PDA

View Full Version : does anyone own or have any input on a gx3 cocker?

speedballbanks
02-04-2002, 05:36 PM
i just want to know what you think of the gx3 cocker pros and cons and were did you buy yours how much and pics would be awesome here is the on i am getting.

speedballbanks
02-04-2002, 05:44 PM
upup

DYE-BaLLeR
02-04-2002, 05:48 PM
i luv how the gun looks, gen x is a very good company, and that should be a great gun, one upgrade i would look into would be a hinge, i suggest an eclipse

nutz
02-04-2002, 06:06 PM
looks like its already a great gun.... see how it performs in ur hands before u do anything to it first :D

RSUAVE911
02-04-2002, 06:25 PM
Yeah, a hinge is pretty much one of the sweetest upgrades. with all guns a phat barrel, maybe a freak system. But I really love the color of that cocker, like I have seen a lot of cockers and that one is one of the nicest I have seen in a while. :)

speedballbanks
02-04-2002, 06:54 PM
i thought the same thing it is so simplistic yet beautiful.

-sCaN-
02-04-2002, 07:46 PM
I own one and let me tell you, with all of the stuff i have done to it air and barrel wise (thats all you need) this thing keeps up with anything in the tourneys i play. the only internal things i have done are spring kits and broke it in. this gun rips right out of the box and im very happy i got it.

-Gx-3
-14 in. Boomer
-8.5 in.(i think) Speedball
-Spring Kit
-Shocktech Long Chrome Drop
-CP Sliding Universal ASA w/guage
-PMI 68/3000
-Green Angel Air Loc-Soc
-12 Volt Revyy Smoke and another blue
-Proball Barrel "Condom"
-Paintballs (duh!)
-And me trying to keep up with the incredible ROF...

speedballbanks
02-04-2002, 08:12 PM
can you post some pics please?

-sCaN-
02-04-2002, 08:41 PM
my win xp pro is conflicting with the sandisc holder thingy that i put my digicam card in...i would love to if someone can give me the drivers...

sCaN

RT 01037
02-04-2002, 10:03 PM
hey speedballbanks i no your not going to sell your mag for that thing. and i no you dont have any money.;)

damageinc54
02-05-2002, 12:05 AM
I have a red GX3. I have a AGD Flatline on it and I have a freak kit and a red Dye Ultralite for it. This gun is the best cocker you can get for the price. I only paid 583.00 shipped for mine. The milling and ano is just beautiful. ANS could be charging 800.00 for this gun and they would still be sold out everywhere.

-sCaN-
02-05-2002, 12:24 AM
damage...amen bro i love mine to death

sCaN

gothicel
02-05-2002, 12:37 AM
I was wondering if anyone have a list of aftermarket producer websites.

Russ
02-05-2002, 12:22 PM
They are great gun and a great value. Do a search. I have posted much praise for them...and they don't NEED any upgrades!

speedballbanks
02-05-2002, 01:55 PM
ok sweet man i cant wait anyone wanna buy my mag (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24646&goto=newpost) ?
cause i want this cocker bad.

Scorch
02-05-2002, 02:29 PM
I shot a GX3 and was left wanting. It vibrates like a tuning fork.

A Stock 2k2 with these upgrades would be substantially better.

Stock 2k2 (http://www.actionvillage.com/010-9012-40.html) $340
MacDev Sonic Hammer & Valve kit (http://www.macdev.net/prod37.htm) $95 (includes IVG and spring set)
MacDev Sonic LPR (http://www.macdev.net/prod12.htm) $55
Belsales Roller sear (http://www.compulsivepaintball.com/) $45

It will run about 200-230 psi, probably never chop, be quieter, smoother and more efficient. The trigger would be like butter (even with the stock frame and plate).

Add $35-40 for an airsmith to install and time.

Considering the "stock" ram and 3 way are copies of the EvolutionX pnues... they are more than "ok".

If performance is key... this is a great way to go.

Scorch

RaV3n_Pa1ntba||
02-05-2002, 02:46 PM
If i was going to get one of those this is what i would do.

Black Bomb 3-way
Black Rock Reg w/ Silver Adjuster Knob
Chrome Sto Ram
----toss the crappy Gen X
Black Glad Reg
Black Eclipse Hinge Dye Sticky Grips (not all black)
Red Valve
Ying Yang Bolt
Kapp Black Twisted Cocking Rod
Kapp Black F/X Beaver Tail
ACI Hammer Kit

Russ
02-05-2002, 11:12 PM
OK Scorch, you've sparked my interest...

A Stock 2k2 with these upgrades would be substantially better.
Substantially better, huh? Please explain.

The only parts the G3 needs to be a competitive gun are a barrel, a motorized hopper and an air system. Really. Some folks have a tough time with that. They just WANT to change something on it ;)

Scorch
02-05-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Russ
OK Scorch, you've sparked my interest...
Substantially better, huh? Please explain.

Pull the hammer back on the ANS... pull the trigger.

Feel and hear the tuning fork... I mean GX3 vibrate. The best cockers (EvoX, Sonic, etc) don't. Some of that smoothness can be had simply by installing the Sonic Hammer. It has antivibe technology.

The Sonic RED Valve is arguably the best valve on the market. In conjunction with the other internals, it will lower the operating pressure (190-220 is common). Many have found their markers to be noticably quieter after installing the RED Valve.

The Kit also comes with a set of high quality lightweight springs. With the Sonic Hammer (heaviest on the market), you can significantly lower the cycling pressure of the marker.

An adjustible LPR is always a benefit on a cocker. Getting just the right cycling pressure and speed is key. The Sonic LPR is well made and the easiest lpr to maintain. One reason I have always loved Mags is their ease of maintenance. MacDev regs are like that. Simple and effective designs which are extremely easy to maintain at their peak performance.

The Besales roller sear is amazing... Its just like the very best trigger job but unlike polishing the trigger/sear parts, It never loses its smooth operation. A drop of good oil on the roller and even the stock trigger will feel like butter.

So... to recap.
- Lower Op pressure & Better efficiency
- Quieter and smoother shots (the vibrationless feel of a much more expensive cocker)
- Lowered cycling pressure for no chops
- Adjustible high performance lpr for perfect tuning of the cycling pressure relative to the weather, etc...
- Smoother and faster trigger

Scorch

PAINTBALLA01
02-05-2002, 11:53 PM
my brother has a gen x 3 he seems to love it. but for some reason he thinks its better than my emag :confused: i dont under stand it

Russ
02-06-2002, 08:17 AM
Thanks Scorch,

You've explained the benfits of each upgrade, but you have failed to convince me that these upgrades will make a stock 'Cocker substantially better than a G3.

The G3 has a bit of a "twang" when fired. So what. I don't see this as an issue. It doesn't detract from accuracy or consistency. Surely it's not as smooth as the EvoX (perhaps the sonic as well, but I havn't seen one) BUT, it is less than half the price. Remember, not everyone is sponsored!

- The quick-fire trigger is VERY smooth and crisp. It makes the gun feel and shoot great. It is quite fast as well.

- The G3's operating pressure, right out of the box is around 200psi.

- The G3 comes with a fine adjustable LPR (Jackhammer 2), and has all the benefits of a lower operating pressure for reduced chopping and quieter operation.

- The G3 comes with a decent adjustable reg (GenX-2), which makes velocity adjustment a snap.

Bottom line is the G3 is a great, OUT-OF-THE-BOX gun. It works well as the total package. Dye stickies, a neat (but seldom used) pnuematics cover, and your choice of a nice anno job, all for under $600.

Our G3 has well over a dozen cases of paint through it now. It has yet to need an adjustment of any kind. Dare I say reliable as a Mag?

PAINTBALLA01,

One other note, when my E-Mag will be having trouble breaking a particular brand of paint, the G-3 will just be putting out ball after ball, with 'nary a hitch. In many ways, the G3 IS better than the E-Mag!

Russ

Scorch
02-06-2002, 09:26 AM
I thought my detail would have made it clear. :)

The G3 has a bit of a "twang" when fired.
Most people actually describe the "twang" as a BUZZING. A high % of the reviews of the GX3 on Pbreview pointed to the pronounced buzzing of the beaver tail as a problem. Vibration isn't a byproduct of good construction. ;)

Remember, not everyone is sponsored!
:p Nothing about my suggestion requires sponsorship. ;) On the contrary, I am making a suggestion to get the most for one's dollar.

The quick-fire trigger is VERY smooth and crisp. It makes the gun feel and shoot great. It is quite fast as well.
Yes it can shoot quick. Very smooth... I don't think so. The roller sear will keep the stock frames relative quickness but make the pull and return extremely smooth.

The G3's operating pressure, right out of the box is around 200psi.
Hmmm.... most GX3 users seem to believe its 225-250. Since the ANS valve is not known for its extraordinary performance anything lower seems unlikely especially with the moderate weight of its hammer.

The G3 comes with a fine adjustable LPR (Jackhammer 2), and has all the benefits of a lower operating pressure for reduced chopping and quieter operation.
But wouldn't no chopping be better? The Jackhammer is ok but not as easy to keep perfect like the Sonic. Its also not the key to reducing chopping or quieting operation. A properly adjusted stock LPR would be as effective. The Ram and 3 way on the 2k2 cocker are simply a more proven design than the ANS. The stock ram may even cycle at a lower pressure than the ANS. The ANS 3way has a history of leaks.

The G3 comes with a decent adjustable reg (GenX-2), which makes velocity adjustment a snap
The Stock reg with the Sonic IVG (part of the Hammer & Valve kit) allow for velocity adjustment in the same way. Since the REDValve flows MUCH better than the ANS and the hammer is significantly (I've been waiting to use that word again) heavier, the upgraded 2k2 will cycle at about 40-45psi with an input pressure of 190-220.

Bottom line is the G3 is a great, OUT-OF-THE-BOX gun. It works well as the total package. Dye stickies, a neat (but seldom used) pnuematics cover, and your choice of a nice anno job, all for under $600.
I really didn't want to disparage your purchase decision. The GX3 is not a bad markers.

Also for less than 600 bux you can have a 2k2 Cocker that will out perform the GX3 and many in that price range including the STO (lower cycling pressure, lower shooting pressure, smoother shot, smoother trigger, quieter shot, NO BUZZING BEAVERTAIL, better efficiency).

Our G3 has well over a dozen cases of paint through it now. It has yet to need an adjustment of any kind. Dare I say reliable as a Mag?
Just wait. That vibration will shake loose your lug and *edit* throw off your timing eventually. Nope its not as reliable as a Mag. :D

Scorch

damageinc54
02-06-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Scorch

Pull the hammer back on the ANS... pull the trigger.

Feel and hear the tuning fork... I mean GX3 vibrate. The best cockers (EvoX, Sonic, etc) don't. Some of that smoothness can be had simply by installing the Sonic Hammer.Scorch

By reading your post, I would think that nothing for the cocker is good unless it says Sonic or MacDev on it. For the price of the GX3 it is a great gun. You will not find a better cocker in the price range of the GX3. You want to compare the GX3 to what you call the best cockers? There is no comparison. They are not even in the same price range. I would not pay what they want for those other cockers. Each one in well over 1000.00 and they will not be anymore accurate or fast as the GX3.

Scorch
02-06-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by damageinc54
By reading your post, I would think that nothing for the cocker is good unless it says Sonic or MacDev on it. For the price of the GX3 it is a great gun. You will not find a better cocker in the price range of the GX3.

Scorch
I really didn't want to disparage your purchase decision. The GX3 is not a bad markers.

I picked MacDev parts for a couple of reasons. I know them well... They are very well made... They offer the most for the money. Right now no company makes as complete of a line of Cocker upgrades as MacDev with the same level of quality. The AKA kit or Belsales kit are also good choices but do not completely address the smoothness/vibration issue.

My whole point is that when discussing performance, many mid-level "custom" cockers are more flash than substance. I was trying to show that for 500-600 bux total a VERY good cocker could be had when starting with the Stock 2k2 model.

I believe it would be better than the "custom" cockers in the 500-700 dollar range. For $200 more (ex. Sonic YinYang bolt kit and Choice of swing trigger) my spec'd cocker would rival Eclipses, SFLs, FF's etc... It wouldn't look it but it would shoot that well.

Scorch

Russ
02-06-2002, 06:15 PM
Scorch,

Your posts are articulate and explain in detail the benefits of each "mod" to your stock 'cocker. Thanks, you'd make a hell of a salesman.

But you still fail to proove how it is "Substantially better" than the GenX-3. :eek:

Substantially, marginally, equal, It all comes down to semantics. I guess we'll just agree to disagree :)

Scorch
02-06-2002, 06:38 PM
Cool. :)

Scorch

thecavemankevin
02-06-2002, 06:46 PM
you two are going on and on about cockers and i am getting lost. I must admit i am very interested in the G3, have been for a while. But i am more confused than ever.

I wish that they would make an "Autocockers for Dummies" book.

speedballbanks
02-06-2002, 07:20 PM
lol on the dummies book i bet you can make some money for that so write a book abuot it