PDA

View Full Version : Magic Box

lsongj721
12-06-2009, 04:49 PM
What exactly is it meant to do, and how does it do it? Is there any schematics?

Coralis
12-06-2009, 04:59 PM
its a tube that is drilled into the side of the valve to make the dump chamber bigger so that lower pressure can be used for the same velocity ... mostly its just hocus pocus .

lsongj721
12-06-2009, 05:39 PM
ya, i knew it was kinda BS... i was just wondering what is was bsing about lol

xero28
12-06-2009, 07:33 PM
I've got a Magic Box Mag myself. I got it from my brother-in-law who used to play pro in the early 90's and was sponsored by Smart Parts for a time. I suppose I could have just gone out to my garage and taken mine apart, but I'm sick and didn't want to do that. Besides it took me about as long to draw this up on SketchUp as it would have to take the real one apart. Words are a bit small, but from left to right: Valve, Extra tubing, rod to hold box in place, bolt, body.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8341/64554581.jpg

Coralis was right on. All it is is an extra length of tubing. Seriously? You could do the EXACT same thing by using an 8" steel braided line instead of a 6" steel braided line. They say that it increases the volume of the dump chamber? Seriously? The on/off separates the tube from the dump chamber, so as soon as you pull the trigger and close the on/off, the magic box and the dump chamber are two completely separate entities. The dump chamber is as big as it is, no need to change it, and the only way this box could have made it bigger was if the FORWARD rod (the one that just holds the box in place) were extra tubing going into the chamber (I think). Some people have said that the only thing that you could do with it is, if playing with CO2, tilt the gun and the tubing will fill with liquid, then the next 3 or 4 shot will be hot (faster than what you have been shooting) and you could hit guys further away. Whoop-dee-doo. This was just another gimmick from the Gardner boys. There's a reason it says specifically on the box: "Do not attempt to remove this box". Because if you do you'd realize that you wasted your money and that Smart Parts are morons. Long live AGD! :shooting:

lsongj721
12-06-2009, 08:55 PM
wow, lol, that just makes it seem every more useless.

Why not just use like 3 feet of macroline :P

That truly is extremely lame.
Tho i guess the whole liquid Co2 thing is...kinda cool. Tho illegal.

secretweaponevan
12-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Why not just use like 3 feet of macroline :P

Because that wouldn't increase the volume of the dump chamber.

xero28
12-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Because that wouldn't increase the volume of the dump chamber.

Pretty much the point. Their whole claim as to what the box actually does was/is totally bogus, anyone who kind of understands the function of an AutoMag valve would be able to see that.

Please, pay no attention to them lame-o behind the curtain. :tard:

nuclear zombie
12-07-2009, 12:56 AM
The front rod to hold the box in place, as labeled in the picture, is actually the part that increases the dump chamber size. There's a hole drilled and tapped into the dump chamber, and the expansion chamber is screwed into that, the rear part is actually there to help hold the box.

xero28
12-07-2009, 01:24 AM
The front rod to hold the box in place, as labeled in the picture, is actually the part that increases the dump chamber size. There's a hole drilled and tapped into the dump chamber, and the expansion chamber is screwed into that, the rear part is actually there to help hold the box.

I'm sorry, but I've got to disagree with that. Unless the one that I have is different from others, the front rod is drilled and tapped to the front part of the valve, but there is no air flow whatsoever that goes through that front rod. The "rear part", which you say is there to help hole the box, is in fact screwed into the standard input hole of the valve. I have removed the box/extra tubing and played many games with just the front rod sticking out. There is no connection between the extra tubing/input air and the front rod. I will try to remember to take mine apart tomorrow morning and take some pictures. :cheers:

nuclear zombie
12-07-2009, 06:09 AM
I'm sorry, but I've got to disagree with that. Unless the one that I have is different from others, the front rod is drilled and tapped to the front part of the valve, but there is no air flow whatsoever that goes through that front rod. The "rear part", which you say is there to help hole the box, is in fact screwed into the standard input hole of the valve. I have removed the box/extra tubing and played many games with just the front rod sticking out. There is no connection between the extra tubing/input air and the front rod. I will try to remember to take mine apart tomorrow morning and take some pictures. :cheers:

I've owned one and have taken it apart. The front part of the valve where the front rod is attached is the dump chamber. Air doesn't flow through it like the back tube, it's drilled out to increase the volume of the dump chamber. Here's a quick image of how the front tube modifies the dump chamber.

http://imgur.com/imWXS.jpg

secretweaponevan
12-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Pretty much the point. Their whole claim as to what the box actually does was/is totally bogus, anyone who kind of understands the function of an AutoMag valve would be able to see that.

One of their claims were true:
By increasing the volume of the dump chamber, you lower the operating pressure to achieve the same velocity.

It's just that the other claims (Better efficiency, farther range, do your laundry ;) ) were all lies.

xero28
12-07-2009, 10:56 AM
I've owned one and have taken it apart. The front part of the valve where the front rod is attached is the dump chamber. Air doesn't flow through it like the back tube, it's drilled out to increase the volume of the dump chamber. Here's a quick image of how the front tube modifies the dump chamber.

My apologies. I never knew that the front rod was hollow. I've never seen that graphic, but now I understand a little clearer. I guess I never completely understood the actual workings of the box until now. :( I have tried to remove that rod but have yet to be able to do so, so I have never seen that it is hollow. Well, you learn something new every day. :cheers:

Shirow
12-07-2009, 11:51 AM
You forgot that the box is also filled with magical elves.

Dend78
12-07-2009, 12:28 PM
You forgot that the box is also filled with magical elves.

those are hard to depict with Paint :rofl:

zondo
12-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Take the black case off and it's pretty surprising what it looks like. I couldn't remove that front tube either.

I'm glad it found a happy home! ;)

xero28
12-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Now that I finally realize the front rod in fact is hollow and actually does something, I see that they could have completely done away with the "box" part of it and just had the rod sticking out. But then, I guess they wouldn't have been able to put the "Smart Parts" logo on there as big so everyone could see it. Plus they wouldn't be able to trick everybody into thinking that there was actually something INSIDE the box that did something spectacular. :rolleyes:

zondo
12-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Now that I finally realize the front rod in fact is hollow and actually does something, I see that they could have completely done away with the "box" part of it and just had the rod sticking out. But then, I guess they wouldn't have been able to put the "Smart Parts" logo on there as big so everyone could see it. Plus they wouldn't be able to trick everybody into thinking that there was actually something INSIDE the box that did something spectacular. :rolleyes:

I was toying with putting a gauge in that port if I could have removed it. You could put a 90* elbow on it maybe and streamline it, if you want to keep the volumizer on.

gremlin75
12-07-2009, 04:30 PM

Lol, magic box just sounds so much better then "magic rod". That just sounds like a chicks toy :tard:

Later
gremlin

Shirow
12-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Lol, magic box just sounds so much better then "magic rod". That just sounds like a chicks toy :tard:

Later
gremlin

Smart Parts Magic Rod - increases volume and efficiency! Get more done with less pressure! Shoot your stuff farther and more accurately! Chicks dig it!

I don't know what you're talking about, sounds fine to me

Coralis
12-07-2009, 09:19 PM
For what you had to pay to get this mod done, the more truthful name would of been the magic rod of wallet cornholing.