PDA

View Full Version : Automag/RT Pro Valve Compatibility???

audioSLAVE
12-31-2009, 09:54 PM
I've only really owned an Automag and I am building another one. I was wondering if an RT Pro valve and/or X valve would be compatible on your standard Automag set up, body, rail etc., yes or no? If yes do I need to buy any other compatible parts for the valve in order to make it work on the automag set up i.e. an RT sear etc. I only know some of the basics for the Automag and still learning at this point, I am just not sure what components are compatible with other makes and models of the mag family. I know the mini/micro/auto are somewhat compatible, but remember hearing something that the original RT not being compatible at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated or if there was a link to another thread I might have missed please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

maniacmechanic
01-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Just about all Mag stuff is interchangable , other than the Classic RT stuff , due to the fact the air goes thru the bottom of the valve rather than the side
Grip frames for AM/MM have "wings" on the so they are not compatable with flat bottom rails , Though the "wings" can be milled off , another thing you will run into is the front grip frame screw pad on the bodies , stainless bodies have a " square" pad , while ULE bodies have a round pad , this can also be taken care of with a little modification
Thier are some more things that are different but minor , Mags are like old Chevys ya got smallblocks & big blocks things will cross in each family but not so much between them

athomas
01-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Not all grip frames have the wings. My 1993 level 7 68Automag had a standard flat top grip frame. Just be aware that some of the older mags may have the winged frames.

Only the automag and minimag bodies had the "square pim" (its more oval than square but has two flat sides) where the grip frame bolts to the rail and body. The emag and retro mag stainless bodies had round pims as did the newer ULE bodies. The emag and retro mag bodies had pims that were a tiny bit longer than the pims on the automag and minimag bodies so you have to be aware when putting these onto a standard automag rail with a slightly shallower pim hole. A file may be needed to shorten the pim to prevent bottoming out. The "square pim" can be rounded with a file to be made to fit a emag/retromag rail.