PDA

View Full Version : Best way to handle person to person transactions from forums

Wayne
12-26-2009, 01:20 AM
I am looking at purchasing a marker from the classifieds forum. What is the safest way for both of us? I can paypal and send the money that way but does paypal protect me if they never ship? Do I have any recourse? I do alot of ebay purchses but this is different. Thanks.

SkinnyHare
12-26-2009, 01:52 AM
having a 3rd party do the transaction is probably the "safest" way to go about it. personally i've never been short changed by anyone on here since i came back to the boards a couple years ago. every transaction i've had, both buying and selling, has always gone smoothly for me. the one time that something i ordered did not show up (USPS lost it) the guy simply refunded my money. i've never had to write negative feedback for anyone.

for the most part AO just seems to attract a better group of people than a lot of other forms with B/S/T areas.

DeuceSV
12-26-2009, 02:02 AM
You can also check the seller's feedback to see if they have done good transactions in the past. You can also file a complaint to paypal if they don't ship, and then most of the time you can get your money back.

Ando
12-26-2009, 06:26 AM
The seller will need to verify that he actually sent it. PayPal requires a delivery conformation on the sender if you file a claim. If you never got it and he has no conformation then they'll rule in your favor. Make sure you insure it for good measures.

Wayne
12-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

FA22RaptorF22
12-31-2009, 12:47 PM
I find that these tightly knit forums provide a very good way of not getting stiffed in a transaction.

What you want to do is first, make sure that you keep all the transaction information stored in text. These exchanges of information are legally binding, and are a necessary piece of information in the event that a transaction goes sour.

Second, check the feedback of the person you are selling or buying from/to. The more the better. If a small amount of feedback, if the feedback they have is from a reputable person, your chances are very good. If they have no feedback, I advise keeping the amount of money exchanged small.

Third, if you are paying or being paid, use a 3rd party to transfer the money like paypal.

Good luck shopping!! :D

DFSniper
12-31-2009, 12:53 PM
i usually use paypal to buy and sell, because it gives you a little peace of mind, and then i always try to ship with delivery confirmation. a good rule of thumb, insure anything over $50. i had a friend who traded his hopper to another kid we know, and his new hopper got lost in the mail.

MANN
12-31-2009, 01:06 PM
where in Tn are you from. I am in knoxville.