux
12-03-2009, 05:04 AM
Note, if the discussion is about Tippmanns, it is a Response trigger. If its about automags, its a reactive trigger. Their method of operation however is somewhat different, but their use is similar enough.

If you need definitions on field talk that's something else. I can't understand half the crap aggletts say and I've been playing since 92.