PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a pump...any suggestions?

Ratt
01-17-2010, 01:46 PM
As many markers as I have, what I don't have is a pump. I would eventually like to play some pump games. I want to buy one, and I want a nice one, but I don't want to spend $500 on it. I am looking to spend no more than $200. I have been shopping around on ebay, and I see a lot of WGP pumps, I've seen some Azodins, (I don't want a Tippmann)...any opinions?

Also, can someone explain to me what is a 'Stock Class' pump? Are there different classes of pumps? If so, what are they?

vf-xx
01-17-2010, 01:52 PM
For your price range, either a used Phantom or a sniper fits the bill. It's just a matter of heft and style that you're looking for.

As for Open class vs stock class, it's all in the feeds and the air source.

Open class: allows for constant air (bulk CO2 or HPA) and a full hopper

Stock class: 12gram c02 powered, 10rnd stickfeed with a rock and cock required.

I suggest you start with open class and transition to stock if you get into pumping.

mpsd
01-17-2010, 02:16 PM
For $200 you can get a nice pumped cocker. If you look closer at eBay and agree to wait some time, you may also find a used Lapco Grey Ghost (I got one there for $220 or so).
You may also get a Phantom for that price. They are light, smooth and easy to maintain as any other Nelson.

That's what I would recommend.

:cheers:

Ratt
01-17-2010, 03:52 PM
I suggest you start with open class and transition to stock if you get into pumping.

That is a good suggestion, but I don't want to end up buying 2 different guns. I think I will hunt around for a nice stock-class. I really want a pump mag. I might try to buy a kit (if one becomes available) and try my hand at putting one together.

By the way...is it me, or is it kinda of pointless having a double trigger frame on a pump?

Watcher
01-17-2010, 04:01 PM
That is a good suggestion, but I don't want to end up buying 2 different guns. I think I will hunt around for a nice stock-class. I really want a pump mag. I might try to buy a kit (if one becomes available) and try my hand at putting one together.

By the way...is it me, or is it kinda of pointless having a double trigger frame on a pump?

If you want the ability to transition between open class and stock class, a Phantom is the way to go. If you find a VSC (vertical stock class. Vertical because of the trigger-guard mounted ASA) Phantom and pick up a direct feed body for it, all you have to do to run a hopper and tank is swap the bodies and add a bottomline.

A Lapco GreyGhost actually accepts it's own clamping-feed which bolts on to the stock body, but the Ghost is a much more expensive and harder to find option.

Yes, a double trigger is pointless on a pump and, IMHO, uncomfortable.

Ratt
01-17-2010, 04:44 PM
I went perusing through the Phantom website...I really want one of those. I may have to wait longer, but eventually I will have to get a Phantom.

drg
01-17-2010, 07:49 PM
I would say to strongly consider an Azodin with a single trigger.