PDA

View Full Version : very unique micromag body

I R Moose
12-13-2009, 02:21 AM
hey all, Ive always wanted to build a mag and today i got an excellent deal on a brand new micromag body so obviously, i jumped at it. the body itself is very unique as it has no detent/ is not drilled for one

pics:
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv40/bigassmoose/DSCF2721.jpg
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv40/bigassmoose/DSCF2723-1.jpg

Now, my major question is, how should i go about putting in a detent? i thought about drilling/having some one drill it for a cocker detent, anyone have any suggestions?

Ando
12-13-2009, 02:42 AM
I can't see the pics at work...

But if there's a way luke can get-r-dun.

xero28
12-13-2009, 03:02 AM
Cocker/angel threaded is probably your best bet. Though I have a thought that it might be a clone Micro body? I thought clones used one screw for the feedneck, PTP uses two? I may way off base with that though.

Frizzle Fry
12-13-2009, 12:22 PM
That is not an actual micromag, it is an illegally produced knockoff.

Some people say "clone" but that would imply that it's identical, which it is not.

Just so you know, the vertical adapter will need to be sanded to fit an actual Micromag. The barrel threading is often shabby, so it helps to use barrels that are older, otherwise they won't screw in all the way and will leave a gap. There is no detent system, which makes the marker almost completely unusable until you drill and thread for a cocker detent or cut for a wire.

Hope that helps!

Frizzle Fry
12-13-2009, 12:23 PM
I thought clones used one screw for the feedneck, PTP uses two? I may way off base with that though.

I have a genuine PTP that uses 1.

I R Moose
12-13-2009, 12:43 PM
That is not an actual micromag, it is an illegally produced knockoff.

Some people say "clone" but that would imply that it's identical, which it is not.

Just so you know, the vertical adapter will need to be sanded to fit an actual Micromag. The barrel threading is often shabby, so it helps to use barrels that are older, otherwise they won't screw in all the way and will leave a gap. There is no detent system, which makes the marker almost completely unusable until you drill and thread for a cocker detent or cut for a wire.

Hope that helps!

thanks for the info, i don't think it'll be a problem to put in a detent, just gotta find someone who can do for a reasonable price.

now i've noticed another thing, when i tried to screw in my freak back it screws in about 1/2 way and then will physically not go any farther, do you think an older barrel would be able to screw in all the way?

Frizzle Fry
12-13-2009, 12:53 PM
now i've noticed another thing, when i tried to screw in my freak back it screws in about 1/2 way and then will physically not go any farther, do you think an older barrel would be able to screw in all the way?

Yep. That's how I discovered the problem waaaaay back... Someone gave me a knockoff and it wouldn't fit my gen1 Freak. I found it could accept old Lapcos and old Tasos, but not old (1992?) "Bud Orr signature series" cocker barrels or original SmartParts ported barrels. Your best bet is to give it to a machinist to have the threads chased with a better tap.

DevilMan
12-13-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure if Luke can do the threading as well, but Cyberave did mine when I had one that had wonky barrel threads. He may (read as more than likely) will be able to do the detent as well.

You should be able to ship to him, let him fix the threads, drill and tap for the detent and mail back to you.

Cost??? That's something to ask him. Reasonable? That depends on what your idea of it is.

Good luck.

DM

I R Moose
12-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the help all, shot him a pm, waiting for his reply.
I'm hoping to male this thing pretty beast