PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Guys Think Of My Gear Selection V2.0

WillBrayJr
12-29-2009, 06:07 PM
There's no way I'm going to be able to afford a marker off of this website due to Airsoft-GI not refunding my $106. If I didn't have a $275 cable bill I would be able too though.

I DID however run into a desperate seller of a AGD Classic Automag with two barrels for a reasonable price. Hopefully he doesn't re-nig on the deal like someone else I know on these forums.

Anyone deal with Paintball Discounters in Ohio :confused: Because that's where I'm getting my gear from in February :headbang:

Here's my Gear List :clap:

AGD Classic Automag
V-Force Profiler Mask
VL Revolution Force Loader
Elbow
Pure Energy Aluminum HPA Tank (If Allowed)
Tech-T Gun Drops Oil
ProFlex Squeegee
Empire BackPack
Wrek 140rd Tubes X3
Redz Flex Tech 3.2 Pack

Trying to keep it as cheap as possible. I have just enough in February to buy the accessories.

Shirow
12-29-2009, 07:49 PM
There's no way I'm going to be able to afford a marker off of this website due to Airsoft-GI not refunding my $106. If I didn't have a $275 cable bill I would be able too though.

I DID however run into a desperate seller of a AGD Classic Automag with two barrels for a reasonable price. Hopefully he doesn't re-nig on the deal like someone else I know on these forums.

Anyone deal with Paintball Discounters in Ohio :confused: Because that's where I'm getting my gear from in February :headbang:

Here's my Gear List :clap:

AGD Classic Automag
V-Force Profiler Mask
VL Revolution Force Loader
Elbow
Pure Energy Aluminum HPA Tank (If Allowed)
Tech-T Gun Drops Oil
ProFlex Squeegee
Empire BackPack
Wrek 140rd Tubes X3
Redz Flex Tech 3.2 Pack

Trying to keep it as cheap as possible. I have just enough in February to buy the accessories.

I normally use discountpaintball.com or pbgear.com when I need to buy stuff.

If it was me.. I'd drop the backpack and spend the money on upgrading your other stuff a little.

WillBrayJr
12-29-2009, 07:52 PM
What do you think needs to be upgraded :confused: I chose an aluminum HPA tank because I don't think carbon fiber tanks are very stable ;)

smeek
12-29-2009, 08:00 PM
I've always had good experiences when buying from paintballdiscounters.

I don't really recommend a 48/3000 tank for a mag. Even if it's only $37, I'd rent one at plex first before you buy one. If you carry that pack's capacity you'll definitely run out of air first.

vf-xx
12-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Define stable? CF tanks are lighter, you can get 4.5k fills in them, and I've used mine for years.

WillBrayJr
12-29-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm open to suggestionss on the gear ;)

smeek
12-29-2009, 08:04 PM
What do you think needs to be upgraded :confused: I chose an aluminum HPA tank because I don't think carbon fiber tanks are very stable ;)

You want a CF tank for the extra capacity, you'll be in the air line more than on the field if you get a 48/3000. The CF tanks are just as safe as the Aluminum if cared for properly and kept in hydro. The Cf tanks are CF wrapped around an Aluminum tank, that's why some can be filled to 4500 instead of 3000.

WillBrayJr
12-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Define stable? CF tanks are lighter, you can get 4.5k fills in them, and I've used mine for years.
That's what I'm worried about, their weight. If they're lighter then the tank must be sacrificing something.

kenjay
12-29-2009, 08:05 PM
I agree, I would definitely go 68ci 4500psi carbon fiber tank. You'll want the extra air, and the CF tanks are...tanks (the figurative military kind). Unless you are doing some very, very rugged playing.

WillBrayJr
12-29-2009, 08:11 PM
What about the Pure Energy Ultra Air HPA. It's 50ci with 4500psi and has a 5 year test date :confused:

smeek
12-29-2009, 08:12 PM
That's what I'm worried about, their weight. If they're lighter then the tank must be sacrificing something.

These are the same style tanks Firemen use only smaller, they have the same build design. Firemen don't baby their tanks either. With that in mind and all of the years CF tanks have been used in paintball I don't think you have anything to worry about, if they weren't safe enough they wouldn't be the standard.

Carnage reigns
12-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Have you thought about looking on e-bay? They have items with free shipping.

vf-xx
12-29-2009, 08:16 PM

Actually, there is far more engineering and design work for CF tanks over aluminum tanks.

CF tanks sacrifice nothing, AL tanks you're sacrificing weight and pressure capacity for cost.

zondo
12-29-2009, 08:17 PM

Well, I'd say the best upgrade for your Classic would be a Level 10 bolt.

Rudz
12-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Carbon fiber tanks are very reliable and they can be up to 4500 psi fills, even on a 45 cubic inch tank that's 650 shots per fill as opposed to you aluminum tank that will only be able to be filled to 3000 psi and only shoot 430 shots from a 43 cubic inch aluminum tank

3000 psi translates into 10 shots per square inch, 4500 psi translates into 15 shots per sqaure inch

A 68 cubic inch tank at 4500 psi is going to yield over 1000 shots per fill on a mag and weigh as much as you aluminum 43 cubic inch tank

Older carbon fiber tanks are heavier , and cheaper, you can find a nice 68/4500 tank all day for right around 100 dollars, the newer lighter tanks are just as strong and can be had for 130 to 150

Carbon fiber tanks either have a 3 year or 5 year hydro period, when they expire they need to be re hydrod and can be used for years and years

Aluminum tanks are all a 3 year hydro, so you will spend more money getting your tank hydrod every 3 years over time

I would save your money and go with a cheap 68/4500 carbon fiber tank and a nice tank cover

The tank cover prevents any nicks or scratches

smeek
12-29-2009, 08:26 PM
You may want to look for a used tank. You can find 68/4500 tanks used for under $100. I have to second the Level X bolt upgrade as well, especially with a revvy.

Rudz: I was under the impression tanks could only be hydro tested 3 times, is that correct? That's still a 20 year life span on a 5 year tank.

Rudz
12-29-2009, 08:39 PM
You may want to look for a used tank. You can find 68/4500 tanks used for under $100. I have to second the Level X bolt upgrade as well, especially with a revvy.

Rudz: I was under the impression tanks could only be hydro tested 3 times, is that correct? That's still a 20 year life span on a 5 year tank.

Correct, compare a 12 year lifespan to 20

You will have the 5 year cf tank almost twive as long as the aluminum 3000
I have an cf 3 year tank and I swear it feels like I'm always having to get it rehydrod, which reminds me, its due again, so if you do spring for a carbon fiber tank be sure to get a 5 year tank......don't just get a cheap 3 year hydro worrgas tank cuz they had cool looking anime chiks on them....

elgalloblanco
12-29-2009, 09:03 PM
The DOT paperwork on both of my CF tanks says "Cylinders manufactured under this exemption are not authorized for use fifteen (15) years after the date of manufacture.". One is Carleton tank which has a three year hydro, and the other is a Gayston tank with a five year. Is that the standard service life of a CF tank?

Rudz
12-29-2009, 09:21 PM
That's intresting, I wonder if that's the life term for all carbon fiber tanks

Frizzle Fry
12-29-2009, 09:31 PM
All of my 3-year tanks say 15 years max. My 5 year says nothing, but is allegedly good for up to 3 hydros according to paperwork.

going_home
12-29-2009, 09:34 PM
That's intresting, I wonder if that's the life term for all carbon fiber tanks

Name number and email here if someone wants to contact him and ask.
1st page looks to be the paintball tanks.

http://resources.carltech.com/PTD/PTDproduct_list.pdf

;)

Ando
12-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Fiber wrapped: 3 to 5 year testing, have a 15 year life span.

Aluminum: Need to be tested every 5 years and have a unlimited life.

Steel: Are tested at least every 3 years with a 24yr life span

My grandfather still has aluminum scuba tanks from the 60 or 70's ;)

He was a diver for the Navy.

Watcher
12-30-2009, 12:37 AM
For a bag, go to a local militry surplus store.

The one I work at sells what we call IDF Tactical bags. Basically, it is a canvas duffle bag with a crap ton of accessory pockets, and instead of a shoulder strap it has backpack straps.

It's big enough on the inside to fit a marker, hoppers, airtanks, spare cloths, boots, pod packs, pods, and a case of paint and the outside/inside pockets are perfect for tools, batteries, squeegees, and other small parts. The bottom is also a rubberized, waterproof material.

It combined with my luggage duffle fit my entire setup of 4 guns, matching parts kits, 2 packs, a vest, 2 masks, tons of pods, several hoppers, many pairs of gloves, many bandanas, tons of tools, 2 air-tanks, several CO2 tanks, spare regs, air accessories, etc. I only need to use a smallish duffle or a backpack to fit the rest of my stuff (spare cloths, some doo-dads) and right there is about 100lbs worth of paintball equipment.

Best part is, the bag is only about $30. Compare that to $40 for an Empire backpack and you can't go wrong.

WillBrayJr
12-30-2009, 06:41 AM
I plan on buying a Level 10 bolt for the Mag in March and having AGD tune it for me if they're willing.

mpsd
12-30-2009, 08:33 AM
I'd change the V-Force Profiler for JT's Flex 8 or Proflex. Much more comfortable for about the same price. I had a green Profiler mask but I had to sell it and go back to my old, good JTs. The Profiler sits just too high on the forehead and the sweat kept coming into my eyes during play, which was horrible. But that's me. I sweat a lot in the head LOL

Spider-TW
12-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Actually, there is far more engineering and design work for CF tanks over aluminum tanks.

CF tanks sacrifice nothing, AL tanks you're sacrificing weight and pressure capacity for cost.
Yep, for CF you just sacrifice money! You see that a lot. :p

WillBrayJr
12-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Yep, for CF you just sacrifice money! You see that a lot. :p
Especially in paintball :dance:

Mongoose
12-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Actually, there is far more engineering and design work for CF tanks over Steel tanks.

CF tanks sacrifice nothing, Steel tanks you're sacrificing weight and pressure capacity for cost.

Fixed.

If your gonna shoot a mag i strongly advise getting a CF tank, my choice is a 68.

i would worry more about the reg you put on it then the tank itself....just keep it dated

Have a Great and Safe New Years everyone :cheers:

WillBrayJr
12-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Still open to recommendations. I want the website as close to Indiana as possible so I don't have to wait forever.

WillBrayJr
12-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Doesn't look like I'm going to get out of this cheap :eek:

AGD Minimag (Tunaman is selling me one)
Ninja 68/4500 CF tank (If Allowed)
Empire E-Vents Goggles
NXE Backpack
VL Force Loader
Kingman Java Squeegee
Thumb Screw Elbow

I'll have to settle for a rental tank if the apartment manager doesn't allow me to have the Ninja on the property.

Shirow
12-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Doesn't look like I'm going to get out of this cheap :eek:

AGD Minimag (Tunaman is selling me one)
Ninja 68/4500 CF tank (If Allowed)
Empire E-Vents Goggles
NXE Backpack
VL Force Loader
Kingman Java Squeegee
Thumb Screw Elbow

I'll have to settle for a rental tank if the apartment manager doesn't allow me to have the Ninja on the property.

Looks better to me. The E-Vents should last you a long time and you won't need to replace 'em anytime soon, the Ninja tank is pretty awesome. I have a ninja reg on my tank and I've been really happy with it.

fierymartel
12-30-2009, 02:45 PM
I just bought a new Crossfire 45 ci for $109, that's $124 with 2 day shipping, or you can go free economy shipping. They are all out of the 45 ci high pressure tanks. only have 68 ci left in high and they are $149

WillBrayJr
12-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Would a gravity hopper be fine on the Minimag :confused:

zondo
12-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Would a gravity hopper be fine on the Minimag :confused:

Shake and feed? It'll be okay... an agitating hopper would be better and less frustrating, like a Revvy. You don't need a force feed for a minimag unless you pneu it or make it electric.

WillBrayJr
12-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Shake and feed? It'll be okay... an agitating hopper would be better and less frustrating, like a Revvy. You don't need a force feed for a minimag unless you pneu it or make it electric.

Okay scratch the gravity hopper. The cheapest electric hopper is the VL Revolution Force Feed for $30.

fierymartel
12-30-2009, 05:58 PM
I used a shake n feed this weekend. worked great
I might try that tacoma gravity feed.

WillBrayJr
12-31-2009, 06:43 AM
I went ahead early this morning and purchased a Minimag package from MiniMagMojo for a flat $300 :headbang: I know it's not the best set-up but it'll get me into paintball sooner and I can upgrade as I play :cool:

WillBrayJr
12-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Just did some math :eek: I saved about $200 by buying that package :dance:

georgeyew
12-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Great! Now go and have fun with it!

Shirow
12-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Just did some math :eek: I saved about $200 by buying that package :dance:

What was in it?

WillBrayJr
12-31-2009, 11:27 AM
I'll try linking yu to post#2 so you can see for yourself ;)

www.automags.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2685442&postcount=2

warbeak2099
12-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Eh, $300 was a little high for that. I wouldn't have paid more than $225-250.

Shirow
12-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Decent setup though, you should be all set although you will probably need a barrel sock, most fields don't like plugs.

WillBrayJr
12-31-2009, 12:10 PM
A barrel cover is on the top of my list when I get some more money ;)

zondo
12-31-2009, 12:15 PM
A barrel cover is on the top of my list when I get some more money ;)

Some fields will let you use one of theirs from a rental, but you should be able to find some for <$3.

WillBrayJr
12-31-2009, 12:17 PM
The Plex in Laotto, IN requires a barrel cover. I don't think they rent them though.

WillBrayJr
12-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Eh, $300 was a little high for that. I wouldn't have paid more than $225-250.
You have to factor in shipping too. It's alot cheaper than buying everything seperately.

smeek
12-31-2009, 12:55 PM
Do me a favor and add a macroline kit to replace the microline on the gun to your list of things to upgrade. At least it looks like micro to me.

WillBrayJr
12-31-2009, 01:21 PM
Will Do ;) Do you think the shop at the Plex would stock those :confused:

smeek
12-31-2009, 01:32 PM
They should.

WillBrayJr
12-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Now all I have to do is contact my ride at PB-Nation to take me paintballin'. Just in case he does something stupid like strands me, I'm going to have a back-up ride :clap:

zondo
12-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Now all I have to do is contact my ride at PB-Nation to take me paintballin'. Just in case he does something stupid like strands me, I'm going to have a back-up ride :clap:

Ahh... to be 16 again...

WillBrayJr
12-31-2009, 02:04 PM
Try 26 :p It's either live on my own or live with mommy and have a car. I chose to live on my own ;)

zondo
12-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Try 26 :p It's either live on my own or live with mommy and have a car. I chose to live on my own ;)

Ahh... to be 26 again... ;)

classic68
12-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Congratulations!!! Welcome to the addiction. Looks like you have everything you need to start playing except a barrel sock. Many fields will not allow the barrel plugs anymore.

I use a classic 68 mag with an aluminum tank. The field I play at plays 2 games and then we go back to the staging area to regroup, stock up, and air up. I have never run out of air. I am not throwing cases of paint per game either. It all depends on how you want to play. I use the Archon gravity feed hopper. I like a 100% mech marker. I don't want a dead battery stopping me from playing. My buddy has 3 batteries he needs to play. He is always changing them out. He is now using the Archon hopper too for semi-auto play (no ramping...). It keeps up just fine for a classic/mini mag.

WillBrayJr
12-31-2009, 02:24 PM
Ahh... to be 26 again... ;)
That's more like it :cool:

WillBrayJr
01-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Everything arrived just now. The only thing that missing was a gravity hopper :D