PDA

View Full Version : Strap Wrenches?

OPBN
12-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Do they make small strap wrenches to take things off like feednecks? I swear, I can't seem to not scratch any feedneck when I try to take it off no matter how many towels I wrap them in when using a pair of channel locks.

bbotts77
12-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Do they make small strap wrenches to take things off like feednecks? I swear, I can't seem to not scratch any feedneck when I try to take it off no matter how many towels I wrap them in when using a pair of channel locks.
I have one. I think I got it from Home Depot in a two-pack with a larger one. It works for the non-clamping feednecks. For the clamping feednecks, I just put an old loader in them, tighten it down and use the loader as my lever to turn the feedneck out.

Ben

luke
12-18-2009, 10:49 AM
I boil them in water, then use a leather glove and channel lock pliers. One day I will pick up a strap wrench. :rolleyes:

halB
12-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Have you thought about a chrome wrench? It's a pipe wrench that has pillows and no teeth on it. It's designed for unscrewing chrome faucets without damaging the finish.

going_home
12-18-2009, 11:02 AM

Got mine at the local Sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00945570000P?vName=Tools&keyword=strap+wrench

I also got these rubber covers for the bench vise there.
Real handy for removing regs from tanks. (along with the bigger strap wrench)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00951866000P?keyword=bench+vise

;)

El Camino
12-18-2009, 11:12 AM
I have two strap wrenches, but I can never find them, so I take a leather belt, loop it around the feedneck, put the two sides of the belt together and clamp just the belt with Vise Grips, the same way a strap wrench does, then pull counter clockwise letting the back of the Vise grips rest against the leather that's over the feedneck, like the strap wrench. keep it low so not to deform the shape of the feedneck.

OPBN
12-18-2009, 11:37 AM
I never thought of usinig a leather belt. I know I have one or two around here that would work. I have never heard of a Chrome Wrench. I would have thought it was well, a chromed wrench... lol. Will have to look into that as well. The rubber bumpers for the vice grip is a good idea. I may have to run into Sears. I have been wrapping them in duct tape.... doesnt really work too well either.

thanks for the input.

Ando
12-18-2009, 12:14 PM
I always (if it's a clamping feed neck) use the hopper to twist it off. Just tighten down the clamp a little more then you would onto your hopper and use the hopper as leverage. Just don't go 2 tight and crack your hopper. :rolleyes:

EDIT:
There's also pliers we use in the aviation world called cannon plug pliers. I've never used them to remove anything on a paintball marker but they do have rubber pads in the mouth area.
http://yardstore.com/prodimg/14034.jpg

OPBN
12-18-2009, 12:17 PM
I always (if it's a clamping feed neck) use the hopper to twist it off. Just tighten down the clamp a little more then you would onto your hopper and use the hopper as leverage. Just don't go 2 tight and crack your hopper. :rolleyes:
I have done this too, but unfortunately, the clamping feedneck that I am trying to get off takes a size of allen key that I don't have.

Ando
12-18-2009, 12:19 PM
I have done this too, but unfortunately, the clamping feedneck that I am trying to get off takes a size of allen key that I don't have.

probably cheaper to go buy a allen wrench :rolleyes:

OPBN
12-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Found the right size allen key in one of my other toolboxes. Tried putting in boiling water,using a leather belt as a pad, as well as putting a feeder on. Didnt want to break my feeder, so I ended up using a spare PVC fitting I had sitting around in conjunction with a leather belt and set of channel locks. Finally got the :cuss: off! Looks to be some loctite on the threads. Of course, I scratched the feedneck in one of my earlier attempts. :cry: Luckily, the whole thing is probably going to ano anyways in a couple of weeks.

Watcher
12-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Well, if you ever still need some SEARS sells some cheap plastic ones for under $10. Craftsman, so if they ever break you can get it replaced for free.

I got one to take a cocker feedneck off, broke the wrench, then they upgraded me to a metal, large, awesome one.

Then I realized the feedneck was not removeable :rolleyes:

Shirow
12-18-2009, 06:06 PM
So... I completely don't understand this thread and I'm just curious.. what are you trying to remove the feedneck from that you need a strap wrench for? I just unscrew mine by hand...

Ando
12-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Then I realized the feedneck was not removeable :rolleyes:
Classic :rofl:

OPBN
12-18-2009, 10:13 PM
So... I completely don't understand this thread and I'm just curious.. what are you trying to remove the feedneck from that you need a strap wrench for? I just unscrew mine by hand...
The feedneck off of my ULE body. One of the previous owners appears to have used loctite on it.

Shirow
12-18-2009, 10:59 PM
The feedneck off of my ULE body. One of the previous owners appears to have used loctite on it.

Really? Weird. Am I the only person that doesn't loctite their feedneck onto their body? :p

Watcher
12-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Really? Weird. Am I the only person that doesn't loctite their feedneck onto their body? :p

I'd blue loctite it... other than that I wouldn't do anything.

om3n
12-19-2009, 02:04 AM
I never loctite mine.

SSP REAPER
12-19-2009, 06:50 AM
go to Sears and buy the two pack (one large and one small) for like $15. Also remember to use a dab of blue locktite on your threads when installing your feedneck!

bunny5
12-19-2009, 08:29 AM
lol, I had to take a CCM feedtube off of a dallara. Sure enough, Red Loctite :(

Blue Loctite is your friend!!!

Shirow
12-19-2009, 08:56 AM

Why? Do they come loose often? Mine never has.. just hand tightened.

SSP REAPER
12-19-2009, 08:57 AM
lol, I had to take a CCM feedtube off of a dallara. Sure enough, Red Loctite :(

Blue Loctite is your friend!!!
AGD uses red loctite on their ULE feednecks. Always fun stuff to swap out... Your right, Blue is your friend

smeek
12-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Why? Do they come loose often? Mine never has.. just hand tightened.

They can especially if you use a back heavy/oddly weighted hopper like the Evolution or Magna.

halB
12-19-2009, 08:29 PM

EDIT:
There's also pliers we use in the aviation world called cannon plug pliers. I've never used them to remove anything on a paintball marker but they do have rubber pads in the mouth area.
http://yardstore.com/prodimg/14034.jpg
That's what I was talking about. Those work pretty well.