PDA

View Full Version : What's the coldest you've used your Automag?

jrod
12-31-2009, 12:01 PM
What's the coldest temperature that you've used your Automag?

A few years back, I used my Tac One (x-valve, level 10) when it was 14 deg. F.

After a few hours, I was getting severe barrel breaks. If I remember correctly, the valve cycled well. I think the stock Tac One barrel was a little small for the winter paint. I had to switch to my backup Tippmann 98 with a lapco bigshot.

Could it be that my aluminum barrel shrunk in the cold weather? Either way, I'm going out this Saturday and the forecast high is 11 deg. F.

SSP REAPER
12-31-2009, 12:03 PM
I've used mine when it was 9* outside (a couple weeks ago actually) and went with a carbon fiber barrel. Didn't have any problems once I oiled it :bounce:

cougar20th
12-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Ive run mine in around 0 degrees. Never had a problem. But thats a pumpmag so shooting fast isnt really a issue. Cant remember but I was mostlikly using my old brass J&J. Its the barrel I perfer.

athomas
12-31-2009, 03:02 PM
You'll want a big barrel in the cold. That way, any brittleness in the balls won't get stressed by pushing it into a snug fitting barrel.

jrod
12-31-2009, 03:02 PM
You guys aren't giving me any excuses not to play this weekend. It's going to be hard to talk my son out of it.

By the way, do you think a pnuemag will have any troubles in the cold?

Smoothice
12-31-2009, 04:27 PM
I've played in the snow with co2 once. But that was back when 2 bps was fast enough...

Watcher
12-31-2009, 04:56 PM
Played with it at freezing temperature give or take. Not a problem.

Not even a lot of barrel breaks throughout the day, because the paint was halfway decent. I had a whole bag blenderize on me and a pod of left over DXS Silver was a minefield, however, but it was an isolated incident. The pod was just blasted off at the renge, and the bag was tossed after one traumatic pod.
None of the breaks were the mag's fault, and all of the breaks were the paint's fault (partially due to cold)

Used the stock RT barrel, RT Pro valve, lvl10, gold spring, 3 shims, shimmed on/off, and used the RT function several times.

Not even a hiccup.

Frizzle Fry
12-31-2009, 05:06 PM
15* with c02 in a classic; needed oil and I used a 3' loop of SS line for expanson,

FA22RaptorF22
12-31-2009, 05:09 PM
I let my X rip outside in about 10 degree whether off 1800psi nitrogen @ ~30bps.

.................Yeah................Automags :D

CatoRockwell
12-31-2009, 05:32 PM
6 degrees no problems. May I recommend you get a good winter paint. Draxxus' winter grade has been phenominal.

Can't say that very many markers work well. We had
some problems with some g3's and other electros this last weekend out
in the snow but the mags and tippmanns ran fine

classic68
12-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Sub-zero!!! (-15 with wind chill) I kept getting liquid CO2 in the gun (days b4 HPA). I used to have an expansion chamber and run a remote line. It was really cold that day.

rawbutter
01-01-2010, 12:46 PM
By the way, do you think a pnuemag will have any troubles in the cold?

I've played with my pneumag in below-freezing weather. It worked perfectly fine. I'm not sure about 11 degrees, though. Be sure to post up after you're finished and let us know how it worked.

I would echo what others have said about small barrels with cold paint. Overbore if you can.

Sniper Steve
01-01-2010, 05:40 PM
7-8* with no breaks, using a ceramic barrel.

jrod
01-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Well I chickened out last week. It was below 10 deg. F. We went this week. It was a balmy 18 deg. F. Not much wind, which helped a lot.

Pneu-mag: Aired it up at the test range and it fired well. After about ten minutes, it wouldn't fire. I haven't looked at it yet, but I suspect one of two things. 1) The lpr rotated to too low a pressure and wouldn't activate the ram. 2) Some moisture got in there and the pneumatics froze up. I'll take a look in a few hours (I'm really tired right now. It's hard tramping around in 14 inches of snow).

M1 Carbine (Classic valve, level 10): My marker worked well all day. No issues at all. The only problem I had was in the second game when I failed to remove the barrel sock after the break. The worst part was that it took me three shots to realize what I did. I've been playing for over 20 years and I've never done that before. I'm going to blame the cold.

Tippmann M98: My son used the trusty backup after the pneu-mag went down. As usual, no problems at all. I've never had a situation when that marker failed to work. I forget how old it is, but I got it new when it first came out to replace my 68 special.

Overall, we had a great day. Because of the small number of players, we easily got in twice as many games as we normally would. Next time, I'll bring my Tac One. The rifle was just too bulky with the remote and all the extra clothes that I was wearing.

bojangles1983
01-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Played for 3 hours with my emag 2 weeks ago at 14 degrees, not a single misfeed or ball break. My friend went through 4 electros without ever getting one to work, I offered him my qbow... :) gotta love mags

OPBN
01-11-2010, 03:23 PM
I played in weather that started out at aroung Zero in the morning and warmed up to a balmy 19 or so. Honestly, EVERYONE was having issues, myself included. I was running a Retro valved mag with an old J&J Chrome barrel, and I got a break about every 10th ball or so. I spent more time cleaning my barrel than actually playing. My brother went through both a Q Loader equipped A5, X7 and SP1 before grabbing my old bone stock M98 back up with an SP barrel. It was the only thing he could get to work. I partially think the issue was more the Q loader than the markers, but....

With that said it was pretty much agreed upon that we would have had more luck throwing the paint at each other than we had trying to shoot it out of markers. At one point, I jumped out in front of an open doorway and some dude and I sat there 20 feet apart attempting to shoot each other. After shotgun blasting paint at each other for 10-15 seconds, we both dropped our markers, laughed hysterically, and agreed to call ourselves out.

Besides the Tippy 98's, about the only "weapons" getting kills that day were the 3 or 4 guys running around with Nerf launchers.

We were using Polar Ice I beleive...

flyingpootang
01-11-2010, 07:11 PM
I used my Mag in 67* weather here i n California. Burrrr that was a cold winter :cool:

pump
01-12-2010, 12:47 AM
i use my mag with CO2 in the dead of winter and no problems what so ever

om3n
01-12-2010, 12:53 PM
i use my mag with CO2 in the dead of winter and no problems what so ever

I used my tac-one in about 20* weather the other day with no problems. It wasn't as accurate at usual though... but I think it's because I was using summer paint.

Ando
01-12-2010, 12:56 PM
I used my Mag in 67* weather here i n California. Burrrr that was a cold winter :cool:
Who else hates this guy right now http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z310/MerionMom/Miscellany/hand-raisingsmilies.gif

pump
01-12-2010, 04:54 PM
I used my tac-one in about 20* weather the other day with no problems. It wasn't as accurate at usual though... but I think it's because I was using summer paint.well its because i live in Hawaii :P
hows that Ando!

Old School 626
01-12-2010, 05:37 PM

You wild man!!! I would not play in anything under 70!

Seriously, I've played with a classic using C02 in 50-60F weather and the problem was "chilling the bottle" (when C02 goes to a solid state) not the marker or the paint.

FA22RaptorF22
01-12-2010, 06:38 PM
I just ran 180rds through my X in semi auto outside in 10ºF weather. Got 18bps (cap was my fingers) no chops, no breaks, all on target through the stock barrel!!

Edit: before I had the mag tuned inside (70ºF mind you) and tried it outside (10ºF) and it had bolt stick. Went up one half carrier and all was perfect!

So in recap, a 60º difference requires a change of half a carrier size.

:clap: Mags!!