PDA

View Full Version : Best way to paint/coat minimag

stevo911_
12-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Heyhey, I'm the new guy here I guess.
Just picked up my first AGD marker yesterday; a minimag (powerfeed, vertical air) that I'm planning on running on a 3.5 oz and stick feed (and a freak barrel if I can get one). If you cant tell from my plans I'm a pumper at heart (6 of my 8 [excluding the minimag]) current markers have been or are pumps, decided I wanted something similar in size and shape to my phantom with a little more firepower.
Anyways I was thinking of doing some cosmetic work to the mag (I'm thinking either a matte black or matte olive green body would look pretty mean), and was wondering what the best way to go about it would be? I've never dealt with stainless before, mostly just aluminum and normal steel. Right now the body is the matte grey colour (I dont even know if thats a coating or just texture on raw stainless).
Any tips or tricks? I was thinking of trying duracoat (never tried it before) if I can get that up here (canada) otherwise I'm at a loss.
Should be fun playing with a new type of marker (I'm tired of all my cockers aside from my halfblock and am selling them all off)

Dend78
12-28-2009, 04:07 PM
cant beat a good ol rattle can, its easy on and pretty easy off and its not going to break the bank or your heart if it chips. duracoat can be done but gotta make sure you dont throw off the whole gun cause of different tolerances and such. normally like the top of the rail where the body and valve sit should be left alone along with the underside of the body and even the valve if you have it all done.

stevo911_
12-28-2009, 04:15 PM
I was thinking about that, but I figured it probably wouldnt bond/would come off super easy? Is that matte grey finish on the old minimags a coating or just bead blasted stainless?

greystone
12-29-2009, 02:06 AM
I was thinking about that, but I figured it probably wouldnt bond/would come off super easy? Is that matte grey finish on the old minimags a coating or just bead blasted stainless?

Bead Blasted.

JKR
01-01-2010, 09:10 AM
I have some experience in painting a 'Mag body with rattle can paint and can honestly say that it doesn't do well. I carefully cleaned the body and gave it a couple of light coats of rattle can primer. After ample dry time between coats, I gave it about three coats of black followed by two coats of clear coat. I was sure to tape off where the rail rests on the body to avoid tolerance issues. I carefully handled the body and didn't just throw it in a gear bag after a day of play and it still chipped and got to looking bad.

WickedKlown2
01-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Best thing to do is get ahold of Luke here on the forums and get him to do the stick feed mod and powder coat it for you... You will have to send him your rail and body so he can powder coat it for you...

Here's a link to his services : http://www.lukescustoms.com/page0003.htm

I hope that this helps...

WK2

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff63/wickedklown2/south.png