PDA

View Full Version : New Barrel? AMAZING!

irbodden
02-04-2002, 07:27 PM
There is a new barrel that adjusts bores byitself AS your fire. Its called the Slayer SA barrel from Paintballonline.com, AMAZING. Anyone have any idea how good it is? Wowzers!

Rynoboy06
02-04-2002, 07:33 PM
I don't know about this. I'm going to need more info before believing it's the next big new thing, and the fact that it's from core doesn't help my opinion. I had a pair of gloves from them, and the dye came out onto my hands when I sweated. I'd end the day and my hands would look like I'd used a sharpie marker on them. Maybe I got one from a bad batch, but I don't trust 'em. Anybody have one?

hitech
02-04-2002, 07:44 PM
When I first the post I thought it was a joke. They ain't joking. It looks like only the first inch or so of the barrel is adjustable. After that it is probably a too-big-barrel. Here is the description and a picture.

The new Core Pro Series Slayer SA Barrel has a unique bearing design within the barrel. There are eight separate bearings that carefully grip the sides of a paintball. The bearing system is self adjusting so there is no need to worry about what size paint you have. Simply put, perfect barrel to paint match every time you play. The best part is that there are no inserts to mess around with. The eight different bearings act like an insert and are permanently attached to the barrel. The design is truly awesome.

Let's not forget that the barrel shoots like a dream. Line up your target, pull the trigger, and down it goes.

-sCaN-
02-04-2002, 07:52 PM
until u break a ball and ur bearings then rust...oops

sCaN

vf-xx
02-04-2002, 07:56 PM
It seems to me like a glorified ball detent. It doesn't change the bore size of the barrel (except in that small section). Even then I don't see how they seal around those bearings. It seems overrated and innefficent. I, however, have not tried it.

manike
02-04-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by vf-xx
It seems to me like a glorified ball detent. It doesn't change the bore size of the barrel (except in that small section).

Agreed. But the principle is interesting...

manike

GallagherAtWar
02-04-2002, 08:11 PM
give it a chance it sounds cool

and i doubt i rusts

if it works it could save a lot of time and money on the stupid freak it system

maybe they could come out with one that has it at the end like 4inchs of barings that would be cool!

rifleman
02-04-2002, 08:26 PM
Sweet Concept! Hopefully it works!

Adam

irbodden
02-04-2002, 08:36 PM
Manike, IMO, it would work as a barrel how its designed. Thats a good 3 inches of adjustable bore or so, my mag barrel is only 4.

If it really could change bore while being fired, its is THE best.

Doc Nickel
02-04-2002, 08:40 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but if you have a close look at that barrel in the photo, which appears to be for an Angel, note that the ball will travel over an inch and a half, when fired, before it even reaches the "bearings"?

I'm not entirely sure I'd want a barrel with a loose bore for 2", an inch of floating, variable bore made up of sections, then back to another 9" of loose bore again.

Doc.

LoveMyMag
02-04-2002, 08:46 PM
Hmmm....

Who makes it?

FooTemps
02-04-2002, 08:55 PM
CORE makes the barrel...

X-Plosive
02-04-2002, 09:05 PM
the bearings aren't more than an inch long and are they held together by black nitrile o-rings? It reminds me of the JT speedpod in some ways.

SuperOrangeTicTac
02-04-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Doc Nickel
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but if you have a close look at that barrel in the photo, which appears to be for an Angel, note that the ball will travel over an inch and a half, when fired, before it even reaches the "bearings"?

I'm not entirely sure I'd want a barrel with a loose bore for 2", an inch of floating, variable bore made up of sections, then back to another 9" of loose bore again.

Doc.

well put doc, well put :)

nutz
02-04-2002, 09:08 PM
even if it doesnt work..... at least they tryed! nothing bad ever comes from trying! well, most of the time atleast :D

Webmaster
02-04-2002, 10:06 PM
<bangs head in frustration> its a METAL TUBE!!! Bore sizing only works in a limited fashion! No amount of doo hickeys are going to give you amazing lazer accuracy!!!

And certainly not 1" of control bore!

ShinyGuy
02-04-2002, 10:09 PM
Doc hit the nail on the head. Nevertheless, I'd like to see someone try the concept for a longer distance. It probably wont work with existing barrel threads since the first inch or two of the barrel has to fit inside the body of the marker.

a_malfunction
02-04-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by nutz
even if it doesnt work..... at least they tryed! nothing bad ever comes from trying! well, most of the time atleast :D

Try? There is no try! Do or do not!

Ityl
02-05-2002, 09:38 AM
[i]And certainly not 1" of control bore! [/B]

unless you talk to OTP :)

Miscue
02-05-2002, 09:41 AM
I'm awaiting the rubber teflon coated barrel that stretches to fit your paint. :)

cphilip
02-05-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Miscue
I'm awaiting the rubber teflon coated barrel that stretches to fit your paint. :)

I was actualy thinking of trying that! Until you posted and it now sounds so rediculous...;)

I must say the darn thing sure has some cool factor going for it however worthless it may turn out to be.

:rolleyes:

shartley
02-05-2002, 10:06 AM
It is an interesting concept.... sounds like something AGD would play with... and might I add that if it WAS AGD that was trying this I would BET that the response would be a bit different. ;)

My point is simple, as others have said.. It may not be the best way to do it, but at least someone is giving it a shot. I would like to see how it actually works, but fear it may cause some problems when the ball gets to the “resizing” portion of the system (as Doc pointed out). But the fact that they are trying is a good thing.

For those who say:

Try? There is no try! Do or do not!How soon we forget the superbolt problems? Almost every product has its glitches, and they often get released to the consumers before they are all worked out. Even AGD has had this happen to them, and for more than one product. Heck even the Warp Feeds had problems (shhh as well as other products). So yes… at least they are trying.

Again, this looks like a Tom Kaye project. LOL It is forward thinking…. But as with many things before their time, it may not be the wonder product or solution we all would like… but it IS a start. I say thumbs up for the idea…. But still wait for any test results from actual users of the product.

cphilip
02-05-2002, 10:36 AM
You know years ago I was faced with the delema of how to extract or collect Semen from a Rabbit. Seriously! And I constructed a device with a piece or PVC pipe and inserted a large rubber tubing and then folded the ends over at each end of the tube. I drilled a hole through the side and glued on a shraeder (sp?) valve. Into this valve we would pump warm water with a large syringe to inflate the inside of the "Artificial Vagina" to close or open the inside diameter of the thing as needed and create the warmth needed to simulate a Rabbits Vagina. One end was for the Rabbit to ejaculate into and the other was where a test tube for collection of the semen was inserted and the semen would run into it. With proper lubrication, stimulus from a "teaser" Doe, a Rabbit skin wrapped over the handlers arm and (very important) proper PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) to keep the Buck from biting the snot out of you, we succeeded in collect in Rabbit semen with great results...

...now that I have lost you let me try and make my point...

An inflatable diaphram type of barrel, same prinipal as above only on one end, I envisioned a while back but I was too scared to even bring this forth until now. Think about it. You could use air or some kind of fluid even. Sounded crazy until now.:)

The above is a true story...Let the Rabbit jokes begin...:eek:

shartley
02-05-2002, 10:54 AM
I don’t know Phil… that story is sure a hard one to beat. ;)

media
02-05-2002, 11:05 AM
I'm willing to bet the "amazing" hot female rabbit vagina simulator semen collector works better than the "amazing" self adjusting barrel.

The barrel might turn out to be "cheap" and you'll feel ripped off.

The rabbit vagina simulator might leave you feeling "cheap" but at least the rabbit will enjoy himself.
:)

Webmaster
02-05-2002, 11:45 AM
Shartley says: "It may not be the best way to do it, but at least someone is giving it a shot... But the fact that they are trying is a good thing."

Wait wait - you are CONSTANTLY pointed out faults in other peoples work from AGD to APG and everything in between. Insisting that anything other than 100% quality for the superbolts was unproffessional and unaccptable. Then you condemn APG for thier lackluster quality and editing. When someone defends those people as them trying to do thier best - you dismiss it, that in the professional world perfection is the only acceptable result.

Then you come on here and take some gimmick piece of junk with the likely hood of any possible performance enhancements near the zero range - and you give them "cherri-ho good try, chap!" slap on the back?

I thought you were a perfectionist - maybe your real motive is to just say the opposite of popular concensus for attention.

thecavemankevin
02-05-2002, 11:52 AM
Mini(rabit) stop humping the pvc pipe :D

the only problem would that i can think of with phils idea would be a sort of wave effect.

Invision a watter bed, there are waves that will come back and mess with the second ball after the first one is fired.
Plus don't forget about uneven friction, that will distort the balls direction.

can't wait to see the communities reaction

Webmaster, i have thought the same about Shartley for a long time.

cphilip
02-05-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Webmaster
...maybe your real motive is to just say the opposite of popular concensus...

Ah Ha! You have punctured close to the heart of the Shartley mistique! He is "the Devil" for sure ;)

Hey you two don't be overshadowing my Rabbit story will ya!?!?!? :D

cphilip
02-05-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by thecavemankevin
the only problem would that i can think of with phils idea would be a sort of wave effect.

NO...not with real thick rubber tubeing. That eliminates that problem. However I am certain in my previous application that the "wave" motion may have enhanced the specimen volume? Only a theory that I do not intend to prove out. :rolleyes:

I was gonna say this might just be a topic approaching the worthy of "Deep Blue" now but upon reflection it may be more like "Deep Do Do"... :D

shartley
02-05-2002, 12:30 PM
Webmaster

Shartley says: "It may not be the best way to do it, but at least someone is giving it a shot... But the fact that they are trying is a good thing."

Wait wait - you are CONSTANTLY pointed out faults in other peoples work from AGD to APG and everything in between. Insisting that anything other than 100% quality for the superbolts was unproffessional and unaccptable. Then you condemn APG for thier lackluster quality and editing. When someone defends those people as them trying to do thier best - you dismiss it, that in the professional world perfection is the only acceptable result.

Then you come on here and take some gimmick piece of junk with the likely hood of any possible performance enhancements near the zero range - and you give them "cherri-ho good try, chap!" slap on the back?

I thought you were a perfectionist - maybe your real motive is to just say the opposite of popular concensus for attention.
You are going to end up with big problems if you want to make this into a Shartley issue. Your post took one part of a total post I made and highlighted it as if that was ALL I said… and that was NOT all I said.

As for me supposedly saying that I insist on 100% quality for the superbolts and that anything less was unprofessional and unacceptable.. BS. I pointed out that the AGD Fan Club wanted to point fingers in every direction BUT to where the problem was. And if you do the math for how many super bolts were actually out there (by Tom’s own numbers posted here on AO.. as being only 150) and then calculate the failure rate, it was not a small number. My position was not that AGD made a bad product, it was how it was all handled.. big difference there. But I will NOT get into it again. It has been over.. and for quite some time.

Your cheap shot at me and my “motives” here on AO will be reported to Tom. You are partially correct though, I often show the opposite side of situations, but I also often times don’t state that I believe one way or the other…. and often times I openly stating I am JUST showing the opposite side. The rest is a blatant attempt to discredit me openly on AO… nothing more.

I did not make that product. I do not speak for them. But you DO speak for AO (by being a key staff member), and making this into a personal attack on me (when many others posted as well.. and even said about the same thing) is unacceptable. This post to you is also far from being a flame. I will not stand for this, and I am sure Tom will not either.

Miscue
02-05-2002, 12:37 PM
Thread closed on account of rabbits + pvc, among other things.