PDA

View Full Version : Simpler Regulator design

Ze-
02-05-2002, 12:01 PM
Please pokes holes in the design i am posting ( I think it would work but aint sure ...)

Yours Sincerely ze

soilent green
02-05-2002, 12:12 PM
I don't think it could work like its drawn it looks to me it woudn't have any effective regulating power it would flow air and regulate to a certain degree but would have a low flow rate and would not be consistant

Have Blue
02-05-2002, 11:24 PM
On the contrary, I think it would flow quite well. And pondering the design for a bit, I think its output pressure may be much less dependent on input pressure than the more common designs. I like it and may just have to try machining one up to see if the thing actually works.

Only problem I can forsee would be the o-ring sliding over the input port, but since the pressure differential there would be minimal, I don't think it would be a big problem at all.

CRySyS
02-06-2002, 12:12 AM
Looks cool, I'd like to see it tried out as well. The only critisism I can come up with is that your draging at least one o-ring across a hole, thats begging for a problem o-ring. I replace a lot of rings with chunks taken out of them where they meet a hole. The latest to come to mind was a Mayhem. The spool drags a small o-ring up and down across a hole and chews it up in a matter of weeks. Good production quality could negate that though.

Ze-
02-06-2002, 01:55 AM
Great to hear that i got a nice design for a inline electro-nelson being drawn up... But I suck at tolerances and how much space between moving parts.
Have Blue Really good to hear that your thinking of knocking up a prototype (I would say just make the piston the same size as something you already have (Sidewinder comes to mind and use the spring pack out of that :) )

Yours Sincerely Ze

Ps Have blue if you do knock up a proto might think of intergrating the asa or something in the front and have the back open and then thread in a adjuster to change spring pressure :)(Viola one adjustable reg :))

Also have blue still working on airsmith log board but i got depressed for a while :( But been thinking of having a upload facility for pictures like here what do you think?

Crysys Don't worry i been thinking about it for a long time (Had this idea for ages :) Hopefully the electro nelson is finally coming together )

Have Blue
02-06-2002, 09:18 AM
Yes, I'd certainly make it an adjustable spring pack. I'll start cranking out some dimensions on CAD - it would probably take me a good long time to get around to making a prototype, but at least it's a simple enough design.

JanStah
02-06-2002, 10:54 AM
Call me stupid but I dont get it.

There's nothing putting pressure on the spring or horizontal pressure on the piston, so how is it going to constrict the air-flow when it recieves an input spike?

Explain thyself sir...

Cheers

Jan.

[Edit] Had another look at it. Are you saying that the OUTPUT pressure causes the piston to shut off the input port?

Hmm... I suspect that it might have a pressure spike when first gassed up or when there's a lot of gas going thru (high-flow)...

Have Blue
02-06-2002, 11:43 AM
Yes, the output pressure causes the piston to compress the spring, shutting off the gas flow. Exactly the same way that a standard design works (but the 'grenade pin' and reg seat have been removed and replaced by a port in the sidewall).

pbjosh
02-06-2002, 05:38 PM
Here, these are really fast and sloppy, but......

I did add another o-ring at the top of cup so the seal will not bleed air above the top of the cup. And I didn't draw the spring. It was just a quickie,

Josh

pbjosh
02-06-2002, 05:40 PM
And from an angle.........

pbjosh
02-07-2002, 03:40 AM
Well, after looking at this I am going to make a couple of changes for ya,

First I am going to put a step in the piston and the reg body, because the top lip of the cup will also work as a piston area. So, if the top lip is thicker (the 'can' walls thicker) we can use a larger o-ring above the hole. This will make the reg more dependable. Also, the step will keep the piston from moving too far down, say if the reg gets a burst and over fills, which would cause the upper piston o-ring to move past the supply air, causing total over pressure of the system. And by thickening the reg walls the air supply could come in from several ports, making for better flow.

Just some thoughts. I will drop some more angles, and maybe add some layers also. That was just a 30 minute freebe for fun, so no fancy stuff.

Josh

Ze-
02-07-2002, 05:42 AM
The only reason there is no step in the body is that i intend to use the reg body also as the valve chamber with adjuster in back so i need it straight but your welcome to do whatever you want with design , I am glad it is getting so much response :) think closed bolt nelsonish using 2 2 ways valves ( out and exhaust (3 ports , in , out and exhaust) with body 6inches by 1.25 inches round :)

Your Sincerely Ze
Ps help with solenoid valve needed , i need to find a 2 way solenoid valve but none i have looked at are what i am looking for

soilent green
02-11-2002, 10:17 AM
I was confused like JanStah after seeing that cad drawing it looks good but I've noticed the same problem of Orings moveing over holes in check valves

Have Blue
02-11-2002, 10:37 AM
I'd put in a relief vent rather than just limiting the downward travel of the piston. That way, air can still vent even if there's a torn o-ring.