PDA

View Full Version : Cutting carbon fiber??

skyless
12-04-2009, 12:15 PM
I have some cf tubing to use for feed tubes and was wondering how much cutting I could do to it and still have it functional. I figure small holes would be ok, but could I mill a slot down the side for a
spring feed? I bought a bit extra so I could use a length to experiment, just never worked with the stuff. Any insite would be great, and should I protect the cuts
with anything special afterwards? Thanks

MANN
12-04-2009, 12:34 PM
tape off what you are cutting, and use a fine tooth saw. That is how I did mine, and it worked great.

skyless
12-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Tubes are cut to length, I have access to a mill to cut a slot for a spring feed. I'm worried that the tube won't hold it's shape during or after cutting. Did you treat the cut ends with anything to prevent splintering or degeneration of the tube?

Ando
12-04-2009, 12:49 PM
That's why you tape it. It will keep it from fraying

MANN
12-04-2009, 01:00 PM
That's why you tape it. It will keep it from fraying

yeah it keeps the outside fine. The inside splintered a tad, but I was using it over an aluminum tube so it was/is not noticible.

Ruler_Mark
12-04-2009, 02:43 PM
seal it with epoxy after the cut

leloup
12-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Sorry to thread jack, but where does one obtain cf tube?

Ando
12-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Many places...here's one

http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=79

thejere
12-05-2009, 10:01 AM
CF holds it shape well as long as it was made well. Carbon fiber weave that is pre-impregnated with epoxy and cured under pressure in an autoclave can be machine like 6061 Al. if you look at the end and the fiber/resin mix appears uniform then you are looking at a good specimen. Beware areas that appear dry(not enough resin when cured) or have voids(too much resin when cured).

When cutting a slot for a spring feed, I'd recommend using the smallest bit available and remove material slowly. You want to prevent the bit from trying to 'pull' fibers out and just have it machine away the epoxy and fiber uniformly. Leave about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch intact on each end of the tube, this will reduce the risk of having the tube loose round. CF and fiber glass can do large radius well. Right angles are where these materials loose shape.

Use the mill to bore your holes as well. A drill bit will probably push fibers into the tube and leave a very rough finish.

As for sealing the ends, depends what you will be doing with it after. If you want leave it raw and show of the CF seal with epoxy or something that will dry clear. If you are going to paint it you can use a putty type compound that will be easier to sand.

skyless
12-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks Thejere, that is just what I was hoping to hear.

maniacmechanic
12-05-2009, 09:11 PM
ready to sell them yet ?? ( drool , drool )

skyless
12-05-2009, 10:39 PM
ready to sell them yet ?? ( drool , drool )

:ninja: